“From great to dreadful”

Ranked #18 of 316 Hotels in Moscow
london
“From great to dreadful”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a traditional palace hotel in Moscow. I don't like traditional palace hotels much and I don't like Moscow at all, so it was going to be hard for me to like it. In several respects I did. The reception staff were great, so were the room service staff. The concierge would have been good if they hadn't tried too hard. For example, I asked if a car had been booked as requested. All I needed was 'yes' or 'no'. My bag was collected, I was taken out to the car and then asked if I had checked out. I hadn't, but had called the hotel to charge my card as I wouldn't have time to check out. This explanation got lost in translation and I seemed to be treated as some sort of criminal. That resolved itself but it should never have happened. The style of the hotel isn't to my taste and the guests are the rather uninteresting ones you find in these hotels, but the room was big and good nonetheless. What wasn't acceptable were the staff in the bar. I ate there several times. Why I persisted, beats me. The first time, two courses took an hour each to arrive. The next time I asked that that didn't happen again and so they brought both courses at the same time! Some of the staff seemed completely untrained and to lack even the slightest bit of common sense or even good manners. The problem is there are no great hotels in Moscow. The Hyatt is bland and could be anywhere, the Swissotel is the same, but with a stunning view from the bar. The Ritz is expensive even by Moscow standards. The Savoy is probably the nicest, but if I had to, I'd stay at the National again. I just wouldn't eat there. The location is great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recently staying with us during visiting Moscow and also for having taken the time to provide us with your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you have enjoyed the hotel location and the friendly manner of our Front Desk staff and housekeeping.

I regret to learn that we could not live up to your expectations with the style of our Hotel and with your Bar experience. Your comment will be taken into consideration by the hotel team and we will organize additional trainings for our employees.

However, we are very proud of the 100-year history of our hotel and classical architecture with modernist decorative elements. The Hotel combines the best of the centuries-old traditions of Russian hospitality and entrepreneurship.

Dear Guest, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience at check-out, and for having missed the opportunity to impress you and we do hope to welcome you back in the nearest future to ensure superior and personable service for you. We are deeply grateful to you for the loyalty expressed towards Hotel National and hope that next time you will find our improved restaurant services on the proper level.

Pavel Kosenkov

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights for my husband's birthday. The location just 3 minutes walk from Red Square was absolutely perfect. The stay was expensive, more than £250 per night, but for a short break it was worth it for us as having not been to Russia before, the metro was pretty hard to fathom, so it was ideal to be close to most of the main tourist spots. The service was overall excellent, although the restaurant service was quite slow, and I was astounded that even a fairly low quality glass of wine cost around £20!! The facilities are good, there was a lovely bar area where we ate and drank a couple of times and although smoking is not prohibited, it wasn't as intrusive as it might have been thanks to the high ceilings and good ventilation. There was also a pianist one evening which was a lovely touch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsDBasingstoke
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed at the National in November 2012 on a business trip to Moscow. The hotel is large, well run and very well run. Your could not ask for a better location with Red square opposite and a host of great restaurants and tourism attractions nearby. My room was on the 3rd floor and was very grand with ample space, large wet room and very efficient and quiet air conditioning. The staff were very well mannered and attentive and the food is good here. My only real recommendation for improving my stay would be to ban smoking in the bar, restaurant and lounge.

Room Tip: Avoid the 7th floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert A
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time and post such a great review about your stay in Hotel National.

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you have enjoyed our location which is indeed close to Kremlin, shopping area and restaurants. I am very glad to read your nice words about friendly manner of our service. I will share your kind feedback with the staff. As for Bar and restaurant, I will take into account your recommendation.

Let me thank you for your kind comments. I am looking forward to welcoming you again in Moscow!

Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The biggest advantage of the hotel is the location and the view! Exactly oposite of the Red square. The room was excellent and especially the bed. The best mattress ever! The breakfast is quite expensive and it is nothing special, i think it is so expensive because of the view.
The hotel has a swimming pool on the top floor. It isn't very big. There is a sauna, steam room and a gym. All of them free of charge. The wi-fi is very good and it is free in all the areas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I am very glad to read your nice words about the hotel location and our room quality.

I regret that you were not satisfied with our breakfast.
Please be assured that I have sent your comments to our F&B Director for further regarding.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The best location in the city, with a very comfortable room and good attention.
The hotel really was a good choice, if anyone decide to visit Moscow i would definitely recommend this one.
I didn't try the restaurant because there are many places all around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Herts, UK
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the National for 3 nights on business wanting to stay centrally in a hotel with character and history - the National delivered. It is a grand building with old world charm. The picture gallery near the restaurant showing 100 or so years of the comings and goings on the street outside of the hotel and on Red Square was a great bit of history. I particularly like the photos of the nuclear warheads being parade through Red Square! If you like very modern hotels, this is probably not for you.

Bedroom - Very nicely decorated, spotlessly clean with an incredibly comfy bed having the deepest mattress I have ever slept on! Complimentary bottled water in the rooms.
Restaurants – Breakfast is very expensive if paid for separately and very average.
Staff – Friendly and helpfully.

I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pavel K, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback posted on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel.
I would like to thank you for your kind comments about our history, gallery and architecture of the Hotel.
However, I am very disappointed to know that we did not meet your expectations with breakfast. I have copied our F&B Director for further consideration.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again to Hotel National!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Friendly helpful staff, all english speaking. Excellent location across from the Kremlin. All conveniences in the hotel. Good breakfast, nice rooms and a great excercise facility.

Additional benefit is that a subway (Metro) stop of the green line is outside the door: This is really convenient for those a little adventurous - you can save lots of time if you arrive daytime to Sheremetyevo or Domodedovo by taking the train (aeroexpress: http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/) to town and then taking the greenline to Teatralnya. Buying a train ticket is really easy on the ticket machines (english language option), buying a ticket for the Metro is almost as easy in the cash windows. The subway is safe, clean, fast and on time a train every 2 minutes. If you do not find the hotel once you get to Teatralnaya - just say "Hotel national" to anyone and likely they will point you in the right direction.