“It doesn't get more authentic than this”

Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #18 of 309 Hotels in Moscow
New York City, New York
“It doesn't get more authentic than this”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

If you want to have a true Moscow experience - you have to stay at this landmark hotel. The location is the closest you can have to center. Yes, it's a bit old school (in a charming way), but you have plenty of new in Moscow. If you want the scene - go to Ritz rooftop for drinks right around the corner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nycgirl2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife & I spent a long weekend here recently for our first trip to Moscow. As everyone rightly says the location is fantastic, right on Red Square within easy waling access of the Kremlin, St Basils, The Arbat, the Bolshoi and lots of other great attractions. As we only had a couple of days to see Moscow this, coupled with having a Metro station right on the doorstep made a big difference. We had one of the cheaper rooms, without a Red Square view, but this was still of a high standard and as it was round the back of the hotel it was very quiet. We had great service from the staff, the concierge even taking us outside the hotel to point out some things to us rather than just pointing at a map. There are some very good deals that can be found that make this good value as well as good quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard S
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a fine stay at the hotel in mid October, nice room, nice food, good location - what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

I inadvertently left my light weight fleece at the hotel in my room and realized as I was boarding my plane. I contacted the hotel at my next destination and they confirmed that they found my light fleece are holding it for me. I asked them to send it back to me and offered to pay. They quoted me an exorbitant 95 Euros, which doesn't make any sense as the hotel is in Moscow and I am Canadian. Point is, I let them know that this seemed outrageous for an item that weights 200 grams. I told them I was perfectly happy with regular, slow shipping, but they just stopped communicating with me. I am disappointed with the lack of follow up from this hotel. My fleece has not yet been returned, and I cannot seem to get in contact with anyone. Considering I stayed there for 6 days on a business trip, I would hope that I could at least retrieve an item of clothing at the end of my stay.

I expect more from an SPG hotel for such a simple and surely, often occurring situation.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank teaearlgrey
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest!

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us! It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your room, hotel food and location.

I was upset to read about the difficulties you have experienced trying to get back the sweater that you have left in your room. I know that our Guest Relations Department is in contact with you discussing different ways of sending it to Canada. Unfortunately, Canada is in the list of countries where usual Russian Post does not ship any parcels. However, I am sure that we will find a solution which will be acceptable for you.

Should you need my personal assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@national.ru.

With best regards,
Marina Migalenko.
General Manager.
Bressanone, Italy
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Have a good breakfast with a view on the Kremlin. Take a swim looking over the roofs of Moscow. The only point of criticism is that there are not enough plugs for the modern day traveller at the writing desk. Within easy walking distance is the GUM, the Lenin mausoleum, Red Square and much more. Metro stations are right there as well.
Beware of police barriers in the evening that might require you to walk great distances to get back to your hotel.
Travel to and from the airports is, except if you have a really early morning flight, will take about two hours by taxi. You might want to book your taxi witht the airline (S7 for example) - as efficient as the twxis provided bytxhe hotel but a lot less expensive (but also less nice cars).
Service can be kind of "moscovite" - kind of professionale but slow and lacking the friendliness one might be used to from Europe or the US. Might be due to tge language barrier as well. Not everybody in the hotel speaks English.

Room Tip: A room not facing the Kremlin is much quieter.
Herzelia, Israel
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The National Hotel combines the grandeur of a period property with the high standard of service found at the best Starwood locations.

This is my first visit to Moscow, it was primarily a business trip but the proximity to the Kremlin and the Church of the Accenture gave me a reason to get out and snap a few pictures. Location is amazing, luxurious fittings & furnishings and an onsite top notch restaurant all combine to make this a great stay!

If you're looking for a great hotel in central Moscow, look no further. It really is that nice!

Highly recommended +++++

2 Thank Yharary
London
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Location, location, location. It is just brilliant as it is very central and next to the Metro (tube/ underground).
They serve one of the best breakfasts; also, they have a smoking breakfast room with a fantastic view - overlooking the Kremlin.
The swimming pool is pretty cool.

On a negative note: some rooms have beds with not very comfortable mattresses (old?); also, a spa could do with some better toiletories.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed October 2, 2013

There are many reviews about the great location (which it has) and the tired decor (which there is) but what I cant fathom out is the surly slow service.. There is a lovely - but very smokey -atrium bar. Two evenings I arrived after 9pm to find uncleared tables, a bar packed with empty glasses and worse still both nights I had to wait for 20 minutes (yes 20) to get served and get a drink. This is not acceptable, I dont think I am being precious but really surely a hotel of this reputation and cost can do better. I come to Moscow 6 times a year and it is really time to try other properties.

Room Tip: chose a quiet one and in the newer part
2 Thank rudophUK