“Excellent design, wonderful hotel”

Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow
Ranked #9 of 315 Hotels in Moscow
Montreux, Switzerland
“Excellent design, wonderful hotel”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed twice

amazing design, stayed at suit.
perfect bathroom
have not a chance to experience club lounge, just had some snacks there, but the people are really nice.

had a good experience
Can recommend it for my foreigner friends

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
radisson_royal, Senior Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear miroshnichenko_e,
Thank you for staying at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow and leaving such a positive feedback.
We really appreciate your kind comments regarding the quality of service at our property, room decors and amenities. It would be a true honor for us to welcome you and your colleagues back on your next visit to Moscow!

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Reservation lost. Smoking room for non smoker. Business center closed. the Lobby bar is understaffed. It takes hours to order or pay. I have no idea how they got this awards. the only positive point was the fitness center.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

2 Thank Eric B
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Eric B,
Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to share a feedback.
We would like to apologize for all inconveniences you have experienced during your stay and check-in process. We have done a complete investigation regarding the issues described in your review. We would like to note, that your reservation was not confirmed at the moment of the booking, since your company did not provide us credit card to guarantee your reservation, which is obligatory for all corporate rates according to our contract with your company. On the same day, when you've arrived at Radisson Royal, we have immediately provided you a room with a corporate rate, despite our policy that all walk-in guests without a confirmed reservation are provided with rack rates, that are always higher than we provide to our corporate clients. We sincerely apologize for providing you a smoking room instead of non-smoking, as well as not meeting your expectations regarding the quality of service at the Lobby Bar. Both of the situations are not standard for us and occurred because of the high occupancy on that period. Nevertheless, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your time at our wellness club. For any issue please contact me personally at Jesper.Henriksen@radisson-hotels.ru. We will be happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Moscow!

Jesper Henriksen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is a huge, impressive hotel, full of all the right people (and their body guards) and everything that those right people could wish to buy. But for all of that...you will never forget that you are in Moscow and you ARE being watched. From my IPad out of its case when i came back to my room, to mysterious phone calls (no one on the other end when i picked up) while watching a CNN documentary on Putin, to the line of hulking "security" that eye you up and down with every entrance and exit, people know who you are and want to know what you are doing. Stay up late or wake up nice and early to watch the line of extremely beautiful, scantily clad women depart the hotel on foot...or see Victor Yanukovych check in (true story) after he disappeared from Ukraine. Remember this is what you are paying for, to stay in the center of what Russia has become! But for all of that the hotel is undeniably impressive. I enjoyed the model of the Kremlin in the lobby and the breakfast makes waking up easy. Internet is quick and free (impressive for a hotel that charges $10 to wash an undershirt). I loved the river cruise with dinner at night and a heated bathroom floor is perfect in the winter months. Just don’t expect smiles from the staff or any welcoming feeling...or a clock in your room?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nick H
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Nick H,
Thank you for staying with us and submitting a review on TripAdvisor. It's pleasure to read, that you did enjoy our in-room amenities, variety of on-site services, super buffet breakfast and diorama "Moscow - the capital of USSR". Also, it's great to hear, that you had a chance to go for a river cruise with Flotilla Radisson Royal. Regarding your comments about the quality of service - we will take your comments into consideration and would definitely follow up internally on all of the issues described. We would like to note, that we are not spying on our guests or touching their personal devices without their permission. It’s unfortunate that the amount of security staff made you feel uncomfortable. As we have previously mentioned in our management responses, this is a necessity due to our close proximity to important government buildings, like the House of Government of Russian Federation, the Embassy of the USA, the Embassy of UK etc. For any issue please contact me personally at Jesper.Henriksen@radisson-hotels.ru. We will be happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Moscow!

Jesper Henriksen
England
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The architecture of this building is quite spectacular. Inside, everything possible has been done to attract people who like glittering and sparkly objects. There are expensive baubles for sale around every corner, marble and gilt on every floor and doorknob and the wellness centre is packed full of beautiful people. Unfortunately, the true luxuries in modern life - a smile from the staff perhaps, a bit of trust (a deposit will be charged to your card for extras - I suppose they have many fraudsters - and your room number and name will be checked before you are allowed to leave the bar) are missing. Even some of the gadgets becoming more common in the luxury bracket are not to be found (electric blinds, non-steam mirrors, a decent hifi system, apple tv etc)

In line with local laws and practice, smoking is allowed in the lobby bar which gives the endless acres of gilt edged sofas a nasty aroma and, dare I say it, a touch of sleaziness not helped by the surrounding glum staff. A visit to the mercedes bar (near the top) was met with disrespect and derision - be sure you can speak Russian. Speaking English, French or German is not good enough it seems.

