“A lovely hotel but BEWARE of the prices of extras”

Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow
Ranked #3 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The restauarnt at the top of the hotel has magnificent views but these do not warrant the prices cahrged for very simple meals, probably double London prices.

The beaty salon charged about $600 for a cut, blowdry, manicure and pedicure. One feels as if pickpocketed or worse. When we complained, we were told that thgeaes price are no more than in London. Where, I would like to know? I think that the very best, exclusive hairdresser would be no more than a third of this and, in a hotel, not more than a quarter or less.

When we complained to the hotel reception, we were told that the salon just pays rent to the hotel and it has no control over the prices. I find this answer unaccepable. So, BE WARNED, do not venture into the Beauty Salon unless you are happy to pay a fortune for an average salon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cliveewarshaw
Stephen_Ansell, General Manager at Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback from your stay and for choosing us. Despite your overall satisfaction with our hotel I was very sorry to hear of your experience in the Beauty Salon and your comments have been passed on. In terms of the restaurant Moscow is indeed an expensive city, however we do our best to ensure that our prices are competitive. I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future and rest assured we will do our utmost to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,
Stephen Ansell

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Ararat is a truly world class hotel. Excellent rooms, very helpful staff, perfect location. But, on my first night in the hotel, I was awakened at 1:30am by extremely loud music coming from a nightclub outside. And this on a Sunday night. The music didn't stop (and I didn't sleep) until 5:00am. I tried earplugs, pillows over the head, white noise from my iPad. Nothing worked.

I was surprised that music could penetrate so loudly through closed window (with the shades closed) on a seventh floor room.

To their credit, the hotel moved me to another room the next day, and that solved the problem. My strong advice is to ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the nightclub -- the reception staff will know what you're referring to.

Also, I know Moscow is expensive. But $45 for a small jar of ordinary nuts from the mini bar is just gouging customers. When you wake up needing a small snack, and there is nothing else in the room to eat, discovering they cost $45 seems to be adding insult to injury.

Room Tip: Avoid the side of the hotel near the nightclub. The reception staff will know what you mean.
3  Thank sc43
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a place for the Elite. The service is amazing, it is very clean. Located in the heart (center) of Moscow, even though it's located next to a highway, its not noisy at all. You can walk to the red square, Bloshoi theatre is literally 3 steps away. It is super clean, you can get help 24/7. Just amazing. Prices bite, but its well worth it.

1  Thank Lidia M
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel has very unique and peaceful atmosphere. It has some chic and elegance.
The best thing to me was the bed with unbelievable comfortable pillows and sheets!

The restaurant is somewhat expensive, but with great food.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank lunaticana
Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you happen to be a business man with an ego to nurture, you will like this place. The staff are all very nice but the central lobby tries too hard and looks like something from Blade Runner before the rot set in. It's in the grandiose international style and could really be in any city due to it's lack of any distinctive Russian style.

I was in a very comfortable deluxe room and the bed could not be faulted. As is the way with a lot of big modern hotels, you do tend to feel a bit hermetically sealed in as the window was impossible to open. The chair at the desk weighed a ton and was incredibly hard to pull up to the table. This was only a problem as I had to work a lot in my room so it required a struggle each time I had to get up or sit down.

I ate in the restaurant several times and the view from the top space is really nice as the sun goes down and the food was delicious. Wine list good too.

Strange to see all the glamourous hookers sitting in the lobby of such a 'prestigious' hotel at 2am but great for the business men I guess.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank George P
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I use the Ararat on business about every two months. Let me clear, and that's over Paris, London, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Africa, etc...: this is the best service I get, anywhere. Friendly and highly efficient staff (although the ladies up at the Conservatory restaurant on the 10th floor could be less stiff). You need transport, a print-out, a ticket to the Bolshoi, a tip: the greatest, most professional concierges will help. The room design is conservative but comfy and the hotel is gradually upgrading them. Incredible terrace over the Kremlin on the 10th floor. Very, very good food, including room service and breakfast.
The hotel's not too big and you cannot make it more central. This is the only hotel where I gradually learn the team's first names, not my usual focus.
Bravo.

2  Thank cmildc
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here as a family at the end of August....the best hotel we've ever stayed at (including all Ritz Carltons, etc... in the U.S.). Staff is amazing, rooms are super clean, everyone speaks English. We had a great private tour guide - Elena - ask for her- very nice and professional. I've stayed at almost all the Park Hyatts in the States and this is the BEST ONE - very pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family