“Great base for experiencing versatile Moscow”

Novotel Moscow City
Ranked #20 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed September 6, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jerome C, General Manager at Novotel Moscow City, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights due to AutoMechanika Moscow. Location was very good, 5-7 minutes walk to ExpoCenter, also to metro below the shopping mall. Food is not an issue as its connected to a mall.
Price wise, I got a very good deal since Im Accor Advantage plus member, only USD. 150/night for executive room.
The problems were, during check in, allocated to a room which smell like smoker's paradise and the bed is double instead of twin as booked.
Had to report, and wait for more minutes, allocated to a new room which also a double bed. Called again, and they send someone to split the bed.
On 1st day, the mini bar is not refreshed and the nespresso capsules also, had to wait minutes to get it refreshed.
Other than that, the hotel itself its an ok property. Many construction in the surrounding area, but it doesnt bother me

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Jerome C, General Manager at Novotel Moscow City, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Alexandre N,
Thank you very much for leaving your feedback about your stay at Novotel Moscow City.
First of all I would like to thank you for being a loyal Le Club member, and I am glad that you could take advantage of the program’s benefits.
I do regret though that you have experienced some issues during your check-in and had to change the room. I also regret that your minibar was not refreshed on time and you had to wait. These are technical issues that have been reported and our employees have received the proper training to avoid reoccurrence.
At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer. Therefore your feedback is very important to us and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I don't know how many stars this property is actually listed as, but the rate I paid was over 300USD/night equivalent to stay in an area surrounded by construction, in a room with the lingering smell of smoke despite booking a non-smoking room.

1) Tried to check in early as my flight arrived early, front desk told me my room was not ready. They allowed me to keep my luggage in storage.
2) Tried to check in at 4:30pm, the room was ready. Received key and headed up to the room with my bags.
3) Key unlocked a room - AND THERE WAS SOMEBODY ALREADY INSIDE....who had just come out of the shower, so obviously they must have gotten a shock of their life.
4) Went downstairs to change rooms, front desk staff told me there were two guests with the same names so this is why this error occurred. It turns out, their system allocates based on Surnames ONLY. So if you're last name is "Smith", you might be in just as screwed a situation as this. Got new key.
5) Went to new room, finished unpacking when a stranger unlocked my room with their key!!!?
It turned out they ALSO had the same last name.
6) Then I received a few calls from the other guests to ask a few questions, in order to sort out this admin issue regarding same surnames that really should have been sorted out at the front desk.
7) Looking around the room, I realised that it didn't match the description of the actual room I had booked. Where was the nespresso machine? So I called to the front desk and they asked me to bring my printed booking confirmation downstairs to them for them to check because it wasn't specified in their system. So I went downstairs and got the key for the actual room I booked which was the executive room.
8) Packed and hauled my luggage over to the first executive room, which turned out to have a problem. It wreaked of smoke masked by all types of air freshener scents. So I called the front desk again. Who then sent me to another executive room. This time, the lady from the front desk asked me to wait there for 10 minutes while she came up to the room with the new key. Which didn't work. Finally, she got the maid's master key and let me in first and asked me to pick up the key from the front desk later.
9) The new room smelled of smoke lingering in the curtains as well, but not as bad as the one prior, and the lady from the front desk informed me that it was their last room anyhow, so it would have to do.

After a long haul flight, the last thing you want to do is be so troubled before settling into a room. I didn't receive anything in return for such a troublesome experience, which just really highlighted all the worst examples of insufficient training. On top of this some other issues.

10) I was there just last week, and there was construction work going on outside all day, even AT NIGHT TIME, THROUGHOUT the night. Yes, when you want to sleep.
11) Arrived in room, and the coffee capsules hadn't been replaced. I called down to ask for a refill and front desk informed me they would send somebody up, and nobody ever came up.
12) On one afternoon, I arrived back at my room after a day out at approx. 16:30 and the maid was in the middle of cleaning my room. I left, came back at approx. 18:30 and the cleaning cart was gone from the front of my room, the door was closed, but when I walked in the cleaning maid was in the bedroom talking on the phone. I'm not 100% sure she wasn't just calling her manager to say she had finished cleaning, or of what she was doing, but as soon as I came in, she got up, and quickly walked out.

Apart from this, just another few minor issues but I'm sure these will be rectified soon.
Despite the terrible first impression, there are some good things about this hotel too.

1) Wifi is free, high speed and available throughout the hotel.
2) Metro is not too far away (in the mall which is closeby)
3) Front desk speak English and are friendly but they need proper training in how other international hotel chains handle the types of situations I've mentioned above.

This could be an excellent hotel if it fixes these issues. For security reasons alone, the hotel makes a bad impression as this has never, ever happened in any of the hotels I have stayed at. For the rate I paid, it didn't live up to my expectations.