The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The laundry service is fast. Security is good and the rooms are, generally, quiet at night. The views from the rooms are all good (overlooking the river isn't significantly superior) but I do recommend trying to get a room on the upper floors. The breakfasts are ledgendary.

Of course this is a good hotel - but at this price it ought to be. In the final analysis it is low value for money on an American/Westen europe scale, and average for Russian. For those who enjoy their luxury at the Ostentatious end of the scale (who said Bling Bling!) step right this way. If you are seeking a slightly more discreet and sophisticated residence when in Moscow, there are alternative locations.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank amsuther
radisson_royal, Senior Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear amsuther,
Thank you for staying with us and submitting a review on TripAvisor. We highly appreciate you taking your time, sharing a detailed feedback and giving constructive criticism. It’s pleasure to know, that you enjoyed your stay despite some negative aspects you have mentioned. Also, please accept our special thanks for your positive comments regarding the architecture of our building, in-room amenities, variety of services at our property and super buffet breakfast at the Veranda restaurant. It is really pity for us to read, that you didn’t feel truly welcomed and the service quality did not meet your expectations. We would like to note, that we are constantly investing a lot of time and efforts in training of our staff, follow up with all situations internally and do everything possible to bring our service quality standards to yet even higher levels. We understand that you may find our costs of services expensive comparable to many other destinations, however I can assure you, that we are constantly monitoring the cost of services of other 5 star properties in Moscow and keep on the same level.
We sincerely hope, that you will give us another chance to welcome you back.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Amazing location, staff and food. Perfect place to stay in Moscow. Make sure to see the swimming pool. I'll definitely be returning one day, probably the best hotel i'll ever stay in. Everything was fantastic. 5*

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
radisson_royal, Senior Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Ian B,
Thank you for taking your time and sharing your positive review. We are really happy to read, that you enjoyed staying with us. Please accept our special thanks for kind comments regarding the hotel atmosphere, choice of on-site restaurants and quality of service. It is really great pleasure to hear, that you consider our hotel as one of the best, that you’ve ever visited. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Moscow!

Best regards,
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 5, 2014

When I reserved a room at this property on line, the specs and pictures looked pretty impressive. I was not at all disappointed, in fact its a lot more than I expected. The I reserved a standard room with the option to upgrade to DLX since this was going to be my 2nd to the last stop on my trans Siberian express journey with my son, I wanted a room big enough to move around, sort our baggage and do laundry.

This property is definitely a 5 star to say the least. The DLX room at 60 sqm was quite big, furnishing and interior is classic, this style is seen all throughout the hotel. Expect to do a lot of walking, the property is huge. Known as the hotel Ukraine, it is the 2nd largest of the 7 sisters building in Moscow, built during stalins reign, where everything had to be big. Everything in the room was perfect, very comfortable bed, heated bathroom tiled floors, extra towels, climate control that worked well. Only hitch was the windows cant open.

The Wellness center located in the basement pretty much blew me away. The gym was complete and can compete with Golds and fitness first, complete with DJ. they also had a snack bar where people can socialize and eat healthy food. The pool is 50 meters long, perfect temp., and had power jets in some of the lanes to massage your soar muscles. There are solariums for those that want to tan, a sauna, and a Hammam room. Complete with lighted domed top, to the ancient looking water basins in the 4 corners with ancient brass taps. There is also a resto bar in the pool area which is quite cool.

While in the property we were able to try 4 of the outlets, steak bar, farsi, Mercedes bar and tattler club, all had good eats, drinks were great although on the pricey side. The mercedes bar is a must, located on the top of the spire it has a fantastic view. Bfast on the 2nd floor is so far the best I've ever had in Europe in terms of choices, quality and quick service.

Only gripe was the presence of too many goony bouncers (security) then again better to have them then have a bomb go off. Although would be nice if they could speak English, while checking out the gym, one of them approached me and from the sign language he was telling my son and I that we couldn't work out if we were not in the proper attire, I had one heck of a difficult time telling him we were just checking out the place and had no intention of working out at that moment. Needless to say he showed us back to the reception area, that kinda go on my nerves.

