“Very good hotel in the city centre”
Review of Hotel Savoy Moscow

Hotel Savoy Moscow
Ranked #199 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed in the Savoy in Moscow for three nights during the athletics world championships. In total we booked three rooms. One of them was placed at a corner of the hotel and included a very nice balcony. The rooms (Junior Suite) were big enough and clean, also the bathroom is very big. In the bathroom there is no shower but just a bath with no shower curtain. The hotel is situated in the city centre not far away from the red square, the Kreml and other great places for enjoying the nighlife. The breakfast buffet is great and opened until 11 AM.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank runner2003
Tatiana D, Директор по продажам at Hotel Savoy Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

We greatly appreciate your warm and kind comments on your stay at the Hotel.
We are happy to take this opportunity and to thank you for being our guest. We would like to assure you that we will go on doing our outmost to serve the guests according to the international standards and Russian hospitality.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Savoy Moscow

Reviewed September 17, 2013

First time I could stay only one night. Was my first business trip in Russia and was scared by everything. Until I checked in this gorgeous place at 3 in the night and felt well welcomed in the Russian dream. Magnificent white corridors, sumptuous restaurant rooms (although I did not like the food, but I am picky and anyway I could have spent the morning watching up). Needless to say I go there any time I can. It cost as much as business hotels but is just soon much better!

Room Tip: Weekend rate extremely affordable
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank annapavia

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at the Savoy and were very pleased with our choice. I agree with what has been written before, but wanted to give it another thumbs up. Our room was spacious and quite elegant with a lovely bathroom. After 10 days on a river boat, the bath tub was fabulous!
Our room 406 overlooked the construction on the building next door. With the windows open, there was a certain amount of noise, but then there was also the city noise. With the windows closed, we heard nothing. It seems like much of Moscow is under reconstruction and this was just part of the package.
The breakfast buffet in the opulent dining room was fairly standard Russian fare, but nicely presented with delicious breads and croissants.
I would stay there again any time. The location allowed us to walk or use the Metro w/o issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on Rozhdestvenka St. That's the side overlooking the construction.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank felice243

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Firstly the room - it was spacious and very clean. The bathroom was amazing and the simple things such as the provision of items including toothbrush (and paste) and shaving kit was a positive (though we brought our own). The only negative was the opaque window which when opened revealed a barrier (which the pigeons had enjoyed!!) and you had to look up high to see how the weather was doing. Our room was very quiet

Secondly the bar - a lovely room and very relaxing. When I got the bill, I was shocked at the cost which was almost double London prices but it was like that everywhere else so prices were on a par with other places nearby - don't go to Moscow and expect cheap drinks. The barman was very friendly.

Thirdly the reception - before we arrived, reception staff were very helpful in getting information for our visas, and whilst there they were also very friendly and spoke excellent English. The doormen were also very pleasant. Overall it gave a good impression of the hotel.

Fourthly the breakfast - I'd read some negatives on this and yes, if you want cooked then yes. the food is cool but very tasty and there is a wide variety. I also tried other types of breakfast (cold meats, cheese etc) and it was all excellent with nice staff in a beautiful setting. I'd never had (very tasty) cakes for breakfast before. Overall, breakfast was really a positive experience (and I am a fussy eater!).......

.........and it is so very well located a few minutes walk from the efficient Metro and round the corner from the Bolshoi. Red Square is 10-15 minutes for the average walker.

We didn't try the restaurant due to the extent of other poor reviews and there are plenty of places nearby to eat - we didn't want to risk having bad memories of the hotel. Though the reviews of arrogant waiters did not tally with what we saw elsewhere.

Overall, we really liked the hotel. It tries very hard, is spotless, well maintained and the staff we met were very nice and friendly. It isn't 5 star by London standards yet, but we enjoyed our stay (yes, there was no view from the hotel window but we did not go for that).........we liked it and we liked Moscow.......

Room Tip: If you want a view then ask for it and see what happens - I am sure they'd do their best. We we...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John1152013

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel Savoy is incredibly well located - its a short walk from the Bolshoi theatre and the Kremlin.
A beautiful hotel, with clean rooms, helpful reception team (one of the few places in Moscow where we experienced English speakers!)

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Sonki_1

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to give the Savoy 5 stars, but it didn't seem fair to the places I've stayed that have been perfect.

Good Parts:
-Rooms are nice and large, with beautiful furniture, high ceilings, and air conditioning. The bathrooms are large with plenty of counter space
-The location is ideal. Very easy to get to Red Square and The Kremlin.
-Staff are, for the most part, friendlier than the staff I've encountered in other Eastern European hotels.
-Huge buffet breakfast with lots of options. My husband is diabetic, and most buffets don't have low carb options. This one has several.

Room for Improvement:
-The biggest issue I have is that there isn't a single outlet in the room that is by a mirror, except for the one in the bathroom that is dedicated to electric shavers. This made it impossible for my to flat iron or curl my hair, which is a pretty necessary part of getting ready for me. This definitely seems to be a common problem in Europe, but the nicer hotels have placed mirrors by desks, where there are outlets. I can only assume there's some sort of code requirement that prohibits outlets in bathrooms near sinks. A real shame since a dry sink is a perfect resting spot for a hot iron (won't roll off the counter, won't damage the sink). Still, a mirror near an outlet seems like such an easy fix! Maybe European women have hands and scalps that cannot be burned, so they don't need to see what they're doing?
-Napkins only appeared at breakfast one of the 4 days we were there. The rest of the time it was just those tiny little paper cocktail napkins, like you get under your coffee cup. Fine for a coffee shop, but a nice hotel should have real napkins.
-There was one day when the housekeeping overlooked the towel restocking, and my husband and I returned at night to one bath towel instead if two, so I just dried myself with hand towels, which there were plenty of. I didn't bother to call downstairs, as I was already finished showering when I discovered the issue. They likely would have brought another towel if I had asked.
-Smoking is allowed in the lobby and bar. I realize this appears to be a cultural issue. Nearly everyone in Russia seems to smoke. For me, it rendered the lobby and bar area totally unusable.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank KittycatParty

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Very good hotel walking distance to Kremlin. I've read other reviews mentioning the construction noise and I was on teh 4th floor directly accross from the construction site and I barely noticed the noise even though construction was happening during the day (never at night). Only downside was that there was really zero view as the rooms facing the site will only look at the site. Solid 4 star hotel, traditional russian/european styling. Highly recommended. Front desk staff all spoke English well and were extremely helpful with tips/advice for the area.

Nit picking, because it is a very good hotel, but be aware, the in-lobby bar is nice, but at least while I was there, very dead so good to catch a drink, but not a 4/5 star hotel trendy bar hangout.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends