“Great stay in a perfect location”

Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #18 of 334 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our first trip to Moscow. My wife joined me on this business trip. We initially stayed at another property, but wanted to move closer to the Kremlin area after the conference I attended concluded. We are so glad we made the move. From check-in to check-out the experience was fantastic. I met my wife at the property at the end of the day, and I had no less than 5 people ask me if I needed help after walking through the door. Most of the staff spoke very good English and were willing to help. The location is tough to beat with easy access from several metro stations and across the street from the Kremlin and GUM. Breakfast overlooks Red Square, and I recommend the buffet! We stayed in a studio room and it was plenty big. The shower was excellent. The wood floors were not an issue as others have posted. The room was clean and in good condition. The turn-down service made coming back to the hotel very welcoming.

The service in the bar and dining room was slow, compared to US standards, but well within the normal pace we found in Moscow. It seems dinner and a show isn't the usual, and with the pace of things in Moscow it seems it is either dinner or a show. But don't confuse slow with poor service. All we interacted with met every request and spoke fluent English. The prices for food and drink were a bit high, but not outrageous for a hotel of this size and location. The area around the hotel was very safe and easy for walking and shopping.

We would gladly stay here again in the future.

1  Thank Donald K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,588)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is my third visit to the Hotel National. I booked a competitive rate using my AAA card. Upon my late arrival I was still offered a complimentary upgrade with my Platinum status. Anna at the front desk was extremely courteous and spoke good English. I saw her the next day and she greeted me as well.

I was given a Junior Suite facing the inner courtyard on the top floor. I have had this same room before - a small vestibule opens to the bedroom. On the opposite side is a small sitting room with bench, desk and television. The bathroom connects to the sitting room. The room was quiet with no outside noise. See my pictures.

My bed had a card saying that they did not change the sheets. They smelled and looked clean so I just went for it. If I wasn't as jet lagged I would have made a stink about it and asked for them to do it again.

The breakfast buffet is pricey (1750 as of March 2013) but a nice splurge. There is a wide variety of meats and warm items, pastries and cold breakfast items. I did not try any of their interpretations of American dishes. The bacon looked pretty sad. But I enjoyed the other items and the view. Although I did not eat my share of 1750 I'd say it's still worth it, at least once.

They also have a business center with 3 computers. I was able to print my boarding pass and surf the web. There is free WIFI but it is too slow for Skype or FaceTime.

The location is ideal for tourists. I stay here while on business in case I have time to do those things. Red Square is across the street, there is a Metro in front of the hotel too. City center attractions are all within walking distance including the GUM and the other underground mall.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is amazing!!!Top location and excellent breakfast!!!The rooms are very clean.Alll atractions of Moscow are on walk distance.The service is great.I choose this hotel every time for my bussiness trip.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I find the prices for the Ararat just too much. So I tried the National, which sits immediately opposite the Kremlin. I guess one is paying for the location...
My junior suite is on the inside courtyard and feels cramped, not looking out towards open space. I cannot seem to get the room temperature right. The bathroom is a (small) joke, with the ubiquitous leak from the shower tap right to the floor (plastic curtain in between). Wifi is not great, certainly slow. The design looks decidedly more genuine than the other guys (ie more Russian/Grand Siècle/Kitsch), I'll give the National that.
But the best is the foodie situation: I tried to get into their upscale restaurant, fully booked out. For a hotel guest it is infuriating. So I resorted to the lobby bar, I'm writing from there. Good luck with the young staff: their idea of a good time is to huddle giggling around the bar area, scientifically ignoring patrons. Ignore the non-smoking area if you want to be served, you'll be ignored: an American woman just bellowed from there something like "is there anyone serving guests right now?"
No table cloth (even paper), the still water I ordered is probably being imported from Krasnoiarsk as i am writing this, and I took immense pleasure, after a good 15mn of waiting, in waving both my arms to attract some attention from the staff, to my fellow relevers' amusement.
I am not amused and I will definitely never come back.

The hotel manager should probably be shipped to a less challenging position, if there is one. Or go intern at the Hyatt next door, she/he would learn a ton.