Which brings me to perhaps my only gripe, customer service. The wellness center certainly had none whatsoever. When I was shown the way back to the reception area the girls and guys didn't bother explaining to Mr. bouncer that I was just checking out the place (which is what I told them I wanted to do). Also when I used the pool its all self service, no pone to prep your lounge chair or ask if you want a drink. No dressing room attendant. Hmm they desperately need someone from the 4 seasons to teach them a thing or 2 about customer service at that level.

In terms of location, its a bit far from everything, located in a residential area, but given the efficient public transport, quite accessible by tram or train or simply take a taxi.

Room Tip: get a room in the 5 story tower
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear jinx d,
Thank you for staying at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow us and leaving a positive review on TripAdvisor. It doesn’t happen very often, when a customer provides such a detailed feedback on almost all aspects of our services & gives constructive criticism, when needed. We really appreciate your time and effort. It’s true pleasure to read that you enjoyed the room decors & amenities, had a chance to try dining at most of our on-site restaurants & bars and unwind at the Royal Wellness Club. Nevertheless, it is really pity for us to read, that the amount of security staff have made you feel uncomfortable and you’ve experienced some issues during your visit to the wellness center. No doubt that situation would be thoroughly followed-up internally. We would like to note, that the wellness center is run by an outsourced company, that’s why we are not always able to supervise and oversee their operations. Regarding the amount of security staff – this is a necessity due to our close proximity to government related buildings, such as House of Government of Russian Federation and Embassies of the UK and the USA. We sincerely hope, that you will give us another visit on your next trip to Moscow!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is by far the best hotel I have every stayed in!
I have travelled the world an stayed in some of the best hotels like the Raffles Singapore and the Peninsula in Hong Kong. But this hotel out-ways them all.
This is a truly high end five star hotel.

I stayed at this hotel for one night after a stay at the National Hotel. The hotel was amazing in all aspects. The historical significance of the hotel truly added to my stay in Moscow it was unbelievable to stay in a Soviet style neo-gothic hotel that is one for the seven sisters buildings. From the outside, this is the best looking hotel in the world! And this continues into the lobby.
I would highly recommended reading about the history of this hotel before you stay.
Although being a Radisson this is unlike any chain hotel in the world, it doesn't carry the blandness, ugliness and characterless style, as in many Radisson hotels in America.

Location:
The hotel is in a very good location, it is within walking distance to a Metro stop that can take you straight to the Red Square in minutes.

Lobby:
This is probably the grandest and biggest lobby in the entire world. The lobby is huge and ornate with a fantastic mural in the middle. It also boasts many seating areas, a fantastic diorama of Moscow, a museum worthy art collection with many great soviet landscapes as well as fantastic Soviet sculptures.

Shops:
The hotel features many fantastic high end shops including: Ralph Lauren Home, Jewellery boutiques as well as a Rolls Royce dealership.

Check-in:
Efficient and friendly.

Concierge:
Fantastic concierge that recommended a great Georgian restaurant within walking distance, with directions that were easy to follow.

Breakfast:
I had a great breakfast in the lobby, but the coffee was very overpriced.

Room:
I stayed in a standard room which was excellent. The room size was large and very well appointed with a good sitting area, large desk and all the latest technology. The bathroom was very large and clean, decorated in black and white tiles. It also featured Penhaligons amenities which was a big plus. the room also had a good view over Moscow.

Negatives:
My only minor negative is that my Gold status as a Club Carlson member wasn't recognised at all. Having stayed 40 nights that year in Raddison Blu hotels it was a bit disappointing to receive no recognition or a room upgrade.

But this is truly a luxury hotel experience not to be missed.

Room Tip: White house view or high floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JDeNicolo
radisson_royal, Senior Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear JDeNicolo,
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a positive & constructive review. It is true pleasure for us to read, that you really did enjoy staying with us. Also, thank you so much for your comments regarding our location, interior decors and quality of service at our property. Such reviews as yours inspire us to bring our service standards to yet even higher levels. Regarding price of coffee, we understand that you may find our costs of services expensive comparable to many other destinations, however it is strictly following the levels of other 5 star properties in Moscow. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences regarding the situation with recognition of you Club Carlson membership. Unfortunately I was not able to find any information about your Club Carlson ID in our system that’s why I would really appreciate if you could describe us this situation in a separate email and send at Guestrelations.Royal.Moscow@radisson-hotels.ru.
Let us thank you again for staying with us and for taking your time to share your positive comments! It would be true honor to welcome you back on your next visit to Moscow!

With best wishes,