“Disgraceful and disgusting”

Ranked #581 of 1,518 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
Dublin, Ireland
“Disgraceful and disgusting”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Where to start with this awful hostel? I have experienced a lot of different accommodation on my travels but this was the worst experience I have ever encountered.
Upon checking in, we were shown our beds. On my mattress lay used ear buds, an empty water bottle and worse still a used plaster. I had to ask for a pillow too as I had none. I also had to ask for toilet paper on two separate occasions. However this was tip of the iceberg for what was to follow.
An administrator working for the hostel, named Mark introduced himself and explained the strict rules of the hostel. On the second night he was sleeping in our room. Why people working in the hostel are sleeping in the dorms I don't understand. Anyway while I was lying on my top bunk trying to get to sleep I could hear him whispering to the girl underneath me on the lower bunk. He then proceeded to get into bed with her and they were having "fun" for most of the night. I could not sleep throughout this.
However his behaviour did not stop there. On my final night, having returned from a night out I found that a girl was sleeping in my bed, and Mark the administrator was sleeping in the bed beneath it with another girl. When I asked what was happening, he told me (despite knowing full well) that I was not booked in for the night. I told him I was and I had the booking to prove it. He then tried to move me to another room. I said no, my bed is in this room and all my stuff was in there too. He then finally asked the girl to leave and I finally could get into my bed. This whole episode was disgraceful and highly unprofessional.
I also should say that you can walk straight from the street into the hostel rooms with no keys. In fact we were given no keys the four nights we were there.
I must say that the other members of staff here were nice and friendly but the behaviour of Mark the administrator was disgraceful, unprofessional and downright disgusting.
Moscow is an amazing city with lots to do and see, but AVOID this hostel at all costs.

2 Thank Shane E

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is the worst hostel or hotel i have ever stayed in anywhere in the world.The majority of the staff are friendly, very helpful and have a good understanding of other languages but unfortunately for them they work in a badly managed hostel. There are no keys provided for guests and the entrance door is open for anybody to walk in at any time. For this reason the hostel does not feel safe or secure. The hostel does not have a system for accepting card transactions. I had to ask several times to be provided with clean towels and bed linen. There is also a shortage of toilet paper at this hostel. On one occasion, I was awoken during the night by the sounds and actions of the manager, Marc, making love to his girlfriend in the bunk beneath mine. Other guests in the room also had the same experience and struggled to sleep afterwards. On another occasion, a resident returned to the room during the night and found that the manager had moved another guest into his bed without notifying him (despite what is stated in the sign on the bedroom door). This blunder caused a big disturbance and another bad night's sleep for the guests. Moscow is a great city to visit but this hostel will ruin your holiday if you stay there. Things happen in this hostel that really shouldn't happen in a hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Moscow hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I just returned from a stay at this place with a group of 3 friends and I have to say that it is the worst accommodation I have ever used in my lifetime.
I have no idea when those pictures were taken but if I had to guess, I’d say it was just after a renovation or when the place originally opened. There is a mention of “24 hour security” but the doors are never locked. There is nothing to stop someone entering the building door, the hostel front door and then the bedrooms. We were given keys to lockers but anyone could come and go as they pleased. There is no TV or games room as is mentioned on some sites. The only sources of ventilation I saw were the windows.
When we arrived, we were shown to our rooms and had to make repeated requests for pillows and towels. There was almost never toilet paper in the bathrooms. One of my friends found swabs on his bed and mattress on the bed above mined looked heavily soiled.
In the interests of fairness, I should point out that the staff had a reasonable standard of English and one of the ladies was kind enough to help us purchase tickets to a local match.
This brings me to Mark, the hotel administrator.
On our arrival, Mark asked if we were Irish. We informed him that we were. He explained to us that the hostel had strict rules of cleanliness. Noone seems to have trained him in the basics of management sadly. On our second night he had sex with one of the guests and then brought another girl into the room and had sex with her while we were sleeping. Last night, 2 of our group remained out. Mark decided to use this opportunity to commandeer his bed in order to repeat this incident. When my friend returned
In closing, I’d highly recommend Moscow as a tourist destination. Due to the excellent underground system, there’s no need whatsoever to give a place like this your custom as the other hostels are almost guaranteed to be better.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you can.
2 Thank George M
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Guys, everything is old and dirty- pictures are fake. Nobody knows how to accept credit cards or how much you must pay)) all night long a group of drunk russians were singing, yelling and exchanging abuse (till 7 am when I said I call the police). Staff did not do anything. Pillow was bloody stained.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Оля Д
Kyiv, Kyyivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed in Chicago Hostel since it is next to Chistye Prudi, the only place I was able to find I could still continue my morning running in the center of Moscow.
Hostel itself is great and staff is very friendly.
The only drawback was absence of place to hang my coat. I had to store it in locker.

I recommend to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Chicago is a decent hostel with a friendly atmosphere and great location (5 min to Chistye Prudy). Main disadvantage of this hostel is it's incompleteness, but I have no doubt that things are going to be improved soon. Prices are okay, dorms are also in good fettle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business