“Awesome location!!!”

Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

The National hotel is really great hotel. The best is its location, you can get to the Red square just cross the road. All the main monuments are reachable by walking. Under promenade in front of hotel is hidden huge shopping centre from -1 down to -3. floor.

Hotel is nice furnished and clean. Room we had was cosy and silent, bed amazing comfortable, just bathroom could be bigger.Their staff is really friendly, helpfull and great English speaking. I expected rude and loudly speaking Russians everywhere, but in three days we met maybe one like that. :-)

I really like the historical russian atmosphere of the hotel. Really worth for price!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear guest,

I appreciate your taking the time to post such positive comments. It’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy their staying with us and in Moscow in general.

It’s a pleasure for me to know that you liked our historical style and found our rooms comfortable and cozy.

Let me thank you for your nice words about our staff.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

There are newer reviews for Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is one of the the most expensive hotels in Moscow but it is the only one situated next door to the Kremlin. This is the why we stayed here. We reasoned that we would probably visit Moscow only once so the central location and views were worth the extra expense.

They offer some rooms with Kremlin views and without. We chose a studio w/o the Kremlin view and would probably do so again. We had front row seating at breakfast each morning, at the restaurant and everytime we walked outside. It was more than sufficient given the price difference between the two studio types. However, do ask to see your room prior to finishing the check in process. Our room was so tiny I thought they had made an error and assigned us a classic room. Unfortunately they had not and I trekked back to reception to ask for another room. They were gracious and sent me off with a valet to view 5 different studios. The others all varied in size based on where they were situated. In the end, I chose a studio that was more than double the size of the first one and with a separate alcove dressing room. If they were not willing to change our room, our stay would not have been pleasant at all given there were three of us and we had requested the extra cot.

Overall the hotel is clean and service is good with most of the staff speaking English which is very helpful after a long day translating signs written in the Cyrillic alphabet. We were able to walk to most sites. Some museums on the other side of the river were a bit far but a short metro ride without having to transfer (hint: always know the number of metro stops to your destination before boarding). Breakfast was buffet style with hot and cold selecions along with sparkling wine if you desired. The coffee could have been better, i.e. offer expresso, but that would be my only suggestion.

Recommended? Yes for the location alone.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before completing your check in process. All rooms are different i.e. studios c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My recent stay gave me a lot of positive feelings: I slept like a baby almost on the Red Square, the standard (the term is not really applicable to such hotels) room was large, internet was free and fast, nobody disturbed me until late check out (as gold member), signature cocktail was good at 2 am with friendly service (in Moscow!). The hotel is old! I valued absence of sleeky-fricky high tech low function staff. Guests familiar with Russian history would see in many places in the hotel reminiscence of some horrible or nice times in Soviet Russia. Will I stay there again? Yes, until the hotel goes under renovation. Will hurry up...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for such a nice review

I’ m very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us. Let me thank you for your high mark of our historical peculiarity and for letting me know how impressed you were with the service and quality of our Luxury Collection Beds.

We will be glad to see you again at National!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Having stayed at a lot of clinical business hotels around the world I now enjoy hotels with quality, character and charm when visiting for pleasure. This hotel has all three qualities plus history in large quantities.

Food and beverages are expensive but I had the best chicken Kiev ever for lunch in the bar.

No better location right in the middle of Moscow. I didn't pay extra for a room with a view but we sat in the breakfast room each morning and looked out the big windows at the Kremlin for free.

The room was a good size and very sound proof. The bed an pillows were very comfortable, but I don't like showers over baths or pedestal vanities with no bench space for anything. The bathroom scales were very forgiving.

From reading previous tripadvisor reports I expected the people at the hotel & in Moscow to be rude and unfriendly but I didn't find this to be the case at all. Except one stupid women who rammed me from behind with her trolley at the airport. Perhaps starting with a smile helps.

If you can handle the cost I encourage you to stay at this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GrantHay

Dear guest,

First of all let me thank you for choosing Hotel National for living in Moscow and for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. I am very glad that the qualities of the hotel you value the most including the sleeping facilities, you met at our place.

Guest service and care are amongst our highest priorities and it always gratifying to receive such praise.

