“Not a real 5 star hotel, but still one of the best ones in Moscow”

Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
Ranked #59 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed January 26, 2010

My 5th trip to Moscow was a leisure trip with my wife. The pick-up (ordered beforehand) from airport was good, although the driver didn't speak english, but he was polite enough. Our arrival to the reception was a disappointing, a small enty (not really even a hall), noisy heating, unclean floors and confusing service with 4 receptionists trying to do their best to help. After some hazzle we got the keys to our rooms (we were 4 all in all).

The hotel tries to brand itself as a design/boutique hotel and could be that with more professional service (but this is more of a Russian attitude issue than hotel related).

The rooms were spacious, with some nice decorations, although the halls looked more
something from jails than 5 star hotels :-)

Having stayed in many relatively high-class hotels in Moscow this is one of the better ones, the greatest plus being the location (walking distance from the red square) and the interesting rooms and the small spa in the cellar.

For a business purposes I would recommend the plaza hotel, which is located a bit further away, but is closer to be 5-star hotel than this.

Aki Paasovaara, Copenhagen

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed January 8, 2010

I spent 3 nights at this hotel in summer. Location is great. Safe. Many restaurants nearby. Prices are smart, I got a great deal through expedia. The room was smaller than I had expected, but ok overall. Good service. I do recommend.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank DrezdenBurger
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I liked the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel. It’s not really a luxury or a boutique hotel but the price is really reasonable and they do try their best to make you feel Welcome. The staff knows their city well and speaks excellent English. So a nice hotel all in all!

I visited Golden Apple in June of 2009 and stayed for 3 nights, I paid a hair under 500 US dollars (includes taxes) for the whole stay in Standard King room which is very reasonable for the Moscow price range.

Breakfast was lovely although it can get a bit crowded in the small breakfast room. The only thing I had issues with was the check-in, there was some kind of mix up with the luggage so I ended up with someone else’s bags but it all turned out for the best and I got my gear and the unfamiliar luggage found its owner too.

The location is excellent! You can easily walk to all the major sights. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 24, 2009

Perfectly located. It’s in the centre, and the street is not noisy. A little gift chocolate in my room was very sweet (in all ways!). Great when someone cares about you.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2009

We currently visit Moscow regularly since our son is working there, and have stayed in other central hotels. The Golden Apple is by far the best we have stayed in. It is centrally located (approx 20 minute walk to Red Square) and is situated in a good quiet district close to some of the best restaurants. For example, the famous Pushkin Cafe is just a short walk, as is Tverskaya (the main shopping boulevard with its boutiques and cafes).

On arrival we were greeted by highly professional and helpful desk staff, who spoke excellent English (we also heard them speaking fluent German to another guest). The rooms are modern, funkily designed (which we enjoyed - despite our age!) and adequate in size. They are spotlessly clean and beautifully maintained by the floor staff. The bathrooms are of high quality with good toiletries.

There is a charming entrance hall and a very good restaurant. Breakfast was included in our price (we had a great deal through booking.com), which is unusual in our experience of 4/5-star hotels in Moscow. And what a breakfast! We had tremendous choice with freshly cooked hot food and an extensive cold buffet.

In summary, we shall always return now to the Golden Apple Hotel for our future stays in Moscow - it is a far preferable small private hotel to the large chain hotels (Ritz, Marriott, Kempinski, etc.) which dominate the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The hotel is very nice. 20 min by walk from the Kremlin and 2 min to the tube station.
We paid 170 € por night booking in advance with an italian agency.
Transportation from/to the airport with 2,600 rubles.
All the staff is kind and helpful
Not satisfactory the use of spa. You have to book it in advance and when I asked to use it (2 days in my 3 days of staying) they told me it was already booked.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tommaso V
Reviewed November 17, 2009

great location, great rooms - nice bit of style in them rather than a boring marriott chain hotel, great breakfast, walking distance to lots of restaurants, bars and Red square is a nice 20 minute walk away.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business