“Reasonable Hotel”

Ranked #195 of 309 Hotels in Moscow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Reasonable Hotel”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This hotel was a reasonably comfortable hotel with a good choice of restaurants - we ate in the Indian restaurant on the top floor where both service and food quality was good. On the same floor it is possible to gain access to the outside perimeter of the building and view the quite magnificent Moscow skyline.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bobcat C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed January 11, 2012

well i have been visiting this hotel for the past 10 years and have seen all the good bad and the ugly. The negatives far outweigh the good the location is not convenient as its a good 15 mins walk to the metro station and located on one of the busiest roads. There is no good shopping close by and its not a tourist friendly area for sure. The rooms are so tiny almost like a railway wagon compartment and the toilet shower even smaller. The decor and ambience is still of the soviet era. They still don't offer almost any english tv channels and internet connection in rooms is out of question. The only good thing for me has been that being a vegetarian they have an indian restaurant on the rooftop and thats one of my main reasons to live here. Being a regular since a decade i alway get a room guaranteed being any season and the rates are affordable in the costliest city of Mosocw.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank shahnits
Belgrade
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed in hotel Sputnik in June 2011 and it was very hot in mocsow these days. Thsi hotel does not have any AC and windows can barely be open so basically I was being cooked in the room, not being able to sleep at all.
My colleague gave some shirt to be ironed and tomorrow we were late to meeting as the maids coudnt find the shirt for an hour!!!
Food is poor, bathroom was very tiny and so was everything in the room. It's on the main street so it was very loud too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank senkayu

Travelers are raving about these Moscow hotels

Chennai
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Sputnik is conveniently located on the spacious Leninsky Prospekt surrounded by unbelievable greenery and just a long walk to the dancing banks of Moscow River. Sputnik gives you neat economy rooms, small but adequate. The breakfast buffet spread is good and you've a convenient bar next to it:-) If you're adventurous with your taste buds, you've a Japanese eatery and an Indian restaurant attached to this hotel. Coming back to long walks, I strongly recommend that you leg it to the Moscow River and if you're game and have a full day devoted to your beautiful legs, stroll along the river, drinking in the greenery along the banks, to Kremlin!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank keralav
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed March 11, 2009

Location is not so perfect. Metro station is far. But it takes 10 minutes to get to the center by taxi.
Generally I felt soviet atmospare and level of services. But taking into account the price in the hotel, it is worth staying there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank vovsun
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed November 5, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Sputnik for 8 days because my husband was attending a science conference, the organizers booked us. I have stayed all over the world in motels and hotels small and large, fancy and simple, rural and urban and I have never had such a dreadful experience in my life. The building itself is Sputnik era, delapidated, not fire safe, far from the centre of Moscow and on Leninsky Prospect which is a 8 lane highway lined with Soviet era apartment blocks. No restaurants only tiny local shops. Only one of the hotel elevators worked, there was an 8 inch gap between the elevator and the floor so you had to jump over the gap, could look down to the basement 8 stories below and when it came to a halt the elevator bounced about a foot. Once, when I was alone at night, it stopped between floors, the doors opened to a brick wall and the emergency button didn't work.The entire building filled up with smoke every lunch time (freak out the first day) because there is a large group of (Mongolian?) employees who have a barbeque inside the basement every lunch time. We were on the 7th or 8th floor and the smell of heating fuel oil in the hall ways was over whelming - naturally the smell of oil and the smoke freaked me out every day. The windows in the rooms are full wall size which swing open completely floor to ceiling, no safely rail. The maids opened them every day so when we opened our door there was a huge sucking rushing wind and I had to hang onto the door frame while my husband groped his way over to slam the windows shut. Every maid or cleaner who came into our room was chain smoking so the entire place smelled like an old ashtray. We had to send some laundry out and it came back perfectly pressed, but when we opened the plastic bag is smelled like someone had used the clothes as a cigarette filter. It was so bad we laughed out loud - what else to do? The people at the front desk were fatastically, almost comically beligerent. It was a gulag atmosphere with armed guards and everyone kowtowing when the manager arrived every morning. Mobster types with bulges on their hips and their girlfriends in micro mini skirts with blond hair to their knees playing video poker all day and night in the lobby. No staff spoke proper English, some had been hired on the claim they spoke English, but they hated English speakers and the more you tried to explain the more hostile they became because they couldn't understand and their job was on the line - I watched them do this to many people - keeping their passports for no reason, not giving them an extra room key, refusing to help or call the manager when a child was lost in the subway or my husband was sick, etc. etc. Breakfast came with the room, when my husband was sick I went down to the breakfast room, where not only the guests, but all the staff, their family, girlfriends and boyfriends were eating in the shadows. I tried to take a tray of food up to my husband, one of the waitresses actually wrenched it out of my hands! No one eats outside the breakfast room! It seemed to me that if anyone had a job in Moscow, no matter how small, their entire family and all their friends showed up and lived on the job with them. I hated the smell of cigarette smoke all the time in what was supposed to be a non-smoking floor, so one evening I wandered down the hotel hall. I discovered about 10 old and young men smoking and hanging out in a little lounge by the elevator. When I pushed open the door to the next hotel room there were all the women and children camped out, cooking and living in a large double suite. Someone rushed and slammed the door shut. They were obviously all living there and kickbacks were going to all the hotel management for the priviledge. I ordered a taxi to a clinic one day it was 50 rubles, the next day ,when they knew I was desparate, it was 150 rubles. Kickbacks everywhere.

Basically this hotel is horendous and a fire trap disaster waiting to happen. If I can talk one person out of staying there I will be happy.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Hostile environment and dangerous building in inconvenient location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15 Thank ChristineMargaret
Reviewed October 4, 2008

September 2008 Our first introduction to Moscow. This was one of the worst hotels I've stayed at. I agree with some of the reviewers in that the rooms are small, but that didn't matter as much as the awful service with which we were unprepared. Front desk staff in particular were rude, narrow minded, unhelpful and just plain difficult.. Checking in was a nightmare even though we had paid reservations. I had the distinct impression that they did not like or want to cater to non-Russian people. I would never stay here again and i would urge you to do the same.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff were awful
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Taylorhedy