“Strange place with Soviet mentality, but a good option”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Peking Hotel

Peking Hotel
Ranked #76 of 309 Hotels in Moscow
Bombay
“Strange place with Soviet mentality, but a good option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May. The room was clean and pretty posh, but the hotel has strange rules. No visitors allowed sans registration (!!). The security guards look really menacing and scare guests more than potential intruders.

The service is good and the location off the Triumphalnaya Square is unbeatable. The restaurants are also nice but pricey. The least they could do is have an electronic kettle in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ajay78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

In December my wife and I stayed in a one bedroom suite. It was excellent.

The living room and bedroom were large and exhibited the classic interior style of the Stalin era. The leather couch was huge ( 7 feet long). High ceiling and large windows that opened up to allow a view of Moscow. Large flatscreen TV for the modern convenience. The price in dollars was only $185.00 per night. The low price is probably based upon its location. You must take either a taxi or the subway outside the Hotel in order to see Red Square, Arbat Street or the Opera. However, the Moscow subway is very clean, safe and efficient. Therefore travel is no problem.

On the 13th floor is the Time Out Bar. Named after Time Out magazine. This bar has been converted from its classic 1930 design into what looks like a club. The large room appears circular with a bar in the center. Ceiling is 20 feet high with marble columns covered in white plaster and neon lights. A lifesize white plaster horse hangs above the bar. Everything is white, like a winter wonderland. Windows around the perimeter provide nice views.

The only disappointment was the restaurant on the first floor. It was a huge place on several levels with different areas separated by artificial vegetation and video screens. They served wings and all types of American food. However, It served no traditional Russian food. It would have been wonderful in America. And I suppose Russians like it. But I , as a tourist, wanted Russian food.

Overall, based upon the size of the room, style of décor, and price, this is an excellent choice in Moscow.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gaziantep, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hotel is very expensive but I guess its moscow standards. Security id good noone can get pass to security. Stay this hotel if you are on business trip its very clean rooms but stuff needs to smile more. If you are going moscow for tourism and to have fun I would choose diffrent hotel. Its at the city center but its little far to tourism places like Arbat and red square. I walked these places and took me 40 min to Arbat and 50 min to Red square. At overall its nice and beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed at the grand suit it was perfect I can say anything about regular rooms. Ask for city view...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Serkan A
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel is clean and located in center town and very close to the train station. Our room was spacious but that is. We visited this hotel on the 19th of August

It is not my best experience and not my worst. .Very normal stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gabriel N
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had to do a last minute booking to come on a business trip to Moscow, so I couldn't be too choosy, with Moscow being very busy. So after a lengthy search on Booking.com I ended up with the Peking Hotel, because all my usual hotels were fully booked.
At the end of the day, what it comes down too is value for money. If you pay 60€ for a night at a hotel, then you don't expect as much as when you pay 300€. And for the hotel it's all about supply and demand. So when I had to pay just under 300€ per night at this hotel, I was really disappointed. The hotel is old, hasn't been refurbished in a long while, rooms look stale and have hardly any facilities a normal businessman needs on his trip. The internet was free, but so slow it was hardly usable in the rooms. In the lobby it was a bit better. Beds were old, bathrooms were old, ... You get my drift. Again going to the value for money. If I had paid less then a 100€ for a night at this hotel, my idea about the hotel would be the same, but I wouldn't feel totally ransacked.
What the hotel does by applying this supply-demand rule, they created a customer that would never ever want to return to that hotel again, because not only the experience was bad, I also feel like being conned. I just hope for their economic model it makes sense to do this to their customers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Liteworker

Travelers are raving about these Moscow hotels

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

It was the worst experience I had ever had with the hotels and I traveled for 20+ years all over the world. I would have given them minus 1 star if there was a rating of this kind. I had arrived to the hotel before 10 in the morning and I notified the front desk numerous times about my time frame. Ok, they did not have any available rooms at this hour, I understand. I had to attend a business meeting and told the front desk that I would be back in about 3 hours. They assured me that they will take care of everything. Well, I came back to the hotel at 3:15 in the afternoon, absolutely exhausted after flying 12 hours and conducting the business. What did I hear from the staff? No clean room yet ... and I was forced to wait. By 4 o'clock I finally got my key (no help with the baggage). Room at last...... after this indifferent service downstairs I entered a "shoe box", because that exactly what it was. No apologies from the staff for making me wait for so long, no complimentary of any shape. Why did I not complain? I was too exausted. Next early morning I had another business to conduct... and by the time I was back, I had no strehgth to complain either and I left the following morning. I traveled all over the world and stayed in all kinds of hotels, Peking was the worst out of all of them. Staff is not trained for customer service at all. Too bad, I could have stayed there my next trip. And Peking used to be a very prestige hotel during USSR. What happened?????

Room Tip: Do not stay at Peking hotel ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rimma v
raanana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent hotel, located next to one of the most beautiful metro stations in Moscow. Spacious clean rooms and very friendly staff. moderate prices. great location. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all travelers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple