“Yikes !!!!!”

Ranked #28 of 320 Hotels in Moscow
Madrid
“Yikes !!!!!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

First of all, this hotel is huge, I'm not talking about just..big, or massive, this hotel is absolutely HUGE - literally one of the biggest hotels I've ever stayed in.... And, one of the most colorful, that's for sure. As a Best Western top tier member I had the expectation of getting some service, but hey... The sheer size of this thing will dilute any false impressions anyone has of ever getting any decent level of service there... The fact that you're not a member of the Izmailovo club makes it worse.
The only reason I'm not giving this hotel a one star is because of the fact that there was one guest relations manager called Anastacia who was absolutely phenomenal - before I had the privilege of meeting her, my stay was a nightmare...
Arriving at SVO on a late night flight, I had the impression that we could beat the traffic into the city, and... I was right ! The taxi raced through the streets nonstop - and, it still took us 1.5 hours to get to the hotel... (for those of you who haven't visited Moscow that will give you an idea of how big it is)... After 1.5 hours of zooming through the streets of the second most expensive city in the world we pulled up to this gigantic complex of about 5 different buildings, at the center was the hotel. Of course, at this hour, and this temperature, who could DREAM of having anyone outside... (not that we expected it) - so, we lugged our baggage into the lobby... And... what a lobby it is !
In all hotels I've been to, your directions are pretty straightforward... Door > Reception > Members desk > Checkin > Passport / Creditcard / Membership card > Key > Elevator - ROOM...
In this hotel...
Door.... <Choose one of 7 reception desks, then get sent away from 4 of them because no one speaks english> - Find the only one that does speak English who's also at the end of her shift, and have to go through an agnoising 44 minute checkin process of endless discussions between her and her colleagues in Russian, then yelling really (and I mean really) loudly about upgrades only being for "privileged" members of the Izmailovo club and that she had "already upgraded you to the best available room and for that you should be grateful, if you don't like it go somewhere else...." Great ! Welcome to a new definition of service... > followed by a "validation" process of our passports (what on earth that was, I don't know)... Followed by a check of our keycards by elevator security (what ?) before going up to my floor, and having to go through not one, but two security doors on the floor to get to my room (think prison gates) ... before entering a room with wicker furniture (best available) which is as big as the bathroom at another hotel I've stayed in...
Of note : If you get through to someone that speaks English at the late night shift, then be sure you get everything clarified... They did not allow me to place a creditcard deposit for in-room dining and I ended up having to pay everything in cash. This was later repudiated by the GRM Anastacia and was one of the many things she ended up thankfully resolving for me.
The next day, I tried to order breakfast, and the room service actually called me 4 times to make sure I knew I had to pay in cash. Reason ? Apparently this hotel's so big that people manage to skip out on paying the bills. This was followed by a cold breakfast of once-hot eggs After one trip down to the lobby I noticed that there were much more staff than during the night, the pleasant surprise was... They actually spoke English ! I immediately asked for a change from my claustrophobic room and it took them all of 3 seconds to deny it - reason, I'm a best western member and not a local club member... On my way back to the elevator... The security guard asked to see my card...
No, not my ID card, my hotel keycard... (To this moment, I am stunned as to the reason this happened...repeatedly during my stay)... He would look at it and give it back to me... Immigrations at SVO airport did the same thing, but they took my passport which had something to read on it...
Anyway...
There's 2 restaurants in the lobby, and one cafe, the Gusi Lebedi is actually not so bad, the chairs are comfortable, the food portions are good, but the prices are astronomical (as I found, for Moscow) ... The cafe, same thing, the Stary-Dvorik was my favorite though. It's very Russian in style, and despite being very expensive, I have to admit had the most generous food portions I have seen anywhere in a long time... If you go to this restaurant, their beef steak - well done with Garnish and Mashed potatoes is to die for....
The interesting thing about Russian gastronomy is, it's very generous. The food is good, the courses many and of course the drinks... One has to give credit to the Russians for turning their culinary skills into an addictive art for the followers. It took two visits to the Stary Dvorik for me to realise I was having a 7 course breakfast ! It's good enough not to be noticed....
I think Moscow's a good place not to look for any foreign cuisines... There's absolutely no harm in indulging yourself in Russian food. It's good, and leaves a very powerful aftertaste in your mouth. Strogonoff - Borsch - Steak - Blini - Pelmeniy - Olivier - all of it, but of course, waiting for over an hour at times to be served does tend to try your patience...
The lobby's got a lot of souvenir shops in it... The matryoshkas you can buy in the lobby are actually cheaper than the ones you can find in Red square... So make your pick, or if you're feeling adventurous do some shopping in Red Square... The Gum itself is a place you can tell your grandchildren about...
But, back to the hotel... On my third day in this hotel I had the privilege of meeting GRM Anastacia, after explaining my problem to her she was kind enough to help me with resolving all my problems at this hotel. It is interesting to note the Vega has two hotel room sizes... Closet size and mini-villa size... I could have stayed there for a year after that !
I have to admit I don't have a very positive impression of this hotel. It is part of a mega complex that has a whole bunch of nice restaurants within the complex itself - try the pizza place, it's actually not bad at all... Facility wise, the building itself is more of what it sells itself as - a convention center... The metro is just across the road from it.
Moscow's not for the faint of heart, but if you dive into it properly, it's an incredible experience that will leave you with many stories to tell... My last story was leaving the hotel at 4 pm - to get to DME airport at 9... Traffic... Legendary....
Thanks for your help Anastacia, and I hope the hotel hires more people like you.

