“best value for a low price”

Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
Ranked #61 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in december - the rates were really low also when it was our christmas holiday. So I was already prepared to get a negative surprise - a five star hotel at this rates in the expensive Moscow? Impossible! Then I get really surprised, the staff was so friendly and helpfull to explain everything very well, also about the city attractions. The room was modern, really clean and also quiet. The best thing for me was the central place only 10 minutes from the Red Square. That is MY Hotel for the next stays in Moscow!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Lets start with the good: very nice competent lady (don’t know her name, dark short hair) at the reception desk. Efficient and in control.
The hotel: you’ll love it if you smoke. But I DON’T. Smoking is in bar just behind the restaurant so smoke permeates the restaurant too. Not heavily but it’s there..

More GOOD BITS: a good size safe for valuables, very comfortable bed, nice comforter. Good breakfast-although there’s a standard buffet they will serve you a hot breakfast at no charge. That’s all the good bits.

The rest: Small room. Very peculiar design to say the least: the lobby is dark, has a huge bronze apple shaped seat with atmosphere trying to emulate the feel of W hotel on a small scale;
The drapes in rooms looked like unzipped trousers- with zip, in the middle, a leather-look material, and under that bronze metallic type sheers. Strange.
Inadequate lighting in the room- just 4 directional lights beside bed and a poxy 6 inch high glass rectangle on the desk. Old fashion boxy tv..
Comps: Condoms, alcohol in mini bar, slippers, waffle cotton bathrobe. No tea, no coffee, no sugar, no kettle, no cups but I asked for hot water for tea and they kindly gave me an insulated thermos full of it.

No handcream in ultra heated dry room, and not even a shower cap.
Windows don’t open anywhere in the hotel so you breathe recirculated air. I stayed in room 416. View was of a brick wall. Lightpeeks through from the side where the wall ends.

Bathroom: all steel fixtures, lovely white-grey marble rectangular tiling. Bright yellow floor (why? go figure) Tiny. Reminds me of tv programs of toilets for prison inmates Yes, even the sink and the toilet are stainless steel. And sinks don’t have a stopper, not good if you wear contact lenses. There is a narrow little ledge over the sink, and no place else to rest any bathroom items. No bathtub either. Shower also looks prison-built: no hand shower, just a fixed shower with barely movable shower head. All the accessories are stainless steel too. Very harsh looking. No hook to hang anything in bathroom. No closets – just those open wardrobes with a couple of non skid clothes hangers narrow and 6 deep.

Downstairs in the basement is a hot tub and steam room for guests. Slight ventilation problem- a sewer-like unpleasant odor. Hot tub jets are very weak; water lukewarm. Sauna ok, no one uses it much. There are bathrobes downstairs but again,no place to store your clothes, not even a hook near the shower.

Restaurant has music playing CONSTANTLY. a mix of house-dance, Latin, and I dunno what. I won’t go into how I had to wait one hour for dinner at the restaurant. I've already told the nice lady at the front desk. Problems include chef who forgot the order, clueless waitresses who don’t know what’s on the menu and work one table in tandem but don't communicate with each other so you have to answer all questions twice–not a language problem but lack of training. As I waited, I was simply forgotten, not offered anything to snack on or even an explanation. So I left and told the staff to send dinner to the room. Admittedly the food (poached salmon with veg) was well prepared when it did arrive, nearly one hour and a half after my order. To make amends, the reception lady offered free wine which I did not accept

Room Tip: If you enjoy a hipster youth-targetted dark atmosphere, low but comfortable bed, this is your place...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank reneebe
GR_GoldenApple, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed regarding the service you received in our restaurant. Whilst I can guarantee that any negative experience on this occasion would have been a result of thoughtless rather than intent you have my assurances that the issues raised have been addressed to our Food and Beverage Manager General Manager to prevent reoccurrence in the future. We have also taken disciplinary actions to involved staff members. I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

The design of our Hotel may be not to everyone’s taste. But original design of the rooms is perfect for the category of contemporary travelers who appreciate functional comfort. We have huge number of guests who return to Golden Apple Boutique Hotel year after year over long time.

We would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services, because we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.
Thank you again for your review.

Best regards,

Elena Orlova
Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Couldn't have asked for a cleaner, more modern and well located hotel. The food was great - enjoyed both breakfast and room service, with a variety to choose from. Sauna and jacuzzi area quite nice and there is a small gym with treadmill, crosstrainer and bike.

BUT!!!
Reception staff were terrible - they were not really on the ball on various occasions, the worst example being when we ordered a taxi. I won't go into details but just bear in mind not to rely on anything the staff tells you (we were repeatedly lied to about whether said taxi was even coming).
Restaurant staff were absolutely wonderful but the timing of breakfast arriving was a little odd, their english isn't great and when we asked the price of a ham and cheese omelette they said "it depends". Not a good sign if you can't even price up an omelette!

Having said this, I would probably stay at the hotel again, and it was a pleasurable experience on the whole. You just have to bear in mind that, if you're in a rush to get anywhere, don't rely on staff to help you out/meet your needs immediately!

If you book here, be sure to check the deals direct on their website - it's often far cheaper and include free breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Victoria A
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I booked the hotel for a work trip for 4 days, and the staff was very helpful with providing all the documents, necessary for opening a visa, but when I was checking out I noticed that I was registered with Russian emmigration authorities only for 3 days. It is a good thing that they did not ask for the relevant documents when I was leaving the coutry, as Russian authorities can be strickt and black list you when there are some inconsistencies with the registration in the country. Also to note is the fact that there were no tea/coffee facilities in the rooms.
You might also get a better price by booking through internet booking sites, not the hotel own page

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Spent 6 nights here in January 2014 and was hugely impressed. It was FAR cheaper than every other good hotel in Moscow, and had free breakfast. The concierge was extremely helpful, rooms/decor are great, would highly recommend. Oh and they brought a free piece of cheesecake up to my room on my birthday. Only (very minor) drawbacks would be the internet, (free wi-fi is capped at a slow speed) and the shower, (water leaked out through the bathroom but we just put a towel in the way).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank travelinrob2014
GR_GoldenApple, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Your kind comments about our Hotel are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such a positive review. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

We will always welcome the opportunity to provide you with the best service.

Best regards,

Elena Orlova
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Feeling adventurous we decided to head to Moscow for a long weekend to do something different. A friend found and booked this hotel. The hotel did exactly what it said, it was clean, comfortable and definitely had that boutique feel. In fact you could have been in major city in the world which does offer some comfort as Moscow when you first arrive can be a little daunting. We loved the fact there was a Jacuzzi and sauna as when we visited it was freezing! The bar was a good spot to start our evenings out, but be prepared the higher end of the market everywhere in Moscow is very expensive. If we head back will defo return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Rooms are comfortable with a sui-generis style but everything works as expected. The location is not bad but could be better. Service is good, the food is correct and the facilities are clean. The reservation was very easy, including the letters they provide to obtain the visa.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo