“Very Good, BUT Not 5 Stas”

Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #18 of 321 Hotels in Moscow
London, UK
“Very Good, BUT Not 5 Stas”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The National is a very nice Hotel but I cannot give it five stars.

The location is excellent; just 5 minutes walk from the Red Square/Kremlin/Bolshoi/GUM. There is also a bank next door with ATM. There are three adjoining metro stations nearby. The Metro is cheap, efficient, but was extremely confusing for the non-Russian speaker. However it was worth the effort to persevere. (Tip: use a metro map with the Cyrillic station names, a translated one is no use at all).

Firstly I must say that I paid a good rate by NOT using the hotels web site, paying in-full, in advance and NOT including breakfast.

The reception staff, doorman and bell boy were welcoming.

I had a standard non-smoking room on floor 4 (non-smoking), which has a small seating area was neither big nor small – but perfectly adequate. However the wardrobe was ridiculously small if you have more than a few days clothes. I did not pay for a Kremlin view, but had a partial view of the street. The bed was very large (wide) and comfortable, the linen and towels of a high quality. There was a shower/bath duo which worked well. However the sink was crowded with quality bath products, hairdryer, toothbrush glasses etc. They need to add some shelves.

Smoke could sometimes be smelt in the corridor and occasionally in our room. Why?

Robes, slippers and copious bottle water was provided daily. There was a large LCD TV, Safe and DVD player, trouser press, mini bar (expensive of course). A small selection of DVD’s could be borrowed. However I suggest they increase the size of the Library. (Gorky Park was not available!) The air con was not very effective at cooling the room, but in April I did not need it too much.

A buffet Breakfast is served in a room on the 2nd floor, with an attractive Kremlin view; however it costs around £32 per head (at the present exchange rates). Even when included in the room rate there is often little saving, if any. Lighter choices are served in the bar or alternatively go to McCafe down the road and pay a fraction of the cost for a coffee in china and croissant, muffin, toasted sandwich etc.

Room service was very expensive, but they will bring you a kettle if you simply ask. It’s in hidden in the small print and not provided as standard. I asked for this a little too late to really benefit.

The Hotel has a glass conservator which was the bar Alexandrovsky. It served bar-food and drinks. A man often played piano. Unfortunately smoking was allowed in it and it was always well used by the smokers. There was a small side room which was non-smoking, but you lost the atmosphere of the room. The waitresses also seemed to overlook this room.

There was no shop, but a fitness/beauty centre, with pool.

I arrived at the hotel at 23.30 on a Monday via Easyjet/Areo-Express train. I was very pleased to still be able to buy a freshly made sandwich and a drink in the bar. Food in Moscow is very expensive (it often costs more than London). A sandwich and a drink can cost as much as a meal in other cities in the world.

Another evening I dined earlier in the bar. The food (a basic meal: chicken and rice) took almost an hour to arrive and was served COLD. The bar did not even appear crowded at the time. It wa simply re-heated (more delay) - not what I expect from a luxury hotel.

People claim the Concierge was very good. However I saw three desks and only ever one member of staff. There was always a queue to see her and I only ounce had time to wait to see her for advice. What use is a service that I cannot easily access?

All Hotel staff spoke some English although not all were very fluent. However I speak no Russian at all, so I admire their linguistic skills, even if basic. (Explaining that you want milk for tea is often a struggle).

There is a lovely restaurant attached to the which provided a casual ambience with some good live music (piano/singer). The food was excellent, but the service was a little casual. The cost for two persons, three courses, with wine would probably top £100. (The nearby Metropol Hotel has a similarly priced restaurant, with a more formal atmosphere, with more attentive service. Although some may find it too formal.)

If you join the ‘Starwood Preferred Guest’ scheme, (free) you get 15% of the bar food, although I joined too late to really benefit. (They told me this after the cold meal - so no discount on that one).

Moscow is safe and friendly city for all tourists. The Ukraine situation had NO bearing on my tourist experience. The number of designer-clothes shops nearby (often underground) was quite surprising. Cultural options, such as museums, art galleries, were abundant.

The very Smokey Bar Alexandrovsky, poor bar-meal and expensive breakfast is the main reason I have not awarded this Hotel five stars.

Room Tip: There is a whole range of rooms with a range rates. Shop around - check the rates with and without b...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheLondonGuy
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay with us and for such a detailed review.

This is very important for us that you found Moscow to be safe and tourist friendly city.

I’m also pleased that you enjoyed your room, the hotel location and view from the breakfast hall.

