“Nice building makes up for lack of service”

Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya
Ranked #29 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Beautiful Stalin-esque building (one of his Seven Sisters) in a convenient location near train stations and two metro lines (red and brown). Not much in the immediate neighborhood, so be prepared to use the transit systems to see sights. Rooms are simple and small, but do not feel cramped. We stayed here for a weekend and were quite satisfied with the amenities and westernized comforts (which one should expect from a Hilton). However, the service was terrible. From the unsmiling reception clerks to several annoying "room checks" (i.e. requesting to enter our room when we were there and checking our mini-fridge use), it was rather unpleasant. Also, as we were checking out, they said we had a 2,500 Ruble breakfast that morning when, in fact, we hadn't. The reception desk did not believe me when I said we had not charged a breakfast and even called the restaurant to make sure! And then she still looked at me suspiciously! I was outraged. I expect more from this hotel chain.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise - hotel is located on a busy intersection.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie P
Beginen, General Manager at Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2011

Dear Julie P,

Let me thank you for staying with us while in Moscow and for your review.

However, I would like to use this opportunity to bring my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. Thank you for sharing detailed information on the matters you encountered, let me assure you that they will be discussed with our managers.

It will be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back!

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel was in a very old, historic, expansvie, beautiful building; I wish I could have stayed longer. We got in at 3:30 a.m. and were being picked up at 7:30 a.m. so we were only there for four hours, the hotel still charged us $260 so we paid $65/h for the privilege of staying there. Since I was exhausted and knew I would have a hard time waking up, I ordered a room service breakfast to be delivered to make sure I was awake. I ordered two slices of bacon, two eggs, and toast, hung the tag on the door and called the front desk to make sure someone picked it up. I didn't check the price, because I was wanting to go to sleep and, really, how much could it be? Well, I'll never do that again because upon check-out (four hours later) I found out that my breakfast was $77 USD. The room was okay, bathroom was nice, internet connection was horrible and virtually impossible to use with their password system, good thing it was free, but that's about the only thing that is free there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Every time I go to Moscow I'm happy because I know I can come back to this hotel: from the welcoming to the service to the rooms, everything is top level. The restaurante maybe lacks a little bit of an extraordinary cuisine but still all meals are enjoyable.
It might not be the best location in town, but with a 20 minutes walk you can easily reach the Red Square, otherwise it is very close to two lines of metro.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Dear Matteo R,

Thank you very much for submitting your positive feedback!

It is a pleasure to learn that you find the hotel a nice place to stay in. We do our best to make each guest's stay special by ensuring the highest level of attention and service.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya again soon!

Reviewed October 25, 2011

Spouse, adult son, and I spent three nights here, on points, this past September. Spouse chose location because of its proximity to train station servicing the Sapsan high speed train to St. Petersburg, our next stop. A good service offered by hotel is pickup at airport. Worth every ruble. Hotel is not nearly so ugly as I was led to believe. Just oddly proportioned. Imagine an Empire State Building, with the set-backs, etc, but less that 20 stories: a squat lump. Inside, a 1930's Soviet idea of grandeur. Big, brash, but lacking true beauty and refinement. As spouse is Hilton Diamond we had access to Executive Lounge, which was wonderful: good breakfast, with many choices, and nice evening food, including very good soup. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Son taught himself a bit of Russian, so that helped. Room was on sixth floor (exec. floor), hence, convenient for relaxing as room itself was nothing special. Bathroom was large and pleasant. Amenities were the old Crabtree & Evelyn supply. Despite housekeeping setting up a third bed in the room, they never brought a third towel until we called. The two supplied were a bit skimpy. Amusingly, the first time called for a third "bath towel," bellman delivered a bath mat. Also, only one bar of soap, and the small size at that! Again, we had to call to request supplies sufficient to our modest needs. Hotel is convenient by Metro to Red Square. I would suggest becoming familiar with Cyrillic writing in order to better understand Metro signage and station stops.

Room Tip: Have status in Hilton plan.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Dear mbeth1403,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya on your trip to Moscow!

It is a pleasure to learn that you had a positive experience in our hotel. However, let me bring apologies for that misunderstanding with a bath towel and thank you for bringing our attention to this incident.

