“Visit with my grandson”

Central Armed Forces Museum of Russian Federation
Ranked #85 of 2,464 things to do in Moscow
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been here several times, this past time with my grandson, who is 9, and was visiting Russia for the first time. It was one of the places I really wanted to show him. He was too young to remember Gary Powers, but I thought it was important that he see the wreckage. Since his father was a soldier, and he was familiar with US military hardware, I think it was interesting for him to see the Soviet military hardware firsthand. And I think he has a better appreciation now that not only the US fought in WWII.

It is a great museum, and I really like to go there. I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the history of the world over the past 100 years or so, particularly the military history, and particularly to get a Russian perspective.

2  Thank MoscowCubfan

Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you are interested in War History or armaments then must go. Very good collection of various types of weapons and related materials. Its very near to Dostoevskaya Metro Station, on walkable distance. Unfortunately the language they have used is Russian and no english material is available. If you go with interpreter you will be able to appreciate it. Entry fee is only RUB 100 and for photography also RUB 100 extra.

3  Thank AmitVDeshpande
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I knew this coming in, but it's still important to note: there is no English.

I am not even sure if there were audioguides because I came with a Russian friend. However, he was not as keen as I thought on translating. And despite the lack of English, I felt a lack of chronological flow about historical facts and a greater emphasis on displaying "cool stuff." Since I came here to learn something about the Russian perspective of WWII and the Cold War, I failed in this respect since I didn't learn anything.

Since admission is cheap I may still recommend this place to you, especially if you like cool military stuff. Note that I had a SLR camera and so they made me pay 100 rubles extra for taking photographs. There was one very cool artifact which made this museum still worth going: the eagle monument taken from the Berlin Reichstag at the end of WWII (I think it was the original one!). It is poorly displayed however, lying flat so it is hard to see the whole thing properly.

3  Thank My2BareFeet
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Let’s get some things out of the way; nothing in English, no one speaks English. That’s a shame as there is so much history displayed in this museum and Russians, who are proud of it, should share it with the world. Regardless, as middle aged male who lived through the end of the Cold War, this was one of the top 5 highlights of my visit to Moscow.
Easy to get to, a 5 minute walk from a newer metro station (sorry, do not have my map; do not remember the station name).
I decided to splurge and hired a private guide, Oleg Alexandra of Three Whales travel agency (no presence on Trip Advisor yet, too bad. I read about him in a T.A. review and goggled him). It was expensive, but, without him I would have not gotten very much out of the exhibits inside the museum. I give him 3.5 stars of 5 possible stars.
The exhibits outside the museum were worth the price of admission alone. Fighter jets, tanks, missile ...super cool.

4  Thank Isra-Caltraveler
Reviewed August 2, 2012

For those who complain there is very little in english, then it is super simple to hire a guide to go there with you and they will explain it and tell you details about each area. It is an awesome experience and guide makes a huge difference.

3  Thank thetraveler420