“Things that are fine”

Ranked #6 of 331 Hotels in Moscow
A TripAdvisor Member
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I chose this hotel due to its central location and also for the reason it offered a new opening discount. This was important as hotels in downtown Moscow are usually terribly expensive.

The service was top quality, everything perfect, or near perfect.

Two little problems: 1. My laptop's firewall could not be harmonized with the hotel wifi and it took half an hour of work for the head of IT of the hotel to fix it. Finally it was fine. 2. There was no hot chocolate at breakfast. I have been drinking hot chocolate for 52 years without a break. I.e. I was not reassured by the offer of tea or coffee.

OVerall an extremely reassuring experience. Hope the hotel will be maintained as it is now as I plan to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,611)

Reviewed June 30, 2012

40 minute drive from DME airport (without traffic)...but you can request they order you a cab from the airpot. A brand new hotel right off the Arbat, and across the street from Smolenskaya metro station....Perfect! This is a relatively small 'boutique' hotel. Rooms are a bit small, but very clean and modern. Service is great, especially in the bar/restaurant. Best service I had in Russia. A little slow on check-in if there are several at the same time, since there were only 2 working. Complimentary water in the room and hot water kettle. Large bathroom with large towels. Wireless internet. Breakfast was included.

3  Thank EfficientTraveler
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Perfect one! Recently open, everything look new. Close to subway station and Arbat Street, which become it a very nice choise for tourism

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Paulista05
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I expected a lot from this hotel, but it didn't completely meet my expectations. First of all, I couldn't find it, as it was really tucked away in a small backstreet. I found it because I accidentally saw Mercure sign somewhere high up when I stood on the other side of the highway.

Check-in took ages, and when I finally got to my room, it was more like a closet. I have uploaded a picture of my room for your reference, it was a corner room and in most of the room you could not even stand straight, with limited daylight (a very small roof window of 40 cm). It felt very claustrophobic. But maybe I was unlucky, and maybe there are larger rooms. I did not really bother to ask for another room.

Decoration of the hotel is OK, if you like baroque (I don't - it makes everything look even smaller). In the end I couldn't see anymore of it, and it made me a bit dizzy. Striped wallpaper, dark grey tables, baroque lamps, chandeliers etc etc. Other might like it, I know it's a taste thing.

The room was very clean, no complaints there and a small but modern bathroom.

Room service was good and fast, but the breakfast downstairs was bland. Some scrambled eggs and not much more. That should really be improved.

Also the language skills of the staff could use some improvement, they didn't really understand proper English (apart from the desk managers).

I hung my 'please make up my room' on my door at 10 am but the room was not cleaned before 5pm. I asked for them to clean it at 4 and had to wait downstairs. Not good. Also the signs for 'do not disturb' and 'make my room' are mixed up. For french guests that migh be an unpleasant surprise as the sign 'do not disturb' translates 'make up my room' into Russian. I mentioned this to staff but they said they knew that already...

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room and not one with the roof windows
1  Thank tjp1994
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at Mercure Arbat Moscow hotel.
I am very sorry that the hotel didn't meet your expectations.
As the location is one of our main values it is very rare to hear that it was difficult to find our hotel. The main entrance is in the small lane indeed, but it is just 50 m from the Garden Ring and there are several big hotel signs from all sides of the building as well as on the hotel roof. To ease the process of getting to the hotel we recommend to use our hotel website where the guests you can find a map and all information about our location: http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-7454-mercure-arbat-moscow/location.shtml
I am very sorry that you had to wait for your check-in. Sometimes it happens when the guests arrive at the same time and we do our best to pay attention to all of them. I would like to assure you that we are constantly working on reducing the time of check-in process; nevertheless some procedures cannot be cancelled. Sorry once again for this inconvenience.
I am very glad to hear that you liked our Room Service, but very surprised you didn't find anything else but scrambled eggs at our Buffet Breakfast. Here is the list of the items we have every morning: hot and cold buffet, sliced cold cuts, rich selection of cheese, fresh bread and pastries, cornflakes and muesli, yoghurts and other milk products, fruits, vegetables, juices, mineral water, coffee (Americano/Espresso or Cappuccino), tea (black or green), hot chocolate drink, sparkling wine. Also I would like to mention that we rotate the hot dishes every day to give more variety and choice to our long-staying guests.
Thank you for mentioning the mistake with ‘do not disturb’ signs. Our supplier indeed made a mistake in the new shipment and during the weekend some of the signs were unfortunately put in the rooms. We immediately replaced them, and I am very sorry that you got the wrong one during these couple of days. To assure you that everything is correct now I post the photos of the signs we use in the hotel.
Once again accept my sincere apologizes for the negative experience during your stay at our hotel. We are doing our best to deliver great service at all times and we will continue to work hard to make it better.
Warmest regards,

Ada Egorova
Mercure Arbat Moscow Hotel

Reviewed June 21, 2012

pretty new hotel 1 block from Arbat Street
modern and clean, stylish and comfortable. Front desk speak very good english.
perfect for tourists

Room Tip: use online booking with hotels.com or other sites to get better deal
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Galina82
Reviewed June 19, 2012

1 minute walk from Arbat, a perfect location for a trip in the Russian capital. Brand new hotel, totally non smoking, with contemporary class furniture. Less than 1 minute walk to Smolenskaya metro station. Personnell extremently kind and all speaking English, some also French. Very good breakfast. I"d really recommend it both for leisure and or business, also considering the high value for money. Really a perfect stay, will surely be back.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank GIOPIX
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Starting from the location and finishing with the room this is an excellent hotel to stay in Moscow and the best Mercure I have ever been in!

The location of the hotel is perfect for starting a walking tour of Moscow and as the name suggest it is located near the Arbat street. This is a walking zone and has many souvenir shops, cafés and restaurants.

What I enjoyed most of the room was the rainfall shower, the feeling is great and you feel revitalized after a long stay under it.

Not many TV channels and mostly news and sports which is not really a bad thing.

A big plus is that there is free Wireless Internet, get the password at reception.

The staff is friendly and eager to help. Room service is fast and the food is very tasty.

Would recommend for both business trips and couples!

4  Thank Mitko I