(PS: for Swiss, German and French guests: no CHEESE at breakfast buffet and the bread is industrial. I'll pay 500E + for my room, and bread is not even fresh and crispy. Probably the worst offence in my view. Plus they really want to remove your plate from the table the second you have eaten half of it, which in my world is a declaration of war).

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
2  Thank cmildc
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As we are constantly looking for ways to improve our service, your constructive comments are very much appreciated.

At Hotel National, A Luxury Collection Hotel we strive to ensure that all of our guests have an exceptional experience and we are therefore disappointed to learn that we were not able to provide this for you on your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.
I sincerely hope you will not be discouraged from staying with us again when you next visit Moscow.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just back from three nights at the National Hotel. With the exception of the bar prices - which seem to be the same in all top class Moscow hotels - we couldn't fault this hotel.

We found all members of staff to be welcoming, polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel was spotless and the antique-style furnishings suited a hotel of this kind of historic grandeur.

Our room was lovely with the sorts of little extras you might expect in a high quality hotel - bath robes and slippers, trouser press, mini bar, good quality toiletries (English!), lots of fluffy white towels and a hairdryer. The bathroom appeared to have been recently refurbished and was modern. Bed was huge - more than 6ft wide.

If you like to have a hot drink in your room, as I do, take a small travel kettle. And if you like to have an aperitif before going out and don't want to pay high bar prices, take your own (or buy in a local supermarket) and pop it in the mini-bar - simple! I also recommend the leisure facilities - yes the pool is quite small but then I'm not an Olympic swimmer, so it was fine. The jacuzzi was a lovely treat after a hard day's sightseeing, and the sauna and steam room an added bonus. Everything was spotless and well maintained.

All in all we wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

In terms of what's nearby, apart from being on the doorstep of Red Square, there are several reasonable restaurants within easy walking distance on Tverskaya Ulitsa and Kamergerskiy Pereulok (second right off Tverskaya Ulitsa). Wine in the restaurants is pretty extortionate - although some offer a house wine which is a bit closer to being reasonably priced. My advice is to check the menu before going in if you can! Just opposite the hotel there is an underground shopping centre (accessed via the Metro subway) and there you'll find a supermarket at the southern end. Finally, the Bolshoi theatre is less than 5 mins walking, and there are other theatres in the vicinity of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel National.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay here and that you wouldn't hesitate to stay with us again.

I hope that you will enjoy many more comfortable stays within Starwood Hotels & Resorts and I look forward to welcoming you back here in Moscow one day.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The location is great for sight seeing most sights are in walking distance and next to the metro.Check in was quick and efficient,our first room smelt a bit damp so they upgraded and moved us straight away with no quibbles.The bedroom was large and clean with a very comfortable bed.The receptionists and doorman always greeted us by our names,the service was good we didn't have breakfast in the hotel. Drinks were expensive but you expect that in a 5 star hotel in any city.We really enjoyed the grand feel to the hotel with the chandeliers and sweeping staircase,we would definitely stay here again

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leeds29
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Let's start with what I liked: location, location, location. One cannot fault the hotel for that, and that's the reason I chose to stay there. It's right by the Kremlin and the front rooms (of higher category) overlook that landmark. The facade is grand and you feel you're stepping into a different era. Once inside, though, it's a different story. Most doormen are unpleasant - lack of English is no excuse to be rude - and the receptionist who checked me in was very snooty. The room furniture needs to be replaced, it's obviously antique, but looks just old and tired. The was comfortable and the bathroom nice and spotless. Credit where it's due. Moscow is not a cheap city, but the bar prices were unacceptable. Especially when you have to wait 10 minutes on a dead afternoon until a staff member acknowledges you. Service??

Room Tip: Get a suite if you want to have views over the Kremlin.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank PROTravelerUK
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your valuable review and for being such a loyal guest of Hotel National.
I am very glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel location.

I am sorry that due to certain reasons we have not met your expectations.
Our Front Office Manager and F&B Manager will work on improvement of the aspects you have mentioned.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences caused.
I hope that next time you will find our restaurant and front office services on the proper level.

I look forward to welcoming them back in the near future.