We will be glad to see you as a guest in our hotel again and provide you with the level of service Hilton Hotels are known for.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel with a short subway ride to Red Square and beyond. Staff was wonderful. Our room was a delightful retreat from the busy city. Lobby lounge was welcoming at all hours.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear TTidball,

Thank you very much for such a nice review!

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we sincerely hope to welcome you back soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2011

First visit to Russia! Decided to stay in historic building, the lobby is grand and elegant! An architectural historical masterpiece! It is pricey though!

Check in staff is friendly, speak very good English! Helped me out with train tickets, held my luggage for two nights when I was not in hotel. Bell help took my bags to room!

As a Hilton Honors Gold was upgraded to executive floor, not too far away from executive lounge. The lounge has a couple of computers, very well stocked beverage area. Morning breakfast was generous and afternoon food was plentiful! I was very satisfied. I was also given welcome wine and box of chocolates!

The room was far more spacious than an average Hilton room and the bathroom was very modern and spacious. Large desk area. I was very comfortable. Elegant wood trim! Turndown service!

The view of my room was toward a side street, looking at a building. It was a busy street but the windows are very sound proof. You may request high floor, front view, it is nicer, but I liked my location since it was next to lounge on 6th floor.

This hotel is top of the line Hilton hotel. The ATM in hotel was not working, but outside across the building there is a bank, atms, I was able to change currency.

The location of hotel is outside city center, but not too far either. Nothing of interest around hotel. The hotel is located 3 long blocks from the metro/train station. This train station is large, it is a large transportation hub, so many entrances, many people (including not so nice looking people hanging out on the sidewalk)

The first time from metro to hotel, it will be complicated, but once you know what the correct exit of the metro station is, it is a piece of cake!! My best advice, walk out the train station to the main road, and the large building at the end is the hotel. As simple as that. Walk past and under the viaduct, cross the busy intersection. You are there.

From the hotel, you are only a couple of metro stations away from red square. During our stay we only used the metro, for sightseeing, at all times. The metro is difficult, not because it is complex, or in a different language, but simply because there are no signs. A huge lack of signs! I compare the Tokyo metro which has more stations and far more complex, but it has tons of signs. Moscow metro is a museum and it seems billboards would do it harm.

Room Tip: Request higher floor (so you dont hear street traffic). ATM located at bank across hotel. Metro stat...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ORD-TGU
Beginen, General Manager at Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

Dear TGU-ORD,

Thank you very much for staying with us while in Moscow! We really appreciate your gracious comments and it is a true pleasure to learn that you enjoyed accommodations and service.

Using this opportunity, I would like to share a bit more detailed information on our location. There are two metro stations nearby: Komsomolskaya (the one you used) and Krasnye Vorota. We suggest that our guests should use the second one as it is easier to find, there are much fewer people and you don’t have to wait a long time to cross the street. The Krasnye Vorota station is on the right side from the hotel, right down the street.

Let me thank you one more time for your review! I hope that you will be our guest again!

Reviewed October 16, 2011

The Hilton was my choice for my first trip to Moscow. I stayed three nights and spent 1 day at a business meeting and 3 days sightseeing.

As a HHonors Gold member, I received an upgrade to a deluxe room that was very spacious and nicely appointed. There was plenty of space to spread out, work at the desk and relax in the chairs. I was on a high floor and the views of the city were nice.

The staff was quite helpful and did some nice things to help me with my first time to Moscow. It was clear I had no idea what I was doing and they tried to help me! I relied on the entire concierge team to help me get around the city and to the main sights, and they were great.

The lounge is a good one and has nice appetizers and drinks. The gym was also nice.

The location is not exactly great. There isn't any major tourist sites in the immediate area. You have to take the subway to the Red Square and other places, but they are only 3-5 stops away. However the Moscow subway is not for the faint-hearted.

I found this hotel to be a great place for Westerners who are looking to explore Moscow with some home comforts.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank letsgofire

Dear letsgofire,

We really appreciate that you chose Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya while staying in Moscow and that you took your time to leave your gracious comments here. It is a true pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

It is especially flattering to read your comments on our team members. The hotel staff is committed to ensuring that our guests’ stay is both enjoyable and comfortable.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back at the hotel anytime soon!