“A chain hotel in a historical place”

Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel
Ranked #13 of 316 Hotels in Moscow
San Francisco
“A chain hotel in a historical place”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I gave it a "very good mark" because the location is superb and the staff is polite and attentive. However, being in the center of Moscow I would prefer something that bears at least some historical feeling. This hotel lacks even a hint of it. It is just a very chain hotel, similar to any other Marriott anywhere else. If you decide to stay there, make sure you are not at the 7th floor: the rooms are really small and the only window is almost nonexistent. I spent one night there and felt really claustrophobic. Then I moved to a junior suite on the 3rd floor, which was much larger, but the only window, again, was facing an inner court. I believe that they might have street-facing rooms, I was just my bad luck. Another detail I did not like was the hordes of security guys in the lobby. Otherwise, it's a good place - as close to most Moscow attractions as it could be.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-facing suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
EkaterinaGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear War-chique,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your comments, which are extremely important for us.

I do hope to welcome you back personally to the Marriott Moscow Royal Aurora in the near future, and we will try our best to accomodate you in a room to your liking.

Looking forward to see you in Aurora,

Kind regards,

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Cupertino, California
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Marriott Royal Aurora is located at a great location close to the historical center (Red Square, Kremlin, Bolshoi), restaurants and metro. We stayed as a group (3 families) and had a great time. The facilities were excellent and the staff attentive. We had a guide called Daniel from Toursbylocals.com and he was awesome and did not use the concierge that much but the few times we asked them for information, they were not very helpful. The breakfast spread was very good and the check-in, restaurant and services desk staff were excellent. I will recommend the hotel highly

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Vidyap,

On behalf of all the team at the Marriott Moscow Royal Aurora may I thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor following your stay at our hotel.

I was delighted to note that you had a memorable time with us. Recognition and attention to detail are extremely important to us, and I am pleased to learn that we lived up to your expectations in this regard. I will be sure to share your kind words with all our staff.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon, and we will make our best to provide you the service you have the right to expect from Marriott. .

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had three days in Moscow at the start of a Volga Dream holiday in June.

The Aurora is in a very convenient location and is well appointed with attentive well trained staff. We enjoyed the breakfasts as part of our package but the prices for other meals and drinks at the hotel were outside any holiday makers' budget. Perhaps OK for those on expense accounts. There are plenty of affordable and good quality restaurants close to the hotel, however, and we enjoyed searching them out. We also were able to walk to Red Square etc after our hectic days on excursions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
EkaterinaGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear denis y,

I would like to thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at the Marriott Moscow Royal Aurora.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Your opinion is very important to us and I will ensure this is shared with all members of the team.

I do hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon at the Marriott Royal Aurora.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Olga and Sofia were outstanding, booking circus tickets, train tickets, and ground transportation. Very professional and accommodating. Lovely hotel, great location, close to Red Square, Kremlin, etc... Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Gord G,

Thank you so much for your comment.

I was delighted to note that you had a memorable time with us. Recognition and attention to detail are extremely important to us, and I am only too pleased to learn that we lived up to your expectations in this regard. I will be sure to share your kind words with all our staff, especially Olga and Sofia.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you want a nice hotel that is walking distance to everything AND with friendly staff than loo no further than the Marriott Royal Aurora. We've traveled a lot and this is one of the best hotels. One of my favorite parts? Comfortable beds! Really. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor come with free breakfast, mid day snacks and happy hour. Very nice!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear kertehQT,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your kind words, which are extremely important for us.
I was happy to learn that you were satisfied with our hotel and service, and I do hope to welcome you back personally to the Marriott Moscow Royal Aurora in the near future.

Kind regards,

Crawley
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We spent two nights here at the beginning of a tour holiday in Russia. The hotel is in an excellent location close to the Bolshoi theatre and 5 minutes from Red Square. The reception staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English. Wi fi is free in the lobby and worked reasonably well once you found a good spot.

Breakfast was very good and our tour group had a room to ourselves which enabled us to get to know each other before our river cruise.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby to suit all budgets.

Our only criticism is that the bureau de change in the lobby charges commission to change large value rouble notes into smaller denominations. This means that visitors who have only just arrived in Russia have no small notes to give as tips.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IanJoan44
EkaterinaGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear IanJoan44,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Marriott Royal Aurora for your recent stay in Moscow.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and for your positive comments, it is really very important to us.

I am sorry to see that you were not completely satisfied with our Bank service - we have passed your comment to the exchange office.

We place great value on your continued relationship with Marriott, and I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With warm regards,

london
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I really like the Aurora Marriott, the rooms are not the most amazing I have stayed in, however your paying for the location.

The place is perfect and the reception staff were brilliant. They could not accommodate more. The spa is nice and a welcome retreat. I really enjoyed Moscow being from the UK its not the easiest places to get too but the hotel could not accommodate more.

The executive lounge provided a good selection of nibbles, not sure why they do not serve spirits (especially vodka in moscow).

All in all a great experience. You are perfectly located - I asked for a table at the o2 lounge at the Ritz which I recommend and conierge booked it. I also did the opera at the bolshoi which you can book tickets online and is reasonably priced (about 20 quid compared to the ballet at around 150 quid).

Moscow is expensive but is a wonderful city - generally they have no understanding of service - you will find the strangest service in the world here. Expect small portions (no wonder the women are so slim) starters after main courses and drinks not what you expected. However its a fascinating city well worth visiting.

As someone advised me - you meet a Russian in London with a Louis Vouitton suitcase, he bumps into another Russian who says - did you buy that suitcase in London for £100.00, the russian replies why would I want to buy it in London for £100.00 when I can buy it in Moscow for £500.00 !?

As I experienced at the airport (worst food and service ever) - how much is a small beer - Answer : 415 roubles, how much is a large beer ? - Answer : 415 roubles - ....ummm ill have the large beer and leave half then ....

Welcome to Moscow :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank londondave91
Dear londondave91,

I was delighted to note that you had a memorable time with us.Recognition and attention to detail are extremely important to us, and I am only too pleased to learn that we lived up to your expectations in this regard. I will be sure to share your kind words with all our staff.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.