“A must see while in Moscow”

Yeliseev's Food Hall (Yeliseevskiy Gastronom)
Ranked #7 of 387 Shopping in Moscow
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This has got to be on your list of things to see while in Moscow. It really is still like a palace inside. I did my homework so I knew where it was but even so, I walked passed it the first time as there is no indication outside the building as to what lies within. Once inside, I didn't know where to look first, everywhere I looked was amazing. I asked the staff if I could take photos and they gestured that it was ok. It really is breathtaking.

2  Thank Mike B
in 4 reviews
"palace"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I was walked inside by a local (Muscovite) while en route to somewhere nearby (Red Square area). It took a moment to sink in that this was a food emporium, as it seemed more like a trip into a Harry Potter wand store, or a 15th Century cathedral. Incredibly detailed and ornate ceiling, grand scale, and a huge floor filled with every possible gourmet food (from caviar to chocolate to herring to pickles). It's unlike anything in my normal set of references (like Zabar's in New York, or the old Balducci's in a domed old bank building - but much older and more venerable, outside and inside. I took only a quick look, as we were on the way somewhere and my host just wanted me to see this well-known, well-regarded place. Definitely worth a stop for food shopping or taking in Moscow architecture from the inside. I'm told the food is as tasty as the artwork & furnishings, and now I know this is a popular store with locals. A Moscow institution.

2  Thank drmikenyc
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Enter to see how the luxurious gastronoms used to look. It's a grocery store, but I would not recommend it for a large shopping spree as the prices are quite expensive. Rather enjoy the beautiful interior which is feast for the eyes and buy yourself some good vodka or caviar.

1  Thank Tinde_K
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A stunning building packed with gorgeous goodies to buy including a section for souvenirs which are a cut above the ones in the tourist shops.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 4, 2012

It is a grocery store, but not like most of grocery stores I know. It looks more like a rich palace room or a opera theatre entrance hall than a grocery store or minimarket. The first thing I asked the guard who was standing at the door was "may I take photos?" and he answered "da", pointing to the ceiling, and "nie", indicating the merchandise. I think he understood my question just because I showed him my camera. So, I took photos of what I could, but it isn't enough to show how fantastic is that place.
It is a small market, and many things they sell there are imported and expensive products, or just imported products, or expensive products. Maybe people who comes from european contries don't see many different things, but for me, south-american-brazilian-from-japanese-family, everthing was nice! There is some nice russian goods, like caviar (red and black) and black bread. The bakery section is very good, and there are products that are not so expensive that I bought to eat in the hostel.

5  Thank Nizinha