Helpful tip: the minibar is complimentary (I didn't realise this until the final night of my stay).

2  Thank Jetsetta100
Jerome C, General Manager at Novotel Moscow City, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Jetsetta100,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Moscow City and for taking the time to give us your candid feedback after your recent stay with us. Also, I would like to thank you for mentioning several positive aspects about our hotel as well.

It is our goal to make every guest feel welcome and I regret that your experience did not meet your expectations. I am truly sorry to hear that your stay did not start well and you had so many issues with getting a room. Unfortunately, sometimes computer systems do not work correctly which can create difficulties and confusion. I can assure you that our IT team has fixed this issue and will continue monitoring systems to avoid such issues in the future. Concerning the coffee capsules, we are sorry that they were not replaced and we are investigating this issue. I am sorry that you were troubled by the noise from the construction outside, but unfortunately it is not under our control, and we usually try to provide our guests with rooms facing inside of the building to minimize the discomfort. But when all rooms are sold out we are trying to do everything possible to make our guests comfortable. I regret that you did not receive a professional service from our staff at the reception, but I can assure you that they are constantly receiving training relevant to their position based on the guests’ feedback.
Your comments are certainly helpful to prevent issues in the future.

We appreciate your time to provide us valuable feedback, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Fortunately we hired a taxi from the Aeroexpress terminal. The driver, although he was using a Satnav, had to ask for directions three times! We received a warm and helpful welcome from the hotel receptionists and were pleased with the cleanliness and comfort offered by our room.
As we were located on the side furthest from the adjacent building work, noise was not a problem. The wi-fi worked excellently and bed linen and towels appeared to be changed daily.

The downside was the boring breakfasts. The hot breakfast seemed to be powdered scrambled eggs and tinned new potatoes. Edible but so boring every day. How we longed for an omlette chef! The coffee was dire and there was a small inadequate domestic toaster.

After a few days, we decided to breakfast in the shopping centre behind the hotel. The centre does not open until 10 am.

We did have a small problem with the bill and at one stage we were asked if we owed the hotel money or was it vice versa. However, things were eventually amicably settled.

We would have no problem using the hotel again and,once there, it is close to the Metro station, which is only 5 stops from Red Square. Bear in mind it is in the developing business area and geared up to that market.

Tip: Don't take the Metro from the Aeroexpress terminal if you have heavy cases. You will have to change lines and there are steps to negotiate on some changes. Also you may find it difficult to cope in rush hours.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room away from the building works.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bob-bulginbarra
Jerome C, General Manager at Novotel Moscow City, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear bob-bulginbarra,
I would like to thank you for the feedback about your stay at Novotel Moscow City. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, but regret that you didn’t find our breakfast satisfying. I wanted to let you know that our kitchen is open during breakfast hours and is always able to prepare something for our guests if they don’t find it on our buffet. I am sorry if this information was not available for you. I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding you have encountered due to billing but I am glad to know that the issue was resolved cordially. At Novotel we continuously strive to improve the quality of service, which is why your feedback is so important to us. I do hope you will give us a chance to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

As the hotel is new, it has advantages and disadvantages.
Its location is very satisfactory. It is about 5 min on foot from the nearest metro station and about 15-20 minutes to reach the Moscow Kremlin (center of the Moscow) by metro, the stations of which are exquisite pieces of art and everyone should visit them.
A big disadvantage concerning the location of the hotel is that it is situated in the middle of a new economic bloc of skyscrapers, which is not yet finished. This means that there is working staff around 24h a day. The room we stayed for three nights was quiet, but the view was limited because of the buildings that surrounded it (PHOTO)
The room was very very good. It was well decorated, comfortable, very clean, with a practical fridge because of the free space left for our belongings. Every day two small bottles of water were left in the room free to drink. The bathroom was very functional and the doors separating it from the room practically designed.
We had our dinner in the hotel every day. The quality and quantity of the meals were quite satisfactory, as well as the aesthetics of the restaurant.
The lounge was big and comfortable. In a separate place of it there were computers with internet connection.
A point of special importance is that the staff of the hotel is very kind and friendly and the service was very good. All problems were solved with a smile.
Personally, if I visited Moscow again, I would stay at the same hotel.
It is ideal for a business travel, too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Jerome C, General Manager at Novotel Moscow City, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear aikcos,
I would like to thank you for giving your feedback about your stay at our hotel and for your kind words.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be glad to pass on your massage to all the employees, to let them know about their contribution.
We will be glad to welcome you again at Novotel.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I was there For three Days in a Fair. The location is perfect For The exposition center.
Nice hotel, very New, not si easy to fine The way The first time, But aldo perfect For The metro station.
We gas a little inconvenient with The air condition, but nothing wrong.
Very nice people and managers.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear egallo,
I would like to thank you for your comments about our hotel.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words toward my colleagues.
We hope to welcome you again soon.