Room Tip: Get one on the right side of the building, the regular rooms are too small for a decent stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NightWhispers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as the prices were relatively reasonable for what we have always seen as being a 'safe Western chain choice'. How wrong we were.

For starters, it took almost an hour to get to the reception desk, where we greeted by extremely moody and unpleasant staff, not one of whom spoke a word of English - I know you can't expect miracles in Russia, but this was Moscow, and I reiterate...it was a Western hotel chain.

After enduring the agonising check-in process, we made our way to the room which we specified as a double, non-smoking. Of course, it had two single beds pushed together with paper thin matresses, and EVERYTHING stunk to high heaven of cigarette smoke - it almost made us heave. Even the water from the shower smelt of smoke and was brown on initial start up.

Sleep quality was appalling, not just because of the awful beds provided, but moreso the fact that there were clearly 'working girls' hanging around the reception bar, waiting to pounce on the plethora of 'gentlemen' using the Hotel for conferences. Drunk people were making loads of noise up and down the corridors all night long and it wasn't even the weekend.

Location is not central, but close to the Metro, and easy enough to trek in and out.

Moscow is a huge City, and there must be a multitude of options better than this pit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sherif H
TatyanaRagekh, Manager at Vega Izmailovo Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Mr. Harding,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Best Western Vega Hotel&Convention Center and for your feedback. Every day we strive to provide high quality service. Customer reviews, both positive and constructive, are very helpful to us in this matter. Let me comment on your notes in your feedback. Regarding the procedure for check-in, our staff is always interested and ready to provide our guests with rooms as soon as possible. Duration and quality of guest registration strictly comply with international standards.
Good English language skills are a prerequisite for employment at the Vega hotel.
However, some of our administrators can also speak French, German and Spanish. English courses are held regularly at our hotel, as well as a variety of trainings to improve the skills needed in hospitality field.
Best Western Vega Hotel has 967 rooms and takes in large groups of guests visiting our hotel for different purposes. During the large arrivals of such groups we require an increased amount of rooms with twin beds. For these purposes in our hotel there are rooms with bed-transformers. I believe this room was provided to you upon your check-in. It is unfortunate that this has created additional inconvenience for you. However, on your first request we could relocate you into a more comfortable room.
I'm sorry that other guests brought you inconvenience. However, if during the nighttime some guests deliver inconvenience and interrupt the sleep of other guests, at the first note our security staff politely take care of such matters.
Mr. Harding, I am truly sorry that your expectations were not met during your stay at our hotel. I really hope to see you again as our guest to improve the impression and surround you with care, comfort and a personal touch. I would like to invite you to apply to the VIP- check-in for your next visit, where you will be welcomed with complimentary champagne and chocolates and provided with full information on all our facilities.
At the slightest inconvenience during your stay our Guest Relations Managers will gladly and quickly assist you in any question or requests.

