“Cheap 'n cheerful”

Ranked #5 of 1,513 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap 'n cheerful”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I was quite apprehensive about the stay due to bad experiences with hostels but I was pleasantly surprised. My boyfriend and I stayed in an annexe room (so we had our own key) on the first floor which was kitted out with Ikea furniture-double bed, bedside table with lamp, occassional table and hangers on the walls for clothes. We were given bed linen and towels. It had a high ceiling which made it feel bigger and was at the back of the building, so the only real noise came from the washing machine next door which didn't bother either of us (if noise really bothers you, why not wear ear plugs?!). The staff were really helpful when we arrived and let us check into our room even though it was only 11:30 am. We spent most of our three days in Moscow out and about, so were not concerned about the size of the room as we only wanted it for sleeping. We were able to walk down to Red Square from the hostel and the metro was close by so it was in a good location for us. I also liked being able to use the free Wi-Fi in our room as I had my netbook with me but there are also two computers in the reception area for guests to use for free. The two showers closest to us on the whole worked fine, one morning there was only one so we had to wait 10 minutes to use it. As we weren't in a rush, it didn't matter. The cleanliness of the building was fine and we saw cleaners around the building, mopping and sweeping up. On the final day, we left our bags in the luggage store pretty much all day with no problems. Overall, I wasn't expecting hotel standard, so I wasn't disappointed and in fact my opinion of hostels has massively improved due to my stay at Godzillas.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barcelona
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I stayed there in May, well its not perfect place to stay but good location. While i stayed there the rooms on the third floor were robbed. They dont have a locked luggage room, so the bags can be leaved in the room under the stairs where everybody have access to so there is a risk as well. The shower on the first floor is small and very dirty also have to wait as there is always a q. But the main thing which is amazed me the most is that the Hostel charge you 700 roubles which is 20 euros for the registartion with the police, its a joke cause every hotel in Moscow will do it for free for you. My advise to you: if you dont have to stay in the centre stay in Izmailovo Hotel (Delta, Vega, Alfa) which is abit outside of the centre but has a metro right near hotel which will get you to the centre for 15 minutes. Its good standard hotel for 100euro per night and free registration with the police and proper room with the good bed and nice bathroom.

• Stayed May 2008
Vienna, VA
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I, along with my daughter, stayed here June 22-26 as tourists in Moscow. We were initially given a double bed in a private room which was barely big enough for the bed--we then were moved upstairs to 2 twins in a single room which was much roomier. The room is super basic: no table, no chairs, just 2 beds. The hostel seems to be in a permanent state of renovation--we were on the third floor which did not a have usable bathroom or shower, and non-working kitchen. The working kitchen and bathrooms on the other floors were clean, though.

For the price it is an okay place. Not great. It's probably worth paying more for a little more comfort. The staff was friendly and helpful and the free internet on the main floor was great. It is very conveniently located to the metro (Tsvetnoy Bul'var) and a doable walk to Red Square. It's in a very safe location (right around the corner from the famed "Petrovka 38", i.e. like Scotland Yard or the FBI) and lots of restaurants and shops nearby. It was quiet for the first couple of nights, then the 3rd night there was loud and prolonged yelling/shouting by the couple next to us and no one intervened. I guess though when you're paying around $72/night for the room in Moscow, the clientele isn't going to be creme de la creme. I wouldn't stay here again only because I'd be willing to pay more for a better place. But for backpackers and students it's just fine.

• Liked — Location and internet availability
  • Disliked — Permanent state of renovation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Upon first arriving, i was very disappointed. Renovations were ongoing and our private room required that we enter by walking through a dorm room. After the initial shock though, we were very happy. It was clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The bathrooms could have been cleaner and the hot water operated on an all or nothing basis, but it was fine. The metro was a close walk. Given the price of hotels in Moscow, we were happy with Godzillas.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — lack of hot water
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The hostel was undergoing renovations, so that could be the reason for some of the problems that I encountered.

