“strangely wonderful”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Presnensky
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Some friends of ours had told us about this place and its strange that we had never heard about it before, as we had such a great experience compared to the normal Moscow standards. We were immediately seated on arrival and given menus by a very helpful waitress and left to browse for a few minutes. When she returned we ordered a bottle of wine off of the not so cheap wine list but it was great quality wine and well worth the money, while we waited for the wine we were offered a variety of home-made breads and a complement from the chef (a glass with celery, prawn and apple ). The menu has something for everybody, we started with the Autumn salad which was lovely and the quail salad also very seasonal and tasty. Moving on to main courses we had chestnut crusted veal and seabass with smoked pork, both dished were good size portions and the cooking was flawless. Desserts are difficult to choose as we wanted to try everything but settled on passionfruit cream and pumpkin dessert, weird combinations that worked perfectly. The atmosphere was lively and the staff were courteous and friendly, a very intimate restaurant that we will be returning to in the near future. It is a bit more expensive than the restaurants situated in the near vicinity but it's definitely better value for money and when you consider other Moscow restaurants with the same quality of food and service its a steal. A great experience we just could'nt understand what the pictures of writers and poets on the walls are supposed to add to the experience? Strangely wonderful.

There are newer reviews for Yornik

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went here for a dinner. The kitchen is obviously quite inventive, delving into what I guess is called the molecular gastronomy. I had gazpacho and shared the caprese as a starter, then the seabass with artichokes and cheesecake. I was very happy with all of the dishes even though I'd say the caprese was interesting but you wouldn't get much volumwise. Gazpacho was of good standard with addition of basil ice-cream. The seabass was delicious, well-filleted, with good accompanying sauce and lovely artichokes. The portion was also a bit on the small side. I went for the cheesecake as a dessert and it was delicious. Very inventive but very good and here I was actually quite surprised by the portion as I expected it to be much smaller.
As for the service received I can't have a single complain, the waitress was at our table in an instant, water and wine brought quickly and waiters returned frequently to refill our glasses. They were nice, helpful and attentive. We were sitting on a summer terrace so I can't comment on the atmosphere inside the restaurant itself.
Overall a very positive experience. The only downside are the prices, which are quite steep, but similiar to other restaurants in this location.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a restaurant you go to for the food. Period. The atmosphere isn't bad, but it's a bit on the gloomy side. The service is fine, but the food is absolutely out of this world. The chef knows what he's doing, is very creative, and you can tell that he really cares about every single dish that comes out of his kitchen.

There are few places in Moscow that have food that is this good, and those that do are ridiculously expensive. This place isn't cheap, but it's not expensive for Moscow, and it's really a steal for the quality of the food. (Just to contrast it with a previous reviewer's comparison to Ragout, it's probably about 25% more in price than Ragout, but in terms of food, Ragout isn't even in Yornik's league.)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Husband and I stopped in here for a drink and dessert since it was so close to our hotel (Sheraton Palace). We liked the atmosphere and really enjoyed chatting with the bartender. She recommended the Yo-Apple Martini, which was a delicious concoction including apples, caramel, ice cream, etc. and was big enough for us to share. We looked at the dinner menu and decided to return the next night. Pleasantly surprised that both the doorman and the bartender recognized us and welcomed us back. We tried the Rabbit Scotch Egg and the pelmeni, both of which were excellent. Would recommend. Agree with other reviewers that it is a bit expensive, but we thought it was worth it.

1  Thank RockDiva
Nadezhda L, Public Relations Manager at Yornik, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you so very much for taking time to comment on your visits to Yornik. It was great pleasure to have you and your husband as guests.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I visited Yornik having seen some rave reviews. It was near our hotel (Marriott Tverskaya) and so very convenient.
The outdoor seating was pleasant, setting a nice ambience. I had fish and my wife had a squid ink risotto, which was quite tasteless and upset her stomach.
Apart from the poor food, the portions defy belief: they're absolutely tiny!
Not what you expect when you pay their prices (£50 a head)!
We both had starters and mains. I had a dessert but my wife refrained as she knew she'd be disappointed.
This is shocking considering the high standards of Ragout, just around the corner. If the owner is supposed to be a celebrity chef, she should pay more attention to her restaurant's standards.
I walked straight past this place on my second visit to Moscow, into Ragout, without a second's thought.

7  Thank Maidenheader83

Dear guest,

we were sorry to hear your wife felt sick after your visit to Yornik. We wish you would let us know about it right away so we can appologies profusely. As for the size of the serving we should say it up to standarts (170-200 grs) you get same amount around the corner. We would like to thank you for your comment 'cause it help us to get better.