I would like to offer my sincerely apologies for the disappointment you have expressed regarding the service you received in the bar. Please be assured that I have reviewed the issues raised with our Food and Beverage Manager to avoid such situations in the future.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again at Hotel National!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
banff
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The hotel was well appointed with classic rooms with a modern flare. The location is unbeatabele being right across from the Red Square. The service was the one thing this hotel is lacking, but we found this throughtout most of the country. There was no one to assist us with our luggage when entering the hotel. When leaving the hotel the bellmen were resistant to helping us out of the hotel. This is not what i would of expected out of a Luxury Collection hotel .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marina M, Генеральный директор at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We appreciate your compliments.

I was really disappointed to learn of the issue encountered with some of our staff.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

At Hotel National we strive to ensure that every guest has an exceptional experience and every day we do our best to create pleasant memories.

I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel again!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We spent three nights at Hotel National a few months ago and had a wonderful stay. The location is perfect - you could not be any closer to the Red Square & Kremlin and it is a few steps to several metro lines.
The rooms were very comfortable and the hot tub/fitness room was nice after long days of exploring Moscow.
The staff are wonderful and we didn't have any issues with language barriers during our stay with them.
I highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and for the time to share your comments with us.

Your opinion is very valuable for us, as it helps us meet all your expectations.

We will be glad to see you again in Hotel National!
Reviewed April 7, 2014

It's great to be able to see the Red Square from your window! The rooms might appear a bit dated but I guess that's it's charm. The staff are very kind and most speak good English. The room service is really good and the food tasty! Nonetheless, this is a pricey hotel, even for all of it's luxury is rather overpriced.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel National and for taking the time to share your impressions with us.

We are grateful for your compliments!

Please be assured that for your next visit we will do our utmost to provide you with a room suitable to all your needs.

I hope that you will enjoy many more delightful stays with Hotel National!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I spend 1 night at Hotel National and it was absolutely fantastic.
Every aspect of the hotel is first class and the historical significance of the hotel greatly adds to the experience. I stayed here for 1 night before transferring to the Hotel Ukrania/Raddison Royal in order to experience both a imperial Russian hotel but also a soviet style hotel. This hotel really adds to a holiday in Moscow as you feel like your in Russia when in the hotel. The style and ambience of the hotel is unique to Moscow. Staying at a modern hotel like the Sheraton wouldn't compare. You feel like your staying in history at this hotel. From the antique elevator to the historic grand staircase to the fantastic collection of art in the hall ways to the antiques in the hotel room it is breathtaking. Walking to your room feels like walking through a museum with beautiful Russia paintings along the corridors.

Location:
This is defiantly the best located hotel in Moscow. Everything is in walking distance. You are just seconds from St Basils Cathedral, the Red Square and GUM department store. It is perfect as you can quickly head over to the kremlin to get your tickets when the office opens then go back to your hotel and have breakfast.
In the vicinity of the hotel are numerous restaurants. The hotels wonderful concierge were able to recommended as few within walking distance and also give accurate and detailed directions. Also this is probably the best concierge I have every dealt with. They new everything about Moscow, spoke fantastic English and gave clean answers to every question by heart.

Check-in:
Efficient and personal.

Hotel Areas:
Clean and wonderfully decorated.

Breakfast:
I had a continental breakfast in the Bar Alexandrovsky. This was a great setting with a good selection of well priced breakfast items and good espresso.

Room:
Stayed in a classic room. The room was very well appointed with beautiful Russian antiques and a one of the best beds I have slept in. For a standard room the size is very large with a great sitting area, it felt more like a junior suite. Turn down service was included.
The bathroom was small but very clean but done in marble with the very exclusive Penhaligons amenities!

Price:
I received an amazing price that was too good to be true, through Webjet at $180 a night!

If travelling to Moscow I would highly recommend staying at this hotel but I would also combine with with a stay at the Hotel Ukrania/Radisson Royal.

Room Tip: It doesn't get better than a Kremlin view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your stay at Hotel National and for taking the time to write such a detailed review about all the advantages of your experience.

We highly appreciate it and are pleased to hear that you liked everything indeed.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 23, 2014

You have the best view of the city (Red square). Next to the Duma (Russian parlement) and close to the MGU (the dollarshop during the Sovjet time). Located in the heart of the city, close to the undergrond shoppin center,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your compliments!

We look forward to welcoming you in Moscow again soon,

Warmest regards,

Marina Migalenko
Shrewsbury
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 2 nights at the National. The location is superb but what sets it apart from other 5* hotels on Moscow is the ambience. So cool but at the same time every need is catered for. Don't stress too much re a room view. The hotel is so close to Red Square you don't need to worry. Have stayed at other 5* hotels in Moscow but the National is my favourite! Food is great and the staff are so helpful. Enjoy.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Seonaidh H
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a nice review of your experience at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had a marvellous stay with us and I have no doubt that the restaurant manager will be happy to hear you enjoyed our food.

I am pleased to know you have appreciated our service and found the staff helpful assisting with all your requests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel National in the future.

Kind regards,