“One of the worst zoos I’ve ever seen!”
Review of Moscow Zoo

Ranked #67 of 2,410 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Recently renovated, this relatively small, 100-year-old city zoo, exhibits animals from around the world.
Valencia, Spain
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of the worst zoos I’ve ever seen!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Moscow zoo was worst attraction that I’ve visited in Russia. First of all I want admit that there is just a poor conditions for animals and everything, including cages, are dirty and need in clean. All animals are tired and sleepy and certainly need in care…And atmosphere all around here reminds you that you in the city and not in some wild place. Besides of that terrible smell and mosquitoes just killing! So don’t waste your time in Moscow on visiting zoo!

Visited July 2013

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Terrible, sad.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went with our boys age nine and seven. We hoped that this would be a nice excursion for them that wasn't another palace or art museum. The reviews here were difficult to determine if this would be a hit or a miss. It is very close to the metro so easy to get to. They charged entry for the adults but our kids were free.

This is not my typical review but I have to tell it like it is...

While, It was absolutely packed with people on this Tuesday afternoon. We thought this was a really dirty, sad zoo.

As we looked out at the pond in the center of the zoo, my boys noticed a rat in the grass...not a part of the exhibits... The environments that they keep the animals in appeared dirty and were covered in weeds.

In the USA, there would be outrage at this establishment for both the conditions of the care of the animals and that they charge entry to a zoo that claims to have thousands of animals (seriously?) but where almost two thirds of the zoo had empty exhibits. Maybe they count the rats? The one bear we saw was losing his fur and repeatedly rubbing his paw, in a manner that looked like he was maltreated. The penguin area was absolutely filthy, and apparently, someone even got sick and vomited nearby.

Don't go.

I will try to submit photos.

The other e views said that they are working on improvements. I hope the empty exhibits mean that there are reducing the number of animals to improve the conditions for the ones that they keep.

Visited August 2013
8 Thank J B
Moscow
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Great place for children and students”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

3 tips to visit this Zoo garden.
First, do not go here on a weekend. Crazy amount of people with more crazy children, you will not see animals or feel comfortable here. Better go on weekday, it is easy in summer time cause Zoo is working till eve,
Second, if you are student - you can go in free, how much you want.
Third, take with you photo camera and some food. You probably will spend here more than 2 hours.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Nemriel
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Poor animals”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Worst zoo I have ever seen. There was rusting money in the reptile enclosures that have obviously never been cleaned. The animals look distressed. Would not recommend if you have any compassion for animals. We left early out of disgust.

Visited July 2013
7 Thank safree
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Moscow zoo is a great zoo, there were some animals there that I had never seen before in a zoo, such as zebras, antelopes, polar bears and sloths. I liked the polar bears the best, they are very large and beautiful animals. The conditions are the same as all other zoos in the world, it's fine for the animals as far as zoo standards go. The price is pretty good too. The nearest metro is Barrikadnaya. I would try to visit on a weekday or none holiday day as it does get crowded with children and parents, especially if the weather is nice.

Visited May 2013