“Not a 5-star hotel.”
Review of Peter I

Peter I
Ranked #35 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed here for an extended weekend in october.
First off, the standard is not five star, it´s not as luxurys and the pampering is not what you wolud expect at a five star hotel, they should provide free wi-fi.
Still it´s a good hotel. The high points being ,the great location and the rooms are also verry spaiouis and comftarble.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I had a really clean, spacious room with a comfy bed and large bathroom. It was on the 5th floor and could still hear the traffic which didn’t bother me but perhaps ask for a side room if you are a light sleeper. The breakfast was great, with a large choice of hot and cold options. Moscow is an expensive city but actually wasn’t as bad as I thought. A beer in the hotel was £6 and I had a gorgeous soup in the bar for £5. Its a great hotel to stay in anyway but the highlight is definitely that its only a 5-10min walk to all the sights. The Metropole and the Ararat Hyatt are slightly closer and looked like lovely hotels but I imagine the price difference is huge. The staff we met in the Peter 1st were friendly and polite, we ended up booking our transfer back to the airport with them.
We had a lovely meal at a restaurant called Dodo’s which was about 5 min walk north of the hotel. It is a gorgeous restaurant that doesn’t feel touristy at all (but does have an English translation in the menu) A meal for 2 with drinks (4 bottles of beer and 2 cocktails) was £80. Cocktails were cheaper than bottles of beer. The menu was seasonal with a cocktail list to match, I had a lovely mushroom & hazelnut risotto with a chilli baked butternut squash and my friend had a beef ravioli.... both fantastic and we had autumnal vodka cocktails as recommended by the waiter.
It is always good to be cautious but I felt that many of my fears of safety were unfounded. Moscow, bizarrely felt really quiet compared to London. We found it really easy to get around and booked a fantastic day tour with Moscow Private Tours, simply to avoid the hassle of trying to buy tickets and read signs but it was probably the best thing we did as we learnt so much about the city from a local point of view.
My only negative point about Moscow was the traffic. If you are going to get taxi transfers from the airports then definitely give yourself extra time... even more so than is advised. Our transfer into Moscow at 5pm on a Thursday took 1hr 15 min but the transfer back at 2.30pm on a Saturday took over 2 hours and the journey was pretty hair-raising, it was the only time I felt unsafe during my time there. Although it takes a long time, for me personally I still would have taken a taxi rather than try and navigate the train/tube option. I’m sure if you are well prepared it will be fine but I personally didn’t want the hassle and risk going the wrong way. It worked out about £50 for a taxi each way.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kat B
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Visiting Moscow for just three days we decided for the Peter 1. Location is rather good, two blocks from the Bolshoi and about eight blocks from the Kremlin, For viisiting Moscow in spring or summer is quite good. The hotel is standard for the stars they show. There are some things like the internet that you have to pay that is quite incomprehensible for this kind of hotel. We had to get the manager who gave us a complimentary card because it was just to keep in touch with the family. We had also a problem with the shower that leaked so we had to change rooms.
Breakfast was ok. The previous contacts with the hotel by e-mail were accurate and good. The staf was polite but not out of the way to help.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Manuglim
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Me and my daughter stayed at Peter 1 hotel for 3 nights at July, 2011. The location is unbeatable - central and very safe (there is a Central Bank of Russia right across the street from the hotel and security there unlimited!). All main attractions during walking distance - Bolshoi Theater around the corner, Kremlin within 10 minutes walk, city tour bus stop next to Bolshoi Theater. Service was excellent, breakfast descent and included in the room rate, every night at the lobby live piano music - very relaxing.

Room Tip: room on higher floor - less noise from the street and at the end of corridor - more quiet, less feel...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LanaFomenko
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Most hotels in Moscow are extremely expensive for the services they offer. This was especially the case for Peter 1. Equivalent of a hotel for 80-100€ in rest of Europe, paid over 300€ per night basically for just a room. Internet connection to be paid separately, at around 5€/hr. Bad value for money, although very centrally located for the tourist sights.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dan79Spain
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Great location and newly renovated rooms. So far, so good. But $30 for Wi-Fi??
At the bar downstairs in the lobby, which was empty and without personality, they charged $10 for a glass of beer. Not good. Another very annoying feature was a business center that closed at 6:00pm.

This hotel, with some proper management, could be a very good hotel. But for now, it is simply a moderately priced hotel, in a great location, but one that leaves a bitter after-taste.....especially after the beer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DCGUY1
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The hotel was quite central, about 5-8 minutes to Red Square and the Moscow Kremlin. there were a number of restaurants close by, including the one in the hotel. While the street was busy, the noise did not cause me any discomfort. The only negative was the cost of wireless broadband which was about $A14 per hour without any ability to carry forward unused time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo