“Good location but not a 5star hotel”
Review of Golden Ring Hotel

Golden Ring Hotel
Ranked #31 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is well located and has a wonderful breakfast and on the upper floors some good views over Moscow. However the rooms are small, even by Moscow standards, the bathrooms are 3* at best and it is expensive. I know all Moscow hotels are expensive, but others like the Lotte Plaza offer a much higher standard for a similar price.

If you book with 3-4* expectations you may be pleasantly surprised, but 5* it is not.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
BortElena598, Head of commercial department at Golden Ring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear ScottAbroad_11,

Thank you very much for your time spent to write the review on your stay with the Golden Ring Hotel.

It is pleasant to know that you liked our location, views from your room, and buffet breakfast served by accompany of waterfall and harp!

It is not good that the room you stayed in was not completly convenient for you.
For your next arrival I would reccommend you to chose one of our suite rooms. For example, Deluxe room is 30 sq. m. room or Junior Suite (living room+bedroom) is 40 sq. m. Morover the difference in price is not too high.

Be sure, we do our best to serve you better.
We will be happy to see you again and again!]

Sinserely yours,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went to this hotel shortly after New Year's Day. This hotel is BARELY a three star hotel, let alone a 5 star hotel. They could not complete a laundry and dry cleaning request in the same day. The house keepers, maintenance, reception, and even the Western Union personnel did not speak English. Excuse me. But, a FIVE STAR hotel MUST have personnel in these positions speaking English; otherwise it should not be a FIVE STAR hotel. ESPECIALLY reception and the in house Western Union employee. I mean, what kind of people will most likely be wanting to send and receive money?!!!??? Of course it would be foreigners staying at the hotel. So, what good does it to do have a Western Union employee that does not speak English ... the de facto international language! And, I need not mention how inappropriate it is to have reception, housekeeping, and a maintenance person that does not speak English. Every request I had was not able to be completed without waiting to be transferred to one person, maybe three calls down the line, that spoke English. So, if you wanted cups or water, you had to make two or three calls before it could be accomplished. As I said, I submitted many clothes early in the morning for laundry and dry cleaning; and they could not get it done by evening. That is NOT five star hotel service. My room did not have enough heat from the heater; so I had been given a portable heater. But, BEWARE, I could not have this portable heater on and also use my hot water maker in the room; because that blew the fuse!! And, guess who came to my door to "fix" the problem (took three or four times requesting this)? it was a maintenance main that could not understand what I wanted to say was the problem; because he did not speak English. Housekeeping also left bed linen, after cleaning, on the inside window sill in my room. So, that was nice to bring a guest home and see dirty linen on the window sill after opening my curtains for a view. They also had creepy guards and doormen downstairs that stared at you every time you entered or exited. Also, the amenities such as the bathroom, shower, toilet, bed, room decor, etc. etc. were not better than most three star hotels I have been to. Nothing was luxurious or very modern. And, the decor was drab and boring.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this hotel unless you want to have a sub three star hotel experience for the pr...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tre L
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Professional, friendly, clean, quiet, nice decor throughout, excellent service, piano in the lobby, close to the Arbat street full of a good restaurants -what else a business traveler can wish for in the middle of the confused Russian capital?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
BortElena598, Head of commercial department at Golden Ring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear "roadwarrior11130",

Thank you for your time you took to write the review here on your stay with the Golden Ring Hotel Moscow.

Thank you very much for so warm and nice words. We really try to do our best to serve you better every time you stay with us.

Welcome to the Golden Ring Hotel again!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was my second time in 2012 on a businss trip visiting Golden Ring in Moscow. Location is conveniently located only 5min walk away from Smolenskaya Metro Station. From there on you have good connections to a lot of central locations along the "brown circle line". What I particulary like is the very attentative and efficinet staff from central desk to concierge, bar, restaurant, bell man etc all there to make your stay as comfortable and smooth as possible. Everyone showing a strong desire to be at your service whenever needed. Sure when on a business trip on a down town centrally located +4 star rated Moscow Hotel you do expect this level of treat. Being around a few times quite a few of you know what I'm referring to when it comes to these little but so often important details as e.g. early check-out and how it is handled.
Restaurant and Bar area both very comfy and inviting. Breakfast buffe excellent and a broad variety of choices.
Coming back here again even on a leisure trip?
Yes I would indeed!

Now I have been here on business trips twice and for this purpose it is

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor e.g 15th to get a great view over central Moscow
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear "Ante61",

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share your impression of your recent stay with us at the Golden Ring Hotel.

It's great to see comments like yours because they show us that we are on the right track to create a great hotel that's loved by our guests.

We obviously would very much like to have you staying with us again and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Golden Ring on approximately 8 different occasions over the last 6 years. The hotel is very well situated for both Red Square and the Expo Centre & business district. The Metro is only about a 10 minute walk away and Old Arbat Street is just across the other side of the 12 lane main road - There is an underpass. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff have always been courteous, friendly and professional. Breakfast is my favourite meal, sitting in the ornate dining hall, sipping tea and listening to the harpist plucking away - I thoroughly recommend having a Harpist playing at breakfast time, wonderfully over indulgent. The bedrooms are good, some views are better than others. I usually pre arrange with the hotel to have a car waiting at the airport for me and have never been let down yet. I hired a meeting room for a seminar with 50 people, the organisation and support I received was professional and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
BortElena598, Head of commercial department at Golden Ring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear "Shrives197",

On behalf of the team, thank you very much for your feedback after your stay with us - we of course very much like to be described as "Good Business Hotel"!

Bortnikova Elena

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Amazing hotel, room was ready well ahead of check in. Front desk staff spoke perfect English and were polite, friendly and professional. Room was very warm clean and immaculately cleaned daily. Very handy folder in room provided with hotel and Moscow information map which made stay better. WIFI was reliable, free and fast. Location great and convenient for walking / metro access.
Hotel security is taken seriously with door manned by 2 door man and at least 1 guard at all times. Excellent views of Moscow. Mini bar was also very well priced compared to European hotels

I felt overall this hotel offered great value for money, would recommend it. Thanks for a great experience

Room Tip: Was on 6th floor low level traffic noise but did not bother me
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
BortElena598, Head of commercial department at Golden Ring Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear our Guest!

Thank you for your priceless review of the Golden Ring Hotel Moscow!

We appreciate that you have spent your time to comment your stay with us!

You are always welcome!

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have been robbed from the staff of the hotel, when I checked in they told me that with 3200 RUB I could drink for free in the fridge bar, but after three days they charged me 25000 RUB.
this unbelivable behaviour is really incredible for a five starts hotel, but it really happen to me.
my email is matteo.del.corto@gmail.com I would send a copy of the receipt they gave me to prove what they did to me.
I would never go again to this hotel and I suggest you to stay far away from it.
In addition the sheets of the bed are rough and are not confortable and the pillows are low quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Matteo C

Dear Mr. Del Corto,

On behalf of the Management and the staff of the Golden Ring Hotel we would like to express our respect and apologize once again for the unpleasant situation with the mini-bar bill. We are very sorry that this unfortunate misunderstanding produced such an unfavorable impression of our hotel and caused so negative comments on Your part. This was the first time such an incident happened and the only thing that receptionist meant is that to use extra services (including mini-bar as well) we need some guarantee of payment – preauthorized credit card or deposit in roubles (the minimum deposit is 3000 roubles). Please, believe that we didn’t mean to deceive or rob you. The total amount for your mini-bar (which is 12885.00 roubles) was charges according to the price-list of the hotel. We will try to do our best to express ourselves more clearly to avoid such mistakes in future.

Best regards,