“Wonderful experience”

Moscow Greeter
Ranked #20 of 281 Tours in Moscow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Free tours by local guides offer visitors the opportunity to see the real Moscow! While each of these places are unique to Moscow and are on everyone's "must see" list – for a person to fall in love with the city and truly understand it, they must see it through the eyes of the person who lives here.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We were fortunate to tour New Maiden's Convent (Novodevichy Monastyr/Cemetery) with Marina. Before we arrived in Moscow she wrote and asked what we wanted to see and know about Moscow. She met us at our hotel and took us to this amazing site. It was especially interesting to meet a local and learn about their lives. It was a wonderful day which we thoroughly enjoyed

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A couple of weeks before our arrival in Moscow we used the Moscow Greeter website to try to arrange a free tour. Within the allocated time we were contacted by Sergey, who arranged a time and meeting point to suit. He took care to ask what we were interested in so he could make sure we enjoyed our tour. We were met by two greeters - Sergey and Victoria - who were very friendly. They showed us some interesting sites (the White House, parliament building, a market and, my favourite, Gorky Park) - which they always checked we wanted to go to and were enjoying. We travelled round by metro, which was pretty spectacular in and of itself. Rather than the sites the best part of the tour was just travelling round Moscow with two locals, asking about their lives, the country and opinions. They seemed to enjoy the experience too and were very generous with their time. I can't recommend the tours enough!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This should be your top priority if u visit moscow! Moscow greeters are ADORABLE! Sign up Asap!

1. you get to visit what u wanna visit! prior to the meeting, the moscow greeters would ask for your personal preference in order show you places you requested! For example, they ask if I want to bike around koscow, tour around kremlin( other tour companies offer that for a load of money!). I said I wanted to see a supermarket --- and they brought me to a gorgerous historical one in the downtown! ---which not a lot of tour guide or book knew about.

2. you get to meet the locals! And you will be surprised! they speak really good english, they are all working professionals! as an outsider , you would really wanna meet the locals to see how their lives are like. also there could be tonnes of absurd questions you would like to ask the locals. With moscow greeters, you can chat and hangout with them! they are just like your dear friend! the very interesting thing for me is that- they also told me about how they grew up- so you get a sense of how history has shaped their lives in various way. ( plus i get to know some of the little "insider secrets" or intriguing "local gossips" as well)

3. FREE and they are high in integrity! The service is absolutely free, I tried to offer them coffee or meal without any success! you probably wonder why- they are very kind volunteer who would like provide a great experience for tourists in moscow! as simple as that!!!

2  Thank postcardbook
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was extremely satisfied with with the Greeters program.
This is a perfect way to become acquainted with this great city.
Especially for people who share my affliction of neither speaking
the language nor understanding the alphabet.

I spent my first evening in Moscow in the company of two really nice
Greeters, Vladimir and Elena. We spent our time discovering the metro,
Walking in Sparrow Hills, and taking in Red Square. They were very knowledgeable
About their city's history.

Basically it was a very pleasant evening of sites and conversation.
If you have the opportunity do yourself a favourite and seek out the services of the Moscow Greeters!

1  Thank SteveB15
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I arranged for a greeter, having already used similar service in New York. The couple I met were very knowledgeable about the City and I found it fascinating talking to them about the City, Country, changes that had happened and the future.
They both worked for companies which dealt with English speaking firms and it seemed a good idea for them to improve their English. It was good already!
I gained great knowledge about the real life of locals and the way they saw their City through their own eyes. They were very enthusiastic and excellent ambassadors for Moscow and showed real interest in making sure that tourists enjoy their visit.
If you have already seen the main sights, they can take you to some of the less well-known, but more local ones. These arrangements can be made before you visit or flexible changes can be made on the day of the tour. T asked to be taken anywhere off the main tourist track and we went to Tsaritsyno Park, where Catherine the Great had a magnificent palace and grounds. We then went to some residential areas, has a snack in a local café.
A magnificent day; my best in Moscow and thoroughly recommend it to others – but they are popular so book early and be flexible.

5  Thank Steveie B