“Overpriced and still under construction”

Sheraton Palace Hotel Moscow
Ranked #19 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton Moscow the day after it reopened. The hotel is still really under contruction, as a result all you can hear is constant drilling. As soon as I got to my room, I turned the TV on and there was an apology for the noise, not a good start.
The rooms are very basic and somewhat dated, they haven't been touched during the renovation. There is no reception yet, just an improvised desk by the lifts behind which staff fight for space. The rooms were absolutely sauna-like. I turned off the heating completely and it was still way too hot, as a result I couldn't sleep. So I decided to open the windows for some fresh air but the city is way too noisy so I couldn't sleep anyway. I think all this would have been acceptable if the rates had been reduced as a result of the hotel not being finished but they weren't so I am quite unhappy about this experience.

Breakfast was good but at 1,050 ruples, it was overpriced. The staff were as helpful as you could expect in such a noisy and messy environment where pretty much everything still needs to be finished.

At check out my colleague somehow had to pay 2,000 ruples more than me even though we had neighbouring rooms and we booked from the same corporate agent. The hotel staff refused to reduce the rate.

The only positive thing I have to say about this hotel is the central location, but I wouldn't be rushing back!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank Jukkaire

Reviewed December 9, 2007

The Sheraton in Moscow is an ideal place on business.

The hotel is clean and efficient.

The staff is very professional and helpful.

The hotel is not cheap and I would say that the price payed does not reflect the overall quality, but in Moscow you are expected to pay sky high rates.

The city is amazing, I had heard to much of the place, but once I got there is was not as bad, actually it is really beautiful Royal City and a master piece to humanity.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Merhba
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Moscow has many excellent hotels to choose from however one of the best value for money hotels is the Sheraton.

The rooms are clean, provide plenty of space, and have all of the ammenities you would expect (including wireless internet access). A cash machine is available in the hotel to exchange USD or withdraw money with your bank card.

The location is not too far from Red Square (30 or 40 minute walk), and there are many good places to eat within 5 to 15 minutes walk.

The only negative is that the bar is undergoing renovations but this is only a temporary inconvenience.

The Sheraton is much better value than the Marriott Grand Hotel down the street (why pay so much more ?) and I highly recommend it for your next journey to Moscow.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Indiana_James
Reviewed August 15, 2007

My eight-year-old son and I stayed at the Moscow Sheraton for two nights and were very content. Our room was booked with points and appeared to be a standard American business hotel room (happily with two twin beds). Breakfast was expen$ive, but my son's was free -- and it was a spectacular spread (comparable to all of the five-star hotels I've stayed at in Moscow and St. Petersburg -- even caviar and champagne ... not clear who wants them at 8 a.m.?). Most welcome was a carafe of American coffee on the table, rather than having to request a second cup (as I had to at both the other high-end hotels we stayed at in Russia).

The location was central (two blocks from a metro station) and there seemed to be some parking outside for pick-ups and drop-offs. The lobby and decor were unmemorable, but the staff was pleasant. All the doormen and the breakfast attendants were very welcoming to my son. The hotel felt very secure, but any security was unobtrusive.

We struck up a conversation with a visiting UK businessman who makes it his base for frequent trips to Moscow. He pointed out a number of "regulars," so, presumably, our generally positive experience is shared by others.

Our only negative impression -- which has been reported before about the hotel (thanks, earlier Trip Advisors!) was the smell of stale cigarette smoke.

3  Thank GoingGoingAlmostGONE
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Went to Moscow and St. Pete on way to Mongolia. While in St. Pete lost my visa but was able to take train back to Moscow. Stayed at Sheraton for 4 days. They helped me get a new visa and was very calm when I was not.

I am a Plat and used my points for 1/2 price rooms and got upgraded to club level.

While the hotel rooms are small by US standards they are the same to what you get in Amsterdam or Oslo. They do provide all the usual amenities (phone, TV, radio, clock).

Very nice lounge and the hotel is close to the subway system.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ewjnews
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We were kind of nervous when the ranking of this hotel dropped like Katie Couric's ratings right before our trip, but we had no problem. We found the staff to be kind and spoke excellent English. The concierge was very helpful in giving us directions and booking tours for us. Plus we thought the room was big and clean. I just don't know what all the fuss was about.

If you are looking for a good meal, eat at Cafe Pushkin. Its kind of pricey (the nicest restaurant in Moscow), but we went for lunch and it wasn't too bad. Its a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank hogs12
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We chose the Sheraton Palace because we got a free room with points. We stayed on the Club floor so we had access to the Club floor amenities, including free breakfast, snacks, drinks and newspaper. Overall we had an "ok" experience.

On the positive side, the location is pretty good, the Club floor amenities were generous and the staff was extremely helpful.

On the negative side, the rooms are miniscule - we could barely move. (They may want to rearrange the funiture and move everything other than the bed and side tables out!) The bathroom, although very clean, was super tiny.

While I don't know how much the hotel room price is (we used points as I said), and I know that Moscow hotels are outrageously expensive, but I would really shop around before I would settle on the Sheraton.

• Stayed: May 2007