1. The location was very good, and I walked to the Red Square area everyday. This was the best feature. The metro was also close.
2. The price was adequate for Moscow. However, looking back, I should have just coughed up the extra money to stay at a better place.
3. It was very crowded. The dorm rooms looked like a mess of people, bunk beds, luggage strewn around, etc. I was in a private room, off the dorm room. My room was very simple, but large. Bed, table and that’s about it. No sink. Quiet as it faced the back. I had a key for my room, so there were no security concerns.
4. The staff seemed to be overwhelmed. They were very friendly, but forgot about the airport pick-up that I had arranged, and were also very slow about getting train tickets. Ended up using a travel agency. The hostel was reluctant to do visa registrations. I was told to get it done at my next lodging.
5. The WC was clean. However, the shower room was old, the tub was rusted, and there were a lot of flies. The shower room was next to the kitchen, and the kitchen was not very clean, and had a large trash can, full of trash, that had not been dumped. There were so many flies in the kitchen and in the adjoining shower room!

For the price: ** (out of a possible 5)

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 13, 2008

We were warned that whilst in Russia we would be ripped off by all the various authorities... police, tourist attractions... apparently in Russia everyone is out to get you. However, the last place that we expected to rip us off was this 'modern' hostel in Moscow.

We arrived early one morning from an overnight train, hoping to spend two nights at the hostel. Within moments of our arrival a highly efficient staff member had accepted two nights payment in advance for our beds. We were asking her questions about trains out of Russia during the transaction and the conversation continued after we handed over the money. We very quickly realised that we would be unable to spend the full two nights there due to restrictions on our visas, however the hostel would not give us back our money for the second night because they do not offer refunds on accomodation. This, despite the fact that we had only handed the cash over 5 minutes earlier.

We were then informed that we would be unable to check into our rooms (despite them (and infact the whole hostel) being empty) until 2pm because those are the rules. We would have to entertain ourselves for the next 6hrs.

I know that all of this is probably within their rules, my point is just that the people running this hostel will not even pretend to be on your side. Their attitude was summed up to me later by another staff member who told me they're trying to "run a business" afterall.

The facilities are fine if you like the idea of being in a street fronted room with no curtains, and don't mind leaving covered in white dust as a result of their renovations. However this hostel is anything but traveller friendly, and if you must stay with them then be sure to treat them with the same level of suspicion and disrespect that they will undoubtably treat you with.

PS: besides the people at this hostel, we had no other problems in Russia. Police men did not demand bribes, I was not discriminated against based on my non-caucasian appearance and we were neither pickpocketed or gassed in our train cabins (as warned by Lonely Planet!).

• Disliked — The attitude of the staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I booked directly with the hostel and had booked a taxi pick up. I emailed with them several times. At the beginning they were prompt in replying and quite helpful.

When I arrived in Moscow at 9:30pm (this is January, so it's cold too) there was no taxi waiting, so I took the metro. Fine. then I arrived at the hotel and they had "lost" my reservation. Oddly enough they had all of our email correspondence printed out and on hand when I arrived.
I was told that "the system" didn't have my reservation. Yes, let's blame the system. Bad system. bad system.

It ended up being fine- I stayed 4 nights, although not in the single room that I'd booked months in advance.

The place is run down. The computer is broken. The television too. The kitchen on my floor had 1 cup and one glass and a sandwich maker that was busted. The bathroom has mold on the ceilings- I'd imagine that in the long run that could be a health hazard.

On the plus side, the cleaning staff did a great job keeping the kitchen and bathroom clean (if you ignored the mold and more permanent stains). the place was quiet on the whole- it's a residential neighbourhood. The staff spoke english, could be helpful at times and they weren't unfriendly.

When I left they did have the taxi I ordered waiting, but they didn't give me a receipt for my stay. One woman said that they'd given me small receipts when I paid initially, but they didn't. and when I asked for another receipt she said that she couldn't give me a receipt unless I gave her a receipt. and then I said I didn't have a receipt but could she give me one. We went on from there,- if you liked "Who's on First", you might have enjoyed eavesdropping. and then I gave up. that's russia for ya.

Anyhow, the location is pretty good- I like to walk and would say it's about 20 minutes to the Kremlin. There's a subway right there. a grocery store, wine store, coffee shop, etc. etc.
and for Moscow it's pretty cheap.

Stayed January 2008