“Good but could be better”

Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow
Ranked #3 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed April 16, 2013

A lot has been said in the other reviews. As background, I rate purely on experience and ignore price as the viewer will form his/her own view on price and doesn't need to read my own views on this.
The hotel is possibly the best in Moscow with one big qualification.
Location is very good if one is a tourist and wants to see the sights. Rooms are excellent post refurbishment..bigger and better than Ritz and much bigger and better than the Lotte. I personally do like the Park Hyatt modern, slightly minimalist room style and the room size and decor is significantly better than the others. The suites are really nice. Very well designed and made up. Best I have stayed at in Moscow.
Staff are pretty helpful by Moscow standards as well. Also has the best hotel breakfast in Moscow that I have had.
So why not a more positive review?
I think this hotel lacks soul in complete contrast to some of the other PHs I have stayed at. Moscow PH needs a better bar and a much better evening restaurant that will give the whole place more atmosphere.
In summary, this is a very good place to stay in Moscow if on a business trip. But on a personal trip (which I highly recommend as Moscow is a great city to see), it is a closer run thing as to which is the best hotel in Moscow.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Damian C
Stephen_Ansell, General Manager at Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a review. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and the new rooms and suites post refurbishment. If convenient on your next visit I would gladly share our plans with you for the new look lobby and lounge. Furthermore our roof top terrace has now opened up for the summer months providing a unique dining venue overlooking the capital, Rest assured we will do our very best to make your next stay with us as pleasant as possible and we look forward to welcoming you back to the exciting city of Moscow.

There are newer reviews for Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow

Reviewed April 13, 2013

They allowed me to check in early which was big plus after a long day of flying. The front desk clerks could not have been friendlier or more professional. Nice size room with a big bathroom. Very comfortable. Spotlessly clean. Welcome chocolates were absolutely some of the best chocolate I have ever tasted. Too much traffic noise outside even on the 8th floor, but I am a light sleeper. Cool bar on the top floor with views of the city. The location was great. It's within a few minutes' walk of 2 metro stops and about 10 minutes walk to the Kremlin/Red Square area. The Bolshoi is basically right outside the door.

I was very impressed with their service. I was taking the night train (Grand Express = wonderful) to St. Petersburg which didn't leave until 11:40 at night. The hotel allowed me to check out at 4pm. Then they kept my bags while I enjoyed a few hours at the Sanduny Banya (8-10 minutes walk). I returned for my bags at 8pm and they told me I could use the spa and bathroom to freshen up, change, etc. Then they arranged for a city taxi to take me to the train station.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay, but the weakest link at this hotel is the concierge service. First, the concierge will always try to sell you on taking the hotel cars at 6-8 times the price of a city taxi, which is understandable to an extent. I emailed the concierge before I arrived and asked about the best way to get to the hotel from the SVO. He recommended that a hotel car pick me up from the airport (for about $200). I understand why he would start with that and certainly it would have been the easiest option. However, I sent a follow up email informing him that I was taking the Aeroexpress train to Belorussky train station and only needed transportation to the hotel from the train station. I asked for a cheaper option. He didn't respond to this email. I again emailed and asked if there was a cheaper option than the hotel car. He failed to tell me that I could have easily hopped on the metro next door to Belorussky and taken it a few stops to land within an easy walk to the hotel (I only had carry on bags). Nor did he outline an option for taking a city taxi from the train station, which would have cost 1/4 of the price of the hotel car. Again silence instead of a response to my email. Finally, I emailed again saying I'd take the hotel car (since I'd gotten no info on other options). He responded to this email right away informing me that it would be ~$80 and the driver would meet me at the train. It was pleasant and easy to have the driver waiting, but I would have liked to hear and consider the other options. (A local I met on the Aeroexpress told me that a city taxi would have cost no more than $20.) Other reviewers indicated that the hotel concierges had no problems calling a city taxi, but that was not my experience. On a 2nd occasion I was told that it would cost about $60 for the hotel car to take me to the Kremlin one evening (VERY easy walk, but I had a blister on my foot). I asked for a city taxi and the lady was discouraging about calling them. I pressed the issue so a city taxi was called. It cost about $10 and took 10 minutes in traffic to get there.

I also found that the concierges didn't have accurate details for touring some sites. For instance, I wanted to go to the Diamond Fund inside the Kremlin Armoury. The concierges seemed clueless about the difficulties of getting tickets. They just told me to go to the Kremlin ticket booth and buy them there. I knew that wasn't accurate from the reviews I'd read but I gave it a try. As I suspected the Diamond Fund tickets are NOT sold at the regular Kremlin ticket booths (For the record, you have to buy the tickets for the Kremlin and ARMOURY (timed entry) at the regular ticket booths. Once you've gained entry into the Armoury at your designated time, you buy the Diamond Fund tickets upstairs in there. There are a limited number of tickets for the Armoury & Diamond Fund, so you have to be crafty to get them. It would be helpful if the concierges were knowledgeable about such caveats and tips. And for the love of God, could they be friendly and SMILE like the front desk clerks, doormen & bellmen?) After a frustrating day of trying to figure out how to get the tickets (no one speaks English), I asked the concierge to book a guide for me for half a day so that she could help me figure out where to go and how to buy the tickets. The guide scenario worked perfectly but cost ~$150. Nevertheless, it was worth it to have a translator and to get some background on the sites. I do commend the concierge on securing a good guide very quickly.