We really appreciate your paying attention to quality dishes in our restaurants. It’s an honor for us to hear that some dishes served here were the best of those that you tried!

It’s very important for us that you found Moscow safe and Russian people friendly.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I was on a business +leisure trip which involved many cities and hotels and i booked national hotel through booking.com. I never got a confirmation email and I emailed national hotel couple times to confirm my email, but when I did not receive any email I thought there is no booking and i booked on their site. I even upgraded to Kremlin which increased my cost to 300 USD per night. When i arrived to hotel they told me i have 2 reservations and they can't cancel the first one because it is non-refundable. They really did not care about my previous inquiries or me being in their current hotel staying and paying 300 USD.Reservation manager simply wanted me to charge double for no reason. Then first night 500 USD stolen from my room. I checked-in around 4 pm and left in a hurry. I realized i left my 500 USD on my bed and went back to my room. I could not find my money and I did not understand why, because it was right there and i counted money before i left. I realized somebody came in to my room, left cookies etc..and took away my money. Hotel management did not do anything about it..It is my mistake not to put money in safe box, but in this kind of hotel you'd expect you are safe, apparently not

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank travelmaniacAZ
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel National and for taking the time to write you review.
I am sorry to hear of your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies. I would welcome the opportunity to contact you directly to discuss this situation.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I'll be short and to the point. This is an old hotel, with old and stuffy furniture and decor. So it gets 0 points for coolness or hip factor. However, the rooms are clean, the service is good, and the food is ok. But what really makes this place special is the location. Right smack in the center of moscow, across the street from the kremlin and red square, and a few steps to great restaurants and shopping.

I booked 3 nights here sight unseen, and was happy with the results.

Bottom line is for the money, the hotel is ok, but the location makes it worth it!

Safe travels.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the kremlin have a great view, but noise. Rooms on the other side are the opposite.. so...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed 8 days here as tourists visiting Russia. We realized we would struggle with Cyrillic and so selected a location from which we could see most of the main sites on foot. We found out the hard way when we got out in the suburbs that we could not read Cyrillic street names so it was a right decision.

The Hotel National is one of three hotels in very close proximity to the Red Square ( The Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons being the other two) but guests here definitely have the best view of this area. We selected the breakfast option and the view from the breakfast room each morning is spectacular. We also found the breakfast good . However you need to be aware that there are two rooms for the buffet and you can easily miss the main room if you don't look for it. Also there is a note on your table which says the kitchen will cook eggs for you if you ask which they do very well so you can combine them with food from the main buffet room such as bacon, mushrooms etc

We found it a great location for a number of reasons.
First it was only about 5 to 10 minutes walk to many significant sites such as Red Square, Saint Basils, Gum Department Store, The Kremlin, The Bolshoi Ballet plus others
Second the Red Line Subway is almost outside the front door and you can connect by walking underground to the Green and Blue lines which gives you very good transportation options.

We had a Classic room and found it more than adequate with a separate area for keeping clothes and cases. It was double glazed and we slept very well despite being at the main intersection of two of the key roads in Moscow there was virtually no noise in our room

Internet is very good but probably not secure .

Housekeeping and Maintenance of our room was exceptional .

We only ate in the bar area a couple of times and food was very good but service seemed a bit slow.

We only speak English so it was natural that staff who spoke Russian or had a little English struggled to understand what we wanted at times. However we found that where staff spoke English well they always attended to our needs promptly and efficiently. Generally these people wear grey clothing but some other staff speak excellent English. The trick is if you get no response from staff it because they don't understand you and to ask the people in grey

We did not eat in the hotel restaurants so cant comment on these. There are plenty of food areas over at Gum and directly across the road in an underground shopping mall beneath a glass dome. As tourists we were interested in sight seeing not a food experience.

We did find food generally more expensive in Russia but as this was a prime tourist area that may have been a contributing factor.

We really enjoyed our stay here and as seniors got a discount which is worth taking into account if you fit into that category. Its also worth in advance becoming a Starwood Preferred Guest as you then get a 15% discount on bar food.

Some people might find it a bit more expensive but the location has many benefits that offset that.

Room Tip: We had a room on floor 3 at the rear of the Hotel and it was great. I know people recommend the Krem...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple