“Big old monumental Hotel”
Review of Hotel Cosmos

Hotel Cosmos
Ranked #145 of 317 Hotels in Moscow
Bozen
“Big old monumental Hotel”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Cosmos Hotel is old fashion style of the early eighties and should urgently be renovated, not to make cry the statue of Charles de Gaulle in front of the Hotel and the approximately 1.700 guests. The rooms are quite spacious, but not really clean, old furniture, very bad mattrasses, old and dirty carpeting, loud and bad closing doors. Personell shows very little interest for the guests, don't know who pays for their salaries, maybe should be explained to chambermaids, receptionists, waiters... They don't greet the guests, haven't seen any friendly smile in the Hotel. Breakfast ist maybe the same since 30 years, broad but uninspired and at its best mediocre.
The hotel is located a little bit ourside of the centre, near the aerospacial museum, the is a metro station at 300 meters and with only one change of trains in 30 minutes can be reached the Red Square.
The Spa (fitness centre, sauna, swimming poos) is quite nice, but costs approx. 20 euro extra.

Room Tip: If you choose this hotel try to get a room in the upper floors, 20 - 24 to join the vista over Mosco...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PapavonKathi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. Now it's not all bad but, I will list all the pros and cons.
The hotel is very dated and I dyer need of a renovation. The decor is very 70's and the rooms are very much the same. The service is nonexistent and the staff are very unfriendly, unhelpful and don't speak English to an acceptable level.
The rooms are as previously stated very dated. We stayed in 2272 on the 22nd floor, which is right next to the lift. The traffic past our room was quiet however, the noise from the lifts moving up and down can be inconvenient to some. The bed linen was old and had holes in them, the same for the towels and even the lace curtains had holes in them probably due to the sharp edges on the window when opened. If you require a hair dryer, you need need to call reception, hope they understand you then they will send someone to give you one however, the only plug you can use is miles away from the mirror and therefore rendered useless. I just took the mirror of the wall an placed it on the desk near the plug where it should have been in the first place. The television only has 3 English channels, all of which are news. There are loads to do in the hotel. Many little souvenir stores, that all sell the same things, and loads of restaurants however, you may want to avoid the BAR unless you have deep pockets. There is spa and gym with pool but, didn't check them out so can't comment. There is also a nightclub on the premises to those interested that is open from 21:00 to 05:00. If you do decide to spend some time in the lobby where there is slow, free wifi you may get to see the protetutes that hang around after 22:00. Overall, I would strongly suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Hanlie1977

Travelers are raving about these Moscow hotels

malta
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location.Good breakfast.All services are available in this hotel.Free Wifi in lobby.Prices for food a bit above average. English language is a bit of a problem but you can find someone at reception who speaks a bit of English.Security at its best. Ate from the Pub restaurant and has a wide range of food and drinks.Nothing out of this world but if I had to go again I will stay.Smoking rooms and also smoking areas.

Room Tip: Hotel room level 9 was ok.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Izhevsk, Russia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I'm Russian, but live far from Moscow and visit this city only 2-3 times a year. I had to stay there for a couple of nights before flying abroad at the beginning of this year. They were offering seasonal discounts and I thought I could go for it because I had always thought it was one of the best and most famous hotels in our capital city.
I think my stay was worth the money I paid for it (around $250 for 2 night stay in a double room) but I wasn't impressed by the hotel at all.
Two things I didn't like: very expensive Wi-Fi (and slow, too) and impudent room service.
Wi-Fi is free in the lobby but it was extremely uncomfortable to sit downstairs because the doors kept opening and closing and it was very chilly there. I bought a Wi-Fi access card, paid $10 for 1 hour and the uploading speed was ridiculous, I even couldn't Skype with my family because of the hiccupie connection.
Room service issue: I received a phone call from the lobby (because we were sleeping in pretty late) and got informed that the lady is on her way to our room to change towels. I tried to explain that we are only staying for 2 days and it is not necessary and that we were in bed, not expecting anyone to come see us, but they just hung up on me. The maid came immediately after the phone call and opened the door without knocking. She wasn't embarrassed when she saw us in our pajamas, asked for the towels, took them and left.
Obviously, I wasn't happy with the service, otherwise the hotel is okay. But if you are a foreigner, choose a different hotel closer to the city centre, because the location of "Cosmos" is not that good for sightseeing.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sveta C
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I hope when i will visit the hotel next time i will found it better than this time and hope to found my room 2535 will be free for me thank you for the Italian restaurant staff it was amazing but the pizza not was very good but any way thank you and hope to found some one in the whole hotel speak english next time as well
Mina shaker

• Stayed October 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Being my first time to Russia, I did not know what to expect. Buffet breakfast provided daily with free but slow wifi in the internet, checking out was quite a slow process but staff were nonetheless quite proficient in English. Toilets were dim, rooms were outdated but decent-looking, beds were slightly comfortable but pillows were too soft for comfort. Was quite thankful that I could speak some bits of Russian as I had forgotten to bring out my key card and not wanting to disturb my room mate, I had sought the assistance of the babushka who was quite trusting to assist me! Overall, a normal experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

People what happened to customer service 101. I think this place is grossly over rated. It is like a railway station.
If you want a reasonable experience in Russia stick to the major chain. Again this is Russia baby not Thailand

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business