“Just great”

Ranked #3 of 2,398 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The State Tretyakov Gallery is the national treasury of Russian fine art and contains more than 180,000 works of painting, sculpture and graphics created by generations of Russian artists.
Moscow, Russia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just great”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Tretyakov gallery is a good place to enjoy and see the russian classic and modern art, entrance has descount for students and natural person pay all the ticket that is only ten dollars

Visited April 2012

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited the gallery with our Guide Olga from Bridge to Moscow and we really enjoyed it. Olga was able to tell us the history of a lot of the paintings and also their place in Russian history. She was able to tell us in a way that was really interesting. The gallery itself was well set out and not crowded. The paintings were wonderful and we really had a great time there.

Visited September 2012
Oslo, Norway
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Russias history unfolding before you”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I would sum up this art gallery as key to understand Russian history. It houses all the Russian brilliant masters of painting, up until mid 20th century; ranging from icons by the famous icon(ic) painter Andrey Ljublov, thru to great paintings by artists such as Valentin Serov, Michail Vrubel, Andrey Ryabusjkin, Ivan Ayvazovskiy, Vasilij Perov, Vasilyj Vereshchagin, Ilja Repin, Vasilij Surikov etc. To see more modern pieces of art you would need to go to the new building not too far away. When we went there, we decided beforehand to pick out a limited time period, in order to have a focus. We decided on the period from mid 1850s to beginning of 20th century. And it is truly a glorious time in painting! Taking you from the battlefields with wounded soldiers, shipwrecks and stormy waters, mad tsars and barbarian rituals, fairytale vikings, to peaceful gardens, lonely housewifes, unequal marriages, poverty, sickness, absurd wealth, brilliant landscapes, playful bears, starving children, dead corpses and so on and so on. We were all moved by the intensity of the pictures, and the overwhelming tragedy but also beauty in the history of the country. There is also noticeable a large degree of questioning of the values of the society in which the painters lived, unfolding criticism which for some reason was not sensored by the authorities.The museum offers audiotaped information that is really helpful in giving more background to many pictures and costs only about 350 rubles, highly recommended. The women running the whole place keep everything in order, and the lady in the souvenir shop was uncharming.

2 Thank Tonelovestravelling
Frederick, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Worth it for art lovers.”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I live near the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC so it takes a lot to impress me. This was impressive for a former private collection Some very good art and will worth it if you love art and sculpture.

1 Thank Chris C
Calgary, Canada
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“No offense”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Warning: this is only my opinion based on my experience of having travelled around much of western Europe recently and the face I am staying in Moscow for one month as opposed to being in and out in less than a week like I normally have done in the past!

Cost is around 350 rubles (around 9 euro) but I paid 230 rubles (around 6 euro) for student. Extra cost is charge for taking photos, but it was easy to take photos anyway and noone stopped me.

There are no captions at all, not even in Russian, so if you want background info, get an audioguide. Having been to many museums on my trip containing historical art, it is no different. However, I'm not at all saying it's bad and I am happy to have visited and seen genuine Russian paintings. But if I had stayed in Moscow for less than a week I might have chosen different things to do.