Once again thank you for your review and for your attention to our hotel!

Anna Mordvinova
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel offers a good stay without any frills. The room was quite small but cleaned and the restaurants were acceptable but definitely not meeting the expectations of a refined palate after a full day of work. A special thumbs up for the breakfast, succulent and varied (October 2012)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TatyanaRagekh, Guest Relations Manager at Vega Izmailovo Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Andrea,

Thank your for staying with us and taking time to share your experience here on www.tripadvisor.com.
At Best Western Vega Hotel & Convention Center we strive every day to provide a superior customer service and try to do our best to make stay of our guests really comfortable and memorable.
We are glad that you found our breakfasts rich and good quality.
I hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with exceptional service.

Best Regards.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

When we were looking for hotels in Moscow we found that the prices are very high so we were faced with a budget hotel in the centre or a better quality hotel further out and booked the Best Western.

The hotel is very easy to get to on public transport via the Partisankaya station. Turn left out of the station and you can see the hotel which is less than a five minute walk away. We arrived from St Petersburg that morning so got to the hotel at 12:00 with check in at 14:00. We tried to check in but no rooms were available - fair enough really. We stored our bags in the luggage room (free for up to six hours) 150r per bag beyond this.

When we returned to the hotel check in was easy and quick. Security is tight and you have to show your room card and the carrier with the room number on it to get to the lifts. Our room was quite large and modern aswell as being clean and comfortable. Having a fridge, safe and wifi all FOC was useful.

Getting to the centre of Moscow is very easy only three stops to Ploschad Revolutsii which is very close to red square.

We got a good rate from Expedia, it didn't include breakfast but this was available separetely at 550r per person per day. We tried it out of curiosity one morning and were pleased with the quality and very wide choice.

There are a number of other ex Soviet hotels in the same complex aswell as a number of bars restaurants and shop. We bought beer from the mini market on the left as you leave the hotel and had food/drink at the Kpyxka bar (good beer - poor food) on the left hand side of the metro station.

We ate at the Gusi-Lebedi restaurant in the hotel (see separate review) which was ok but quite expensive.

Very satisfactory stay and would happily use again if we get the chance to go to Moscow in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank matthewjfarrar
TatyanaRagekh, Guest Relations Manager at Vega Izmailovo Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Best Western Vega Hotel and Convention Center. We are very pleased with your feedback. We appreciate your trust in us. We value your opinion very much and always do our best to provide our guests with high-quality service. It’s great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel's location, restaurant menu, room facilities and the level of service convenient regarding your needs.

We are happy to invite you to visit our hotel again. Our professional team are ready to make your stay with us really memorable.

Guest Relations Manager.
Best Western Vega Hotel and Convention Center.
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked a room at some famous booking site (ostrovok.ru) and paid for staying by booking price when I checked in. However next day they left notification that I needed to pay extra money since there were some issues regarding prices in agreement with his partner (booking site). Can you imagine this for the hotel that was rated as 4*?! Moreover they said that if didn’t pay extra money they turned me out. So, I don’t know how this situation will be resolved but at least I contacted booking site to fix this issue with his partner (BEST WESTERN Vega Hotel & Convention Center). Anyway I conclude that the hotel doesn’t take care about reputation and responsibility for a customer! I would never recommend this hotel to other customers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Astakhofff
Dear Andrei!

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Best Western Vega Hotel & Convention Center for your stay in Moscow. We are glad that you chose our hotel and thank you for leaving detailed feedback regarding our work.

