“Pretty awesome”

Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow
Ranked #12 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed October 18, 2012

As posh as can be, excellent accommodations for those who want to and can afford it. Great view of the river, good restaurants, and superb spa/club. Executive floor has a very nice lounge with food service as well. I would love to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank latinmon
There are newer reviews for Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Radisson Royal Ukraine in Moscow is a perfect place in the middle of Moscow.
The service is excellent and the staff is very customer oriented.The standard rooms are small, but chic, furnished in the "belle epoque" style, with beautiful paintings on the wall, with city view towards Naberezhnaya and Moscow City Business Center, with posch toiletry"Penhaligon's", TV with wide variety of channels, the 24 hours room service.
The breakfast is great, in Russian style: caviar, salmon, pastry, mushrooms, yougurts, sausages,salads, cakes , fresh juices, pancakes, etc.Very difficult to make a choice, as everything is delicios.
The hotel has a decent spa with excellent swimming pool, sauna, gym, steam room, which is a perfect relaxation after a busy day.
There is an Iranian restaurant "Farsi" on the third floor, but can't comment as didn't had any meal there, however it looked quite fancy.
Shopaholics can be also happy, as there are plenty of brand shops in the hotel.
I strongly recommend this hotel. It's more a business hotel, but can be a great choice for a fancy holiday in Moscow.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with a group of colleague. It turned out to be one of the most impressive hotels that I have stayed in.

From check-in to check-out everything went smooth. The moment you enter, you get the feel of entering in a grand property. The room was not huge but very beautifully decorated. A good choice of TV channels. Top class bath room amenities. However, unlike new hotels, bath room did not have a rain shower. Wifi was free in the room and worked fast.

The hotel is situated in one of the historic seven buildings constructed by Stalin. I don't know when was this hotel decorated/furnished but it is so well maintained that you feel it has been done very recently.

Breakfast was excellent. Where else in the world do you get Caviar and Champagne in breakfast! I used the lobby bar once and the service was excellent.

There is a very large model of Kremlin and Red Square in the lobby. It is really awesome and beautiful to watch.

The only awkward feeling that I got in this hotel was about the staff at the Entrance Door. They were simply flat faced uniformed people who looked more like KGB agents than hotel staff. They either looked unconcerned about you or looked like scannig your body with their stare whenever you entered. This may have been done to give a feel of the old Russian era however I think this must be changed. A smiling doorman will make a lot of difference.

The hotel is located in a posh area. River Moscow flows besides the hotel and they have their own boat for river cruise - of course you have to pay for it separately. There is a good grocery store just besides the hotel. A shopping mall (some call it "Euro Mall" in English) is 10 minutes walk from hotel. There is a metro station near this mall.

To sum it up, despite some reservations, I found this hotel very impressive and gandeur. Although it is pricey but the overall impression/feel that you get in return makes it worthy of its price. Given that hotels in moscow are expensive, you must try this hotel if you get a good deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get better view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2012

It is very hard to compare the Radisson (nee Hotel Ukraina) to any other place you've been. It comes very close to being an over-the-top theme park, combining the worst of Stalinist and modern Russian pretension. The young, absurdly-uniformed staff are walking smiley-face emoticons. They couldn't be nicer, but repeat upbeat greetings as though they are mechanical cast members at a Disney World. The restaurants are out of place. Lunch was tasty, but overpriced at the cavernous Persian banquet hall. There were 15 staff, none with understanable English, but exactly 3 guests. Trying to get a taxi was a reminder one is still in Russia. You need a middle man; the system is opaque and the cab arrives late.

But this hotel has so many saving graces. The lobby "diorama" of Moscow is totally fascinating, as showpiece and conversation piece unequaled at any hotel I've seen before. The breakfast is also in a class by itself. The acres of very high quality food includes caviar, fresh ripe friuts (in October) and wonderful local specialties, flavors and choices. The Scandinavian branding and management brings some of the pompous tendencies under control. The rooms are clean and well decorated; the bathrooms are functional as well as attractive; there is plenty of closet space.

Beware of the table top goodies. Lifting even one of them from the holding tray results in an automatic $30 charge to the room, even if you put it back seconds later. You have to check your bill on checkout and reverse the charge (though they willingly did so).

