“Okay for the price”

Ranked #4 of 1,539 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
Chicago, Illinois
“Okay for the price”
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I booked a private room (shared bath) at Godzilla's for 3 nights the first week in June and we paid the equivilent of $70 US. The room had 2 twin size beds. We shared a bathroom and a shower, and never had to wait long for either. Both were clean, for the most part, though the paint was peeling in the bathroom. Our room locked and we felt safe at the hostel.
The thing I really did not like was that the hostel is located on a quiet side street -good for getting a good night's sleep, but I felt very uncomfortable walking through the deserted streets after dark. During the day, I felt perfectly safe, but I didn't want to stay out after dark, which was too bad.
They are able to register visas for a fee of 600 rubles, but it takes longer than they say it will.
Overall, it's an ok choice for Moscow on a budget. It's not quite as close to Red Square as we thought, maybe a 20-25 minute walk.

• Liked — Price was great for Moscow.
  • Disliked — Side street location made me uncomfortable coming back late at night.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmchaley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2006

The most surprising thing about Russia is that is not cheap. So, when my husband and I were planning a holiday with our two girls, aged 5 years and 3 years, hostel accommodation became the obvious choice. We booked Godzillas through the HI website, thus assured that it must at least meet the minimum HI criteria.

Godzillas occupies the 1st -3rd floors of an old and slightly rundown building - but the building did not seem to differ in standard to any other that we had seen in Moscow. (The most difficult aspect was carting luggage for a family of four up 3 flights of stairs!) We had a family room that was reasonably clean and met our basic needs; cleanliness of the toilet, bathroom and kitchenette was adequate but the common room was a bit shabby.

The hostel is within easy walking distance (and our 5yro daughter also walked the entire return distance) to all the major attractions and close to a restaurant/coffee strip.

The thing that distinguished Godzillas from other hostels that we stayed in was the level of customer service that they offered. As prearranged, a driver met us at the airport and conveyed us to the hostel for a very cheap fee, another transferred us to the train station on our day of departure (money is paid directly to the hostel so you can be assured not to be overcharged), the staff booked all rail transfers for us (Moscow - St P. and St P - Helsinki) at a third of the price being offered by online booking agents. Had we had any other requests, I am sure the staff would have done what they could to satisfy our requirements. All staff members were fluent in English and all tourist information was provided in English.

For the customer service alone, I would not hesitate staying at Godzillas again and recommend it to any traveller to Moscow. For those travelling with young children, I do not hesitate to recommend Godzillas as a safe and affordable option.

Karen (Australia)

• Liked — The customer service and quality of the staff.
  • Disliked — Could have been cleaner
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to walk up a lot of stairs! Use the customer service desk to book all taxi and rail transfes as it is much cheaper.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank kaggie
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Godzillas is a great place. Although, I might be biased because I met some great people who were also staying there. Here are the facts:
-Location is pretty good. Considering the inexpensive price to stay in the world's most expensive city, I don't consider a 10-15 minute walk to the Kremlin a problem.
-Staff. A bit disorganized, but very friendly and very competent. Just make sure you email them a day or so before you arrive to reconfirm.
-Quality: Clean, comfortable and roomy. There are two public kitchens, a TV sitting room, internet access and WiFi (but not through the hostel). Only two showers so waits in the morning can be a little long. But, not too much of a hassle.

Overall, I'd recommend Godzillas to anyone looking for an inexpensive place to stay.

• Liked — A bed that fits me! (I'm 6'4")
  • Disliked — Only two showers
  • Tips/Secrets — Reconfirm 24-48 hours before arrival!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HCaulfield420
Burton upon Trent
Reviewed December 31, 2005

Godzillas hostel is surely the best budget accommodation in Moscow. Located 5 minutes from the metro it is very easy to get into the city centre. The hostel could be hard to find if you don't go prepared. Their website has some maps of which the 'Taxi' map is particularly good because it has the roads in cyrilic letters as they are marked on road signs. The entrance is an unremarkable brown door with a small sign. Inside there are a number of bedrooms of varying sizes. I saw three and all had IKEA furnature and bedding. It is unusual in my hostelling experience to get comfortable beds with down duvets and pillows so this was a pleasant suprise. Communal bath/shower rooms are cleaned daily and I had no complaints here either. There will be two kitchens - although only one was finished when I stayed. The kitchens did get messy at times but they were also cleaned every day.
There is a small lounge with a tv although this is used for accommodation when things are busy.
Nearby there is a general food/alcohol shop and a pizza hut.
Having read reviews of other hostels in Moscow I was worried about security but my room door locked and the hostel has a safe in the office. I had no concerns about safety at all during my stay.
Yann is the resident sorter of all problems. His humour may catch you off guard when you arrive after a day of travelling but he is genuinely helpful. James, the owner, was also a great help with visa registrations which should be available at the hostel soon.
So are there any negatives? Well just a few. One end of the hostel is over a restaurant/disco. The music never went on after midnight but it did get pretty loud before that.
The hostel is a work in progress. One of the three rooms I went in was quite dusty and one kitchen lacks any cooking facilities. However during my stay a shiny new lamp appeared in my room and various things were being done to improve things. None of these were any trouble more significant than stepping over strips of fresh varnish in two doorways.
One night I had to change rooms. Unfortunately when I returned at the end of the day Yann had gone out so I couldn't get a key to my new room - with all my stuff inside! I eventually got into the new room at 1am.
Lastly, as with any hostel, a good night sleep depends on your fellow guests. There were two nights when a pair of ear plugs would have been handy.

Overall Godzillas is really good value for money. I was happy to accept its faults because it exceeded my expectations in many other ways.

• Stayed December 2005