“Historical museum”

Half-Day Private Tour of Moscow Highlights
Ranked #66 of 2,528 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A 5000 year-old boat and other fascinating archaeological exhibits trace the history of Russian civilization from ancient times to the 20th century inside this spectacular dark red-brick building at Red Square.
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Very good developed, impressive quality, well kept, shows a complete history of Russia specially at the second floor

All reviews
"understand russian"
"wonderful architecture"
"resurrection gate"

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Not the greatest visit, our entrance mainly driven due to the -25 degree cold and a chance to get out of the snow! Whilst it is a beautiful building from the outside, this is one of the locations that doesn't have any English translation, meaning many of the exhibits remained a mystery to us! If we could have related the rooms to Russian history then it would have been more enjoyable. There are better ways to spend your roubles in Moscow, and we would suggest a visit to either the Kremlin or St Basils which are both with 5 minutes walk.

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Great place to go to, especially on a rainy or snowy day. The layout is very simple and you learn about the history of the region as you move from room to room, very easy to follow. The museum felt pretty empty the entire length of my visit (about 2 hours), which I liked. I payed a little extra to be able to use my camera inside and several museum workers came up to me asking if I had the permission to take pictures. I was slightly annoyed with that.
At the very end I visited "The Gold of Tsars" (?) exhibition that was going on at the time. Which also cost extra to see, but was totally worth it. The most impressive orthodox icons, covered in special super-detailed golden frames, were beautiful beyond description.

1  Thank YTravels
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The State Historical Museum at the entrance to Red Square is a very familiar sight to visitors to Moscow. It's not included on most tours and is not really the kind of attraction that would appeal to most first time visitors for whom the Armory in the Kremlin and the Tretyakov Gallery are better choices. With that caveat, it's a very easy, uncrowded museum to visit. You have to pay an extra fee of 130 rubles to take pictures in the museum but no one pays much attention to you and you can take your time. The exhibits proceed in chronological order and you can skip through the rooms that don't interest you. There is something for everybody here and it's of particular interest if you are familiar for Russian history. I had hoped to see Vereschagin's Napoleon Expecting the Deputation of Boyars but this particular painting was not on display when I visited. However, the 1812 room was particularly interesting with its artifacts of the battle. I spent a couple of hours in the museum and I think that was about the right amount of time.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This museum could have taken many, many hours to go through thoroughly. After a reco from a friend I started at the top and worked my way down (although it meant that you enter some of the rooms from the wrong side).
Fascinating portraits on the top floor of Stalin, Lenin, Brezhnev, Krushchev and other famous political figures.
Fascinating history of important periods such as Nicholas I (and his murder) and the Napoleonic war - so interesting to see the uniforms worn by the regular soldiers, the guns they carried, money from the time and other everyday trinkets.
In the end I skipped most of the pre-historic section as it was quite similar to other museums and by this point I was 'museumed-out'.