One final tip: the maps they give you at the hotel (and everywhere) have Anglicized street/metro names on them (with teeny Cyrillic written underneath). The Anglicized names are basically worthless and confusing since all street signs and metro signs are written in Cyrillic Russian. Do yourself a favor and print a metro map at home in Cyrillic. You don't have to be able to read it. Just match the characters of your destination to the characters on the map.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the streets if you are a light sleeper. There is a lot of traffic noise all n...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank erinray8029

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor, your time is much appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us however your comments on the Concierge response have been duly noted and raised with the team. The metro is indeed easily accessible from the hotel and is, depending on weather, often an option for the more experienced traveler.
I do hope that on your next visit our Concierge service will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I just got back from a 2 night stay at Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow. Great location, right in the middle of town. Really nice rooms with great beds and linen, nice big bathrooms - all sparkling clean. But best of all is the service and the people, headed up by GM Stephen Ansell who seems to be right there in the lobby whenever you come down from your room or back from outside. All the staff were incredibly helpful and genuinely caring and couldnt have done more to make for a lovely stay. A real oasis.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lucindabuxton

Thank you very much for sharing the nice comments following your stay with us last month. I am really pleased to you enjoyed the location of the hotel as well as the rooms and most importantly the service provided by the team here. All of us at the Ararat Park Hyatt look forward to welcoming you back very soon to our oasis!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Russia may not be famous for its service, however the personnel at Ararat is tremendously efficient and fast. I spent a great week at Ararat and look forward coming back in a couple of months.
Also, I had one of the best pedicures I've ever had at the spa and on the top of it I was given an ipad while waiting. That would be worth an extra star.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and your compliments regarding the service are much appreciated by all the Ararat Park Hyatt team. Rest assured we will continue to do our very best to make your next stay with us as comfortable and look forward to welcoming you back in a couple of months. Please do let me know if I can assist with the arrangements.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We decided long in advance to go on a weekend break to Moscou. We had a great time in spite of non stop snow. Thanks to Tripadvisor reviews we choose "The Ararat" and didn't regret this choice.
The Hotel is perfectly situated in order to visit The Red Square and The Kremlin.A tunnel near the Hotel leads you almost to the entrance of the redsquare which was a great welcome considering the terrible weather.
We reserved through Logitravel and got a good deal on a deluxe room with breakfast INCLUDED.
The breakfast included both continental and HOT food. Normal price of continental is 1550 rubles (39 euros), a fried egg 390 rubles( amost 10 euros). The room price with logitravel was 200 euros less per night than on official and other Hotel site s.
The staff can't do enough for you.You certainly fell like a V.I.P.
Prices in Moscou are outrageous ( as in Hotel) for Food and drink. Outside restaurants are almost 3 times more expensive than in europe. A bottle of wine starts at 67 euros. An average meal in restaurants for starter and maincourse without extras= 50 euros.
We got ripped off by taxi s, overpriced.( We payed 25 euros for a 3 mins trip). I would advise any first time visitor to hire a taxi in advance from airport as the aeroexpress is good but once you get to Belarus station you re lost as the metro system is VERY complicated and only in Russian,people tryed to help us out with directions but it's true to say very very few russians speak english ,not to mention French.

My husband who s french reserved "Taxifrancais " from the airport and we were very satisfied with their service. 50 euros to the Hotel which was very good value considering snow and traffic.Very professional and helpful.
Despite Moscow being expensive, we were charmed by it s beauty, and Thank also the Ararat Hotel for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room, kingsize bed. Very spacious room, huge bathroom. Unfortunetly toilet not separ...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mary s
Stephen_Ansell, General Manager at Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel next to Red Square. Your comments on the service are indeed much appreciated by all of us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The rooms are gorgeous, on the smaller side, but very modern, with every convenience you can dream off... It comes for a pretty penny, but so does everything else in Moscow. Great breakfast with outstanding service. Location is perfect. The only negative, which caused me to downgrade the hotel overall, is that they offered us the hotel car to take us to our restaurant, which was less than a 5 min ride; at the last minute, I inquired about the charge and it was $120 one way (they charge by the hour min...), we took a taxi instead and it was $20 for the ride... It left a bad taste in my mouth, too bad because it could have been a perfect experience, and instead of making us wait for a taxi for 15 minutes, they could have had their car take us at a reasonable rate (instead the car just stayed there unused...). Otherwise, just another great Park Hyatt like they all are !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank b2usa
Stephen_Ansell, General Manager at Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a review. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and your kind words are much appreciated by all the Ararat Park Hyatt team. Your comments on the cost of limousine service are noted and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you, however, that prices from our transportation partner are carefully considered due to the high costs of operating in Moscow and are similar to other luxury hotels. Rest assured we will continue to do our very best to make your next stay with us as comfortable as possible and we look forward to welcoming you back to the exciting city of Moscow.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great location in Moscow and you'll need that bc traffic is impossible and the metro is difficult to navigate if you don't speak Russian.

The top floor has a nice Hyatt style lounge with terrace access in warmer months.

There's always a doorman and easy to get a taxi but the hotel is on a little side street that it always jammed so you can ring up a $40 ride before you even get a block away from hotel.

Renovation of rooms means you may get an "older" room like we did. It was still a very nice room, maybe only 10yrs old but it was bare and didn't have a coffee machine. We requested one, Nespresso, and it was provided quickly.

The bed was hard and the pillows were super soft feather so they offered no support at all. They were like soft bags of raw rice.

Breakfast, room service, drinks at the lounge...it's all astronomically expensive but normal by Moscow standards. Breakfast is good but no eggs: smoked fish, breads, cheeses, and fruit/yogurts.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and your kind words are indeed much appreciated by all the Ararat Park Hyatt team. I am pleased to inform you that 90% of our Park King inventory is now refurbished. Furthermore 12 elegant Park Suites are also available. For breakfast our wide selection of hot dishes are prepared to order to ensure the highest possible quality. We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and please do let me know if you require any assistance at all with future travel arrangements to the exciting city of Moscow.