“Heart of Russia”

Red Square (Krasnaya ploshchad)
Book In Advance
Ranked #1 of 2,464 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Red Square, once the site of executions and military parades, sits smack in the middle of Moscow, bounded on one side by the Kremlin walls and Lenin's tomb and on the other by GUM, the country's largest department store.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a must-do, and it won't cost anything--so go! I liked the nighttime view the best, especially since the GUM dept. store is all lit up.

2  Thank Feistygal

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Standing in the centre of Red Square and just taking in the sites around us was very special. I took a panoramic picture of the place on my iPhone, using the DMD app, which means I have a photographic memory of the place. We were there in the evening also and the lights from the State Department Store GUM made a spectacular site. Many great photo opportunities.

1  Thank Gaylene H
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was in Moscow, with a colleague, for a connection flight on the way back to home.
We had only few hours and decided to get in the Площадь революции (Ploshchad Revolyutsii).
From the Sheremetyevo Airport we use the Aeroexpress Train (290 Rubles two way ticket) and at the Belorusskaya station we use the green line to go to the Teatralnaya Station, just few minutes walk behind the Red Square.
In less than 50 minutes we where there! No words to express how beautiful it is.
A MUST!

1  Thank Silmap
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Red Square is a must see.
You cannot get a true impression of what Moscow was some 20 years ago and what it is now without visiting it.

It carries the memories of so many historical events.
It is also quite picturesque.
So don't think twice and just be there!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

It was fascinating to see this unique location, so globally famous and a back drop on all Russian news reports.
The onion-domed cathedral and the red-brick Kremlin wall were very striking. It was also interesting to see GUM Dept Store right there on the square.
The history located here is amazing. There is so much to take in and photograph. I was not able to go to the burial site of my great-uncle, Yakov Sverdlov, who was the first person to be enterred at the Kremlin wall. There was construction and I could only see it from a distance.
On a beautiful, sunny day, Red Square is a great place to spend time and take it all in.