Andrei, the whole team at the Best Western Vega Hotel is sorry that you faced such an unpleasant situation during your stay with us. We would like to note that your reservation was made through a third party Ostrovok.ru, which provided the wrong prices on their website for accommodation at our hotel. When this situation occurred, the staff at Best Western Vege Hotel & Convention Center And while our staff were trying to figure out the situation and assist you in this unpleasant case, we hope you did notice that the third party did nothing to resolve this problem, they did not contact you or the hotel and did not provide any information regarding this case, and just stepped away from solving the problem.

Of course we understand that no body’s perfect, and sometimes such unpleasant and inconvenient situations do occur, but being a part of the Best Western Vega Hotel team, I assure you that our staff member go out of their way to provide high quality service to all of our guests at all times and provide each guest with an individual approach. And it is very disappointing to our team when a third party can destroy all of our hard work and make it look like we do not care for our guests.
Unexpected situations do happen at times. We are glad that in the end, this problem was solved in a positive manner and you did not have to make any additional payments for your accommodation.

Once again please let us thank you for providing us with your feedback. We also did notice that you rated our location, cleanness and the quality of sleep at a high mark, but the service and value for money was rated a 1 out of 5. Andrei, we do hope that you will give us a chance to recover our service mark and provide you with comfort and care.

We will be glad to see you soon as a guest at the Best Western Vega Hotel & Convention Center.

Anastassia Laperdina
Oxford
Reviewed December 16, 2013

A standard Best western hotel - clean rooms, good shower and pleasant staff. Good breakfast choice which meant we could fill up before heading into Moscow for the day and just eat in the evening. We enjoyed the challenge of finding our way round Moscow using the Metro and this hotel is close to a Metro stop so perfect for us as it meant we could stay here at a very reasonable price rather than use a city centre expensive hotel. We flew with EasyJet and it was extremely easy to get the train from the airport into Moscow then use a Metro train to the hotel. Turn left out of the metro station, walk to the corner and look up to the left - you can see the hotel's sign! It took a while to get used to the Russian alphabet so the Metro signs are a challenge but there are lots of helpful websites about using the metro so don't let the hotel's location put you off staying here. The area felt very safe and we used one of the local bars for our first night's meal and it was fine and also used a mini supermarket by the hotel - also very good. Our floor did not have tea and coffee facilities but there was a water dispenser in the hallway which had cold and hot water so that was fine for my green tea but if you take milk it's not so good. Fridge in the room was useful as it was empty so we could chill the water that was provided each day free of charge. Also useful for the vodka we'd bought from the local supermarket... when in Russia..! The bed was ok and could have done with a foam topper but given our sleep was disrupted by the time change this wasn't a big issue. We walked miles around Moscow seeing it all so I suppose if you like to keep popping back to your hotel this isn't very convenient but on our short break we were happy to stay out all day, except one when we came back to the hotel to change before going out again to eat in the evening, so this wasn't a problem for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank WanderlustMum1
TatyanaRagekh, Guest Relations Manager at Vega Izmailovo Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Guest!

I would like to thank you for choosing the Best Western Vega Hotel & Convention Center and for your feedback.
Especially I would like to thank you for such pleasant words about our helpful staff, the clean and comfortable rooms, and the location of the hotel.
Your comments are of great importance to us. We are happy to find out that you have only good and pleasant impressions left from your stay. The staff at our hotel work very hard everyday to provide our guests with high quality service, and it is always such a pleasure to hear positive feedback from our guests.
We hope you will come back and see us again so that we can have another chance to provide with a superior service and pleasant experience.
Also we are very glad to hear you enjoyed Moscow and your trip to Russia went well!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel was excellent value, the service was good, the rooms were very nice, comfortable and clean. The restaurant was very good too, I enjoyed the food and they served 24 hours. However there were very few women in the hotel, and it seemed as though there were quite a few prostitutes?!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jodie B
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Best Western Vega Hotel & Convention Center.
We were happy to get your feedback. We deeply appreciate your valuable comments. Your opinion helps us measure the level of our services and improve them.
We are happy to invite you to visit our hotel again. Our professional teams are ready to make your stay with us really memorable.
Have a good day.