Finally, the swimming pool is truly excellent. 50 meter lanes, perfect temperature; clear water; robes and multiple towels provided. Lap-swimmer's and poolside dawdler's paradise.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Xamb
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel has been recently refurbished and we have had a great business suite, everything impeccably clean and new. The architect wanted to give you the feeling to live in an old aristocratic palace, which is not a style for everybody and I personally prefer more cooler design but since there were not too many frills and everything was functional, it was OK. The location is in fact 3-4 km far away from the city centre but it is accesible by trolleybus nr. 44 or 6 or metro from the station Kievskaya if you like to mingle with locals, taxi works as well but it is not such a thrill to go to the city by taxi....so far so good. But for me - the most disapointing experience - was to watch the staff at the breakfast buffet...they were looking so unhappy, no smile whatsoever and they were rather chating to each other than serving customers. The waiters in the Farsi restaurant on the 3rd floor (Iranian restaurant with fabulous food) were just a litlle bit better then the breakfast waiters. I do not know what is wrong with you guys in Moscow...the lavish furniture on one hand and the poor staff on the other hand?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Marc1470,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow.
We are of course happy to learn that your enjoyed our newly refurbished hotel product. We train all our staff constantly. We have recently welcomed a group of new young hotel students as part of our breakfast team. Their first steps in service can come forward as nervous and uneasy, despite our thorough introductory trainings. Relentlessly we coach while on-the-job and are doing our best to minimize the nuisance this should give our guests. However, I will refer to your remarks on this forum, at my next meeting with our breakfast team.
I sincerely hope that your experience will not deter from visiting our hotel again, next time you are in Moscow. Please contact me directly for you next booking at Radisson Royal Hotel.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here during an overnight stop in Moscow. Arriving at the wrong hotel initially after an overnight flight (the Radisson down the road), being told to take a taxi as it was too far to walk annoyed me given that I paid 500 rubles for a 2 minute taxi ride - a ride that would have been easier to walk.

The staff at the Radisson Royal were incredibly rude at the check-in desk, back-chatting as I walked off. Discourteous and smug. The hotel however was fantastic. The room was perfection and the bed being one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I ordered room service too for my evening meal and that was second to none.

I appreciate that maybe their mannerisms are native, however working in an international hotel means that guests expect western standards from staff.

Room Tip: Get the superior room - well worth the extra money with a view over the river.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank damoritz
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear damoritz,
Thank you for taking time to review the Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow.
I am glad to notice that you liked our hotel, found our rooms and beds to your liking and you enjoyed the room service dinner.
No doubt that I am sadden to read your experience at check-in. This is of course not how we train our staff and does not reflect the general feedback we get from our guests.
I will personally investigate who did your check-in and ensure that adequate training and coaching is implemented.
I hope to be able to meet you in person next time you visit Moscow and our hotel. Please contact me directly for your next booking.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The location is very beautifull, great view, decorated with tipically russian kitch style (you ll see many hotels like this in Moscow).

The room was nice (stayed in standard room) quite big and clean. Had little issue with the lights but they fixed it quickly.

Worth mentioning the restorants: Buono - just exceptionnal! Tatler and Farsi - very good!
And the gym - with live DJ!

That s all that I liked in this hotel, all related to business was desapointning.
The lobby - after 10am overcrowded and over smoked
Business center - nice library, but no printing or scanning facilities (only via reception !!??)
Limited parking, if you expect visitors they ll stragle in the evening.
Never eat at the lobby - only tea! I was ill after a lunch there.
Executive floor - big desaster! It looked very kitch with no business facilities, the reception girls were supposed to check what price could they offer me and never came back to me.
Wi-Fi was terrible - you have to reinput your password every 30seconds!

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room, since you're aloud to smoke everywhere in this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear 99Lili,
Thank you for your feedback on your last stay with us. We are happy to note that you generally enjoyed the hotel and our facilities.
Our Lobby Bar is very popular and due to its success it easily fills up from early in the day. We have all summer been working on an extension of the area and has since a week now opened a new section, doubling the Lobby Bar size.
Our Library offers laptops station to the use of our guests, but to keep the noise level to a minimum (it is a library) we have chosen not to have printers or scanners in the library itself, but at the Business Center Reception a few meters away.
We are the only hotel in Moscow to offer extensive free parking in front of the hotel. Due to our many visitors to the hotel, our conference facilities and our many restaurants, we are currently constructing an underground parking right in front of the hotel, giving our guests approx. an additional 500 parking spaces. We will be the hotel in Moscow who by far offers the largest and most convenient parking facilities.
I am disturbed to read that the reception staff at the Executive Floor did not come back to you with a price. I will follow-up with them. Please let me know if I can help you directly.
Our Wi-Fi is free for all guests – It should only need to input password every 24 Hour during stay. I will check with our IT department what could have happened.
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I hope to be able to welcome you back next time you are in Moscow.