“Stunning location... and very Russian”

Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous break in Moscow. The Hotel National was, as it turns out, a very good choice. The location right opposite the Kremlin, and the Northern entrance to Red Square was just perfect. The staff were very helpful,and the hotel itself had a wonderful traditional Russian feel to it, evoking thoughts of previous guests, who include Lenin, and Trotsky.
True, it was a tad expensive (food, drinks etc) but, Moscow is expensive, so you just have to accept that. Saving the best till last though....the bed....without question THE most comfortable bed we have EVER slept in.....but then when the mattress is one and a half foot thick..it's going to be good!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Kremlin, then you can do all your site seeing from the world's most com...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

I have passed on your kind words to my team.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Marina Migalenko

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel for me was the central location almost literally on the red square. The breakfast room overlooks the Gremlin and in nice sun shine it was one of my top 5 hotel breakfast locations. The breakfast itself was varied.

Service was good as you would expect from a luxury collection hotel. However I did not feel the service to be superb.

The downside was the fact that I had no iron in my room although after calling it was delivered in about 15mins. It takes some advance planning though. The room itself was nice. I liked the little touches such as a couch and stool in the bathroom. The bathroom itself had seen much better days.

Overall I enjoyed the stay and the location but the hotel is expensive and better choice might be the Sheraton nearby if you are looking to save some cash.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our first trip to Moscow. My wife joined me on this business trip. We initially stayed at another property, but wanted to move closer to the Kremlin area after the conference I attended concluded. We are so glad we made the move. From check-in to check-out the experience was fantastic. I met my wife at the property at the end of the day, and I had no less than 5 people ask me if I needed help after walking through the door. Most of the staff spoke very good English and were willing to help. The location is tough to beat with easy access from several metro stations and across the street from the Kremlin and GUM. Breakfast overlooks Red Square, and I recommend the buffet! We stayed in a studio room and it was plenty big. The shower was excellent. The wood floors were not an issue as others have posted. The room was clean and in good condition. The turn-down service made coming back to the hotel very welcoming.

The service in the bar and dining room was slow, compared to US standards, but well within the normal pace we found in Moscow. It seems dinner and a show isn't the usual, and with the pace of things in Moscow it seems it is either dinner or a show. But don't confuse slow with poor service. All we interacted with met every request and spoke fluent English. The prices for food and drink were a bit high, but not outrageous for a hotel of this size and location. The area around the hotel was very safe and easy for walking and shopping.

We would gladly stay here again in the future.

1  Thank Donald K
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is my third visit to the Hotel National. I booked a competitive rate using my AAA card. Upon my late arrival I was still offered a complimentary upgrade with my Platinum status. Anna at the front desk was extremely courteous and spoke good English. I saw her the next day and she greeted me as well.

I was given a Junior Suite facing the inner courtyard on the top floor. I have had this same room before - a small vestibule opens to the bedroom. On the opposite side is a small sitting room with bench, desk and television. The bathroom connects to the sitting room. The room was quiet with no outside noise. See my pictures.

My bed had a card saying that they did not change the sheets. They smelled and looked clean so I just went for it. If I wasn't as jet lagged I would have made a stink about it and asked for them to do it again.

The breakfast buffet is pricey (1750 as of March 2013) but a nice splurge. There is a wide variety of meats and warm items, pastries and cold breakfast items. I did not try any of their interpretations of American dishes. The bacon looked pretty sad. But I enjoyed the other items and the view. Although I did not eat my share of 1750 I'd say it's still worth it, at least once.

They also have a business center with 3 computers. I was able to print my boarding pass and surf the web. There is free WIFI but it is too slow for Skype or FaceTime.

