“Well, I got to see the grounds”
Review of New Tretyakov

New Tretyakov
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Tretyakov Art Gallery Half Day Tour in...
Ranked #44 of 2,529 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New building of the Tretyakov Gallery at 10 Krymsky Val houses a unique museum exhibition of modern Russian art features works by Chagall, Kandinsky, Malevich and other 20th-century artists. In the same building there is the Central House of Artists, and around there is a Sculpture Park.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nothing like being a tourist in Winter.
Had to see the grounds, as the sculptures were featured in the Title Sequence of the James Bond film, GoldenEye. I found Gorki, Stalin and Lenin. Of course Stalin had suffered with the loss of his nose.
It was amazing running around in the snow trying to photograph statues I recognised.

All reviews
"great paintings"
"on display"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was very excited for this gallery after visiting the "old" Tretyakov, and was pleased in general with what I found. It truly is a terrific collection, but I completely agree with the commenter below who wanted to see more Socialist Realism paintings. I think that style is hugely important to the understanding and appreciation of 20th century Russian art, and it felt like the gallery was apologizing for it. I really wanted to see more to provide a real contrast to the other works being produced somewhat surreptitiously at the same time.

I was surprised that the building was largely deserted when I visited. It's not an attractive building, but it's very interesting inside. It feels like it was designed for huge crowds of wealthy patrons (downstairs more resembles a hotel lobby than an art museum), but I didn't find any confirmation of that. In a sense, the building feels out of touch with the art.

Definitely worth the trip, and there's a really interesting underground artists' "colony" just outside in the underground passage that takes you across the street to Gorky Park.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

After visiting the Old Tretyakov Gallery, we decided that the artwork in the newer gallery might be more our thing. We actually walked between the 2. Is not a short walk but it was extremely pleasant along the river and you got some lovely views of Moscow. I would highly recommend entering the gallery via the bottom of the sculpture park and walking through. We absolutely loved this park, very unique and great fun.
Unfortunately you do have to pay another entrance fee to get inside the gallery. There are not even any discounts if you have been to the other gallery, which is a shame.
The gallery is spread over 3 floors and we were impressed with the size and the content of the exhibition. Most of the artists we'd never heard of but there were some beautiful pieces on display. The works here are a lot more modern and contemporary and possibly not what some people would describe as art, however we really enjoyed it.
Definitely worth a visit if you like more modern/comtemporary art.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place is wonderful. If you like Avant-Garde painting you will just love it. Almost no tourist !