All reviewsforeign affairspanorama restaurantharp playerred squarenice hotelsmolenskaya metrotop floorarbat stjunior suitewalking streetworld cupstayed here for two nightsriver cruisethe check in processgood sizerussian foodrooms are comfortable
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just returned from 3 days holiday in Moscow ( first time visit). After scouring sites for Hotels , many of which seemed to have very small rooms I opted for a Junior Suite here which was only a small surcharge.
Hotel decor needeed a little updating but room was a really good size ( compared to other Moscow hotels I'd seen) and had the comfiest hotel bed I've ever slept in ! separate living area with couch , armchair , tea / coffee , minibar and 2nd loo. Room , linen etc all spotlessly clean . it was in high 80's when we were there but aircon worked a treat.
I really liked the location , 5 mins one way to old Arbat area for bars/ restaurants and Metro station , 5 mins in opposite direction for river cruise and modern shopping centre. Nice area , felt very safe - staff were all freindly and willing to help with directions etc. Would have no hesitation in recommending ( especially the suite if budget allows - Moscow was not a particularly cheap destination but worth it !)

Room Tip: A junior suite , we were in 1508 , a corner room and views over the skyline were very impressive
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
BortElena598, Head of commercial department at Golden Ring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear "Shrives197",

Dear pkpenny,

On behalf of the team, thank you very much for your feedback after your stay with us - we of course very much like to be described as "Really good business hotel"!

It's great to see comments like yours because they show us that we are on the right track to create a great hotel that's loved by our guests.

We obviously would very much like to have your staying with us again and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for your feedback!

Bortnikova Elena

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Golden Ring Hotel in Moscow, in a "deluxe" room. Here is a summary of the good, the bad, the ugly: THE GOOD: Although the room was very small, the bed was very comfortable and the room sound-proof. The room was relatively clean, the bathroom was modern and bathroom amenities fine. Bottled water was provided, a welcome sight in a city which still has sanitation problems. THE BAD: The greeting on check-in was Soviet-style - no smiles, no welcome after a lengthy overseas trip, just "do you have a reservation or not?" Bickering went on between two check-in staff on our reservation until I asked whether there is a problem. Check-in after a sleepless night on flights was interminable. Our passports were confiscated until the next morning, again Soviet-style. The desk in the room was not upgraded for business computer use and finding electrical outlets became a floor-crawling game. The mobile shower head faced outward into the bathroom so that when you turned it on, the room got a shower, instead of you. The bathub was so narrow and its sides so sloping, that it was not possible to plant both feet squarely on level ground. One foot was uplhill while the other one was used for balance. The breakfast buffet featured canned fruit (!) that I hadn't seen since my early childhood, extremely fishy herring and salmon, but delicious bread. A lounge on the lobby floor featured snacks at outrageous prices. THE UGLY: According to the concierge, there were no group tours of Moscow but he could arrange a private tour/car with a guide. With each concierge contact, the price gradually shifted from 55 Euros for 2 to 3 hours, to 55 euros per hour, and finally a minimum of 3 hours. As soon as we entered the car, and identified ourselves as Americans, the guide/driver regaled us with his views: things were much better during communism, Gorbachev was a CIA plant, an enemy inserted by the US to bring down the Soviet Union, that baseball was invented in Russia, that the Tupelov airplane was destroyed by US politicians, etc. During the glorious Soviet Union, scientists, artists and musicians had free apartments, because they were the prestige of the Soviet Union - [so much for socialist equality]. I could not wait to escape this barrage of envy and pent-up frustration. The mediocre tour had little depth and solid information. The main shop in the lobby featured alligator and crocodile shoes for men in tis windows?! If you expect Western European/American/Asian comfort and service, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our deluxe room was small. Expect small or upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lilacroller
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I would rate this a three and a half star hotel. Good enough for me though, I have stayed here about 8 times on business trips. It is well situated and serves a marvelous breakfast, so your day starts on a high. The staff is mixed, nice and helpful during breakfast but less so in the bar. Reception is efficient but not al of them are good at English. The lifts are fast and plentiful. The rooms are OK but no 5 star by a long shot. One tea bag and one for a cup of coffee is not very generous. The men at the entrance should at least learn how to smile and a word of welcome would be nice.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Plus points are helpful reception staff, good breakfasts, good free wifi, and easy walk to some sights like the Kremlin. Rooms functional and clean, though a little dated. Using the restaurant in the evening means separate payment - it could not be put on the bill. Would stay here again, but avoid the restaurant in the evening.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank hardenedtraveler
BortElena598, Head of commercial department at Golden Ring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear "hardenedtraveler",

Our best greetings from the Golden Ring Hotel in Moscow!

We are very glad that you had good experience and liked our hotel!

On behalf of the Golden Ring Hotel Hotel Management, we would like to thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Elena Bortnikova
Head of commercial department

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Glitz and glam will not take this hotel far if the service continues to be as this. I didnt stay in the hotel, lucky me, but spent an entire day there hosting a seminar with my sales partners. We had reserved a room plenty of time of ahead, yet the morning of the event we come to find out that the location has been changed to a room that was a lot less superior to the one requested. 70% of attendees have made a comment that they had difficulties finding us. Next, we didnt get enough snacks that we had requested. I have talked to a young lady who seems to be in the guest relations role, and she was very apologetic and pleasant. Still, not good enough if you mess with my business. A tiny refund was promised, as well as a discount for us to book it next time. I asked to provide me this promise in the written form, and wasnt surprised when I didnt receive it. Fail. Not worth it. Glad I stayed in another hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Galina M

Dear Galina M,

Thank you for your choice of the Golden Ring Hotel as a place for your event.

And thank you very much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

All comments of our guests are valuable for us and help us to improve our service. Your opinion is extremely important to take the right steps in our work and to raise service quality.

The situation you describe in your review must be learned in details because honestly speaking it is the first time we receive a negative opinion regarding conference service.

We would be gratful if you could send your direct contact information to our Head of congress center department - Alina Safaryan, to safaryan.alina@hotel-goldenring.ru. She needs detailed information to investigate your case.

On behalf of the Golden Ring Hotel Management, I would like to thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future.

Elena Bortnikova