The location is ideal for tourists. I stay here while on business in case I have time to do those things. Red Square is across the street, there is a Metro in front of the hotel too. City center attractions are all within walking distance including the GUM and the other underground mall.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is amazing!!!Top location and excellent breakfast!!!The rooms are very clean.Alll atractions of Moscow are on walk distance.The service is great.I choose this hotel every time for my bussiness trip.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I find the prices for the Ararat just too much. So I tried the National, which sits immediately opposite the Kremlin. I guess one is paying for the location...
My junior suite is on the inside courtyard and feels cramped, not looking out towards open space. I cannot seem to get the room temperature right. The bathroom is a (small) joke, with the ubiquitous leak from the shower tap right to the floor (plastic curtain in between). Wifi is not great, certainly slow. The design looks decidedly more genuine than the other guys (ie more Russian/Grand Siècle/Kitsch), I'll give the National that.
But the best is the foodie situation: I tried to get into their upscale restaurant, fully booked out. For a hotel guest it is infuriating. So I resorted to the lobby bar, I'm writing from there. Good luck with the young staff: their idea of a good time is to huddle giggling around the bar area, scientifically ignoring patrons. Ignore the non-smoking area if you want to be served, you'll be ignored: an American woman just bellowed from there something like "is there anyone serving guests right now?"
No table cloth (even paper), the still water I ordered is probably being imported from Krasnoiarsk as i am writing this, and I took immense pleasure, after a good 15mn of waiting, in waving both my arms to attract some attention from the staff, to my fellow relevers' amusement.
I am not amused and I will definitely never come back.

The hotel manager should probably be shipped to a less challenging position, if there is one. Or go intern at the Hyatt next door, she/he would learn a ton.

(PS: for Swiss, German and French guests: no CHEESE at breakfast buffet and the bread is industrial. I'll pay 500E + for my room, and bread is not even fresh and crispy. Probably the worst offence in my view. Plus they really want to remove your plate from the table the second you have eaten half of it, which in my world is a declaration of war).

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
2  Thank cmildc
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As we are constantly looking for ways to improve our service, your constructive comments are very much appreciated.

At Hotel National, A Luxury Collection Hotel we strive to ensure that all of our guests have an exceptional experience and we are therefore disappointed to learn that we were not able to provide this for you on your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.
I sincerely hope you will not be discouraged from staying with us again when you next visit Moscow.

Pavel Kosenkov

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just back from three nights at the National Hotel. With the exception of the bar prices - which seem to be the same in all top class Moscow hotels - we couldn't fault this hotel.

We found all members of staff to be welcoming, polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel was spotless and the antique-style furnishings suited a hotel of this kind of historic grandeur.

Our room was lovely with the sorts of little extras you might expect in a high quality hotel - bath robes and slippers, trouser press, mini bar, good quality toiletries (English!), lots of fluffy white towels and a hairdryer. The bathroom appeared to have been recently refurbished and was modern. Bed was huge - more than 6ft wide.

If you like to have a hot drink in your room, as I do, take a small travel kettle. And if you like to have an aperitif before going out and don't want to pay high bar prices, take your own (or buy in a local supermarket) and pop it in the mini-bar - simple! I also recommend the leisure facilities - yes the pool is quite small but then I'm not an Olympic swimmer, so it was fine. The jacuzzi was a lovely treat after a hard day's sightseeing, and the sauna and steam room an added bonus. Everything was spotless and well maintained.

All in all we wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

In terms of what's nearby, apart from being on the doorstep of Red Square, there are several reasonable restaurants within easy walking distance on Tverskaya Ulitsa and Kamergerskiy Pereulok (second right off Tverskaya Ulitsa). Wine in the restaurants is pretty extortionate - although some offer a house wine which is a bit closer to being reasonably priced. My advice is to check the menu before going in if you can! Just opposite the hotel there is an underground shopping centre (accessed via the Metro subway) and there you'll find a supermarket at the southern end. Finally, the Bolshoi theatre is less than 5 mins walking, and there are other theatres in the vicinity of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel National.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay here and that you wouldn't hesitate to stay with us again.

I hope that you will enjoy many more comfortable stays within Starwood Hotels & Resorts and I look forward to welcoming you back here in Moscow one day.

Pavel Kosenkov