“half of the zoo was closed”
Review of Moscow Zoo

Ranked #172 of 2,549 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Recently renovated, this relatively small, 100-year-old city zoo, exhibits animals from around the world.
Reviewed February 7, 2014

we payed the entry fee and have not been informed that the half of the zoo area was closed for construction. Anywhy we visited the open part of the park, which was mostly the bird and reptil houses and as well the horses. It was nice to pass some hours in the park in the center of Moscow, away from the city trouble. I will be curious to see it again then re rebuilding of the closed park will be finished.

1  Thank Patrick G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)
All reviews
in 7 reviews
"territory"
"collection"

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We visited just before Xmas (when it was -10!) but we still had a good time. It's very easy to get to the zoo via the metro. We were surprised at just how big the zoo is. Like many other zoos a lot of the animals have been put away fro the winter but we still spent about 2.5 hours wondering around and looking. After reading some other posts here I was unsure about going but I'm we did - we had a good time. The animals we saw were in good condition and their enclosures clean but like a lot of other places - they can always do with a re-paint etc but I don't think this was a major concern. All the enclosures looked large enough and well equip for animal play and interaction.

3  Thank Marika V
Reviewed August 27, 2013

There is a great dolphinarium inside the zoo (tickes sold separately, but you must enter the zoo to see the dolphins).

1  Thank dk78
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Moscow zoo was worst attraction that I’ve visited in Russia. First of all I want admit that there is just a poor conditions for animals and everything, including cages, are dirty and need in clean. All animals are tired and sleepy and certainly need in care…And atmosphere all around here reminds you that you in the city and not in some wild place. Besides of that terrible smell and mosquitoes just killing! So don’t waste your time in Moscow on visiting zoo!

5  Thank Sammy-me
See more reviews
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went with our boys age nine and seven. We hoped that this would be a nice excursion for them that wasn't another palace or art museum. The reviews here were difficult to determine if this would be a hit or a miss. It is very close to the metro so easy to get to. They charged entry for the adults but our kids were free.

This is not my typical review but I have to tell it like it is...

While, It was absolutely packed with people on this Tuesday afternoon. We thought this was a really dirty, sad zoo.

As we looked out at the pond in the center of the zoo, my boys noticed a rat in the grass...not a part of the exhibits... The environments that they keep the animals in appeared dirty and were covered in weeds.

In the USA, there would be outrage at this establishment for both the conditions of the care of the animals and that they charge entry to a zoo that claims to have thousands of animals (seriously?) but where almost two thirds of the zoo had empty exhibits. Maybe they count the rats? The one bear we saw was losing his fur and repeatedly rubbing his paw, in a manner that looked like he was maltreated. The penguin area was absolutely filthy, and apparently, someone even got sick and vomited nearby.

Don't go.

I will try to submit photos.

The other e views said that they are working on improvements. I hope the empty exhibits mean that there are reducing the number of animals to improve the conditions for the ones that they keep.

8  Thank J B