“Passing through a metal detector on arrival isn't the best experience”

Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #18 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Firstly, it took forever to get to the hotel from the airport and having to go through security at the entrance to the lobby made me feel uncomfortable. Service? What service. Location? Excellent.
Food and Beverage. There's some great restaurants close by. Just ask the Concierge. Breakfast was average.

*BE CAREFUL* One morning I headed out for a run and just as I turned the corner I noticed a man walking in front of me carrying a package. He dropped what seemed to be a huge wad of money and before I could say anything, someone ran up and grabbed the money then approached me and said "come with me and I'll split this. It must be $10,000.00" I didn't have a chance to say anything when I heard the man who was walking in front of me yell "Police, Police" Help" He ran towards me and I ran as fast as I could back to the hotel advising the concierge of what just happened. This, the concierge said was something that's common as they try to make you an accessory and force you to pay them so they don't call the Police. This incident and the overall service mentality made me not want to visit Russia again. Oh, and of course the metal detectors. Did I mention that.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Definitly one of the best hotels that I have stayed in in Europe where, generally speaking, most hotels have forgotten the part where they are to aid a traveller in his needs and not just provide clean sleeping ans showering facilities.
All the staff of the National did their absolute best to help out in every way but I really must mention particularly Maria and Julia at the concierge who, daily, organised everything I needed without fuss and with admirable efficiency!
Really a hotel I shall definitly return to when I am in the area and one that I have no hesitation in highly rcomending.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to share here your feedback. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and consider us one of the best hotel in Europe.

I am so pleased to hear that you found the service to be above and beyond, and am so glad our Concierge team could be so helpful in tracking down your sweater. I will be sure to share your review with them.

Thank you again for the kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in Moscow at Hotel National in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for two nights and had a lovely time. The room was so comfortable but so hot but we found this to be the case everywhere. Excellent bed and bathroom with top quality toiletries. Lovely lounge to sit and coffee and drinks. Concierge service was so good, suggesting places to eat and best value taxis etc. would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our concierge professional and the rooms comfortable.

Thank you again for your post and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Moscow.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed two nights in a upgraded room overlooking the Kremlin, which was very picturesque at night. The location for downtown touring could not be better. We had room service the first night which was good. We tried the breakfast buffet which was OK. We also had dinner in the main dining room and it was reaonably good. I would recommend this hotel for tourist or business guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am delighted to read how much you appreciated the service and how highly you enjoyed the experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2014

To put things into perspective, and it is no secret, that 5 star hotel prices drop dramatically at the weekend. They do in London and New York too. My wife and I have had the National on our list to visit due to good reviews and knowing where the hotel is in the first place, having walked past it with admiring eyes wishing to stay there one day. We stayed at the National at the weekend. Having stayed at such hotels as the Peking, Metropol, Sovietskayya and Hilton, we enjoy the comparison and personally rate each hotel.

Its first class in many ways. The rooms are superb, and of the quality I have seen very very rarely. Lesser hotels would describe a standard room as a suite. Not the National. The "standard" room we stayed in for the first night had a lobby area where you could store luggage with a beautifully appointed bathroom on the other side of the lobby. The bedroom had a sofa and sitting area which was spacious and beautifully decorated. The bed was superb, huge and comfortable.

The hotel location is about as good as you can get, as it is at the base of Tsverskaya and that street is lined with restaurants and bars up to Pushkinskaya and beyond. This makes it ideal for exploring the very good Moscow restaurants.

Unfortunately at 08:30 the morning of our stay things went wrong. There was major building work outside the hotel. The vibrations were so severe that the bed moved. With admirable efficiency they moved us to an even better room, which had a very large sitting area with sofa, overlooking Tsverskaya Ulitsa.

The swimming pool, sauna and turkish bath on the top floor was of the finest kind anywhere. I love a sauna in the depths of a Russian winter (although it wasnt that cold when we were there) There was a view over the Kremlin from one window, and of the Cathedral of Christ from another window. Immaculately clean and staff were very efficient.

Of particular note was the concierge service. We dealt with Marina. This hotel should congratulate her on her knowledge and common sense, she is a resource that many hotels would wish to have. Her advice regarding transport to and from the airports is of the most reliable type. She is someone to trust.

If I were pushed to compare hotels, I would find Metropol the finer of the two, but it is a fine distinction. A very find distinction indeed. Its like comparing Chelsea football team to Arsenal.

A first class hotel in every respect.

Room Tip: Away from building work.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for sharing with us such kind comments!

I am thrilled to hear how much you appreciated our service, our rooms and especially our concierge Marina. It will be a pleasure to share your comments with the team here, it sounds like you had a truly fabulous time. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and I hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed February 25, 2014

When booking a hotel, we only wanted it to be as close to the center as possible. It was the best one. It could not be closer, because in 1 minute walk away from Red Square.
We liked the service, staff was very polite and helpful. We also liked our room.
Everything is pricey there, especially food and drinks. But the location was perfect!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to our hotel and for taking the time to share with us such a nice review. I am delighted that you were happy with service we provided. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I liked this hotel a lot. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was great.

The inside of the hotel is a little cut-up, with some "historic" sections and some newer construction. The gym was pretty rudimentary, but adequate.

I enjoyed the bar/cafe areas off the lobby, but when I ordered a vodka martini I got a very strange drink - extremely heavy on the vermouth. I sent it back. The bartender came over to find out what the problem was and assured me that he had poured half vermouth and half vodka. I thought that was pretty funny. It is a Starwood hotel, I didn't expect a problem like that. But it was funny and he was trying to figure out what the problem was. I guess if you want a reasonably dry martini in Russia, you just order vodka.

It's not a five star hotel, but it is very nice and a very, very good value. It will be my first choice if I get a chance to return to Moscow.

General travel trip - get a chart that transliterates the Cyrillic alphabet. It would have been helpful in reading signs. For example, I was told to take the Sapsan train to St. Petersburg. But this is written sort of like "CancaH" on signs. If I had been more familiar with the alphabet getting around and ordering in restaurants would have been a little easier.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at the lobby bar, all your comments have already been transferred to the relevant department.

Thank you again, and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Best regards,