“Memories of Moscow thanks to Viktoria”

VikiTours - Moscow Private Tours
Ranked #3 of 314 Tours in Moscow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: I'm private tour guide with a van.I provide private guiding service in Moscow and Golden Ring. Family and kids friendly. Tours by bicycles.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was traveling for business to Moscow and had a day or so that I wanted to view the city. I am from the US and the part of the country that it does not get as cold as it can in Moscow. I explained to Viktoria that I was extremely interested in the city but worried that i would be too cold to enjoy. We arranged for a half day adventure. She met me at my hotel, taught me the basics of how to navigate the metro (which for non Russian speaking individuals can be a challenge) and filled the four hours with the highlights of the city. She provided great background and insights. She was professional, yet approachable and enjoyable. Just one of the things that moved her from good to great in my mind was she not only offered to help me shop for warmer items, when she arrived she had brought a new Russian headcovering, a poncho and an extra set of mittens. Wow that is really going above and beyond to ensure that I enjjoyed my time. She made everything so easy. If you are traveling alone or with a group I highly recommend her services.

2  Thank Heather B
Victoria S, Владелец at VikiTours - Moscow Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2016

All reviews
"command of the english language"
in 3 reviews
"kremlin"
in 12 reviews
"gallery"

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I engaged Viktoria Smirnova after reading all the glowing comments from previous clients on TripAdvisor. I have just completed six days with her and there is really no way to truly express how exceptionally gifted she is. As a trained physicist, she learned how to develop plans to solve problems. When I first contacted her a month before my trip, I had already worked out what I wanted to see. I am not your ordinary tourist (some guides have called me a professional traveler). We worked together over that month to fine tune what I wanted to see, for how long, and a number of modifications.

The result was that when I arrived in Moscow, she was there and we set off immediately on what turned out to be an adventure for both of us. Her approach was to take what I wanted and build it into a series of topically oriented days in which we traced a theme. For instance, our approach to the must-see Tretyakov Art Gallery (both massive buildings) was to follow the history of Russia through its art. Viktoria, who considers herself a "Believer" in the Russian Orthodox Church, presented the history of Russia and Moscow as portrayed from the icons of Rublev through the art to the revolution, and then in the second gallery, the subsequent history of Russia after to the present.

We did more than our share of cathedrals and parish churches (at my request), discussing all the while, social and cultural mores of the Russian people. Viktoria, while not an architect, knows very much about the field and revels in very old building forms. Moscow is a city of many contrasts and she points them out at every turn. For instance, yesterday, on my one day in transfer from St. Petersburg to home in the US, we ended up at Krutitsy Metochion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krutitsy) which in my mind was a high-point in my days in Moscow. It is not widely visited and is a beautiful and evocative complex of old Moscow houses along with two historical churches. To my way of thinking it should not be missed as it says it all about Russian history from the beginning to the end (Beria was apparently incarcerated here).

There is much, much more that can be said. As you can tell, I was very much taken with Viktoria's enthusiasm, knowledge, energy, and willingness to dig deep.
She is almost worth the visit itself.

2  Thank John H

I'm very grateful for you review. Thank you very much!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

For our first visit to Moscow, we decided to start out with a tour guide to help us get oriented around the city. We are very glad we chose Viktoria.

Moscow can be a little intimidating, but Viktoria showed us some of the city's highlights, provided much background information, and helped us in getting comfortable with the metro. Being close to the same age, it was also fascinating to hear about her childhood and upbringing.

Viktoria has a very good command of the English language. When she departed, however, I was sure glad I had learned a little Russian, as there is very little English spoken or written anywhere!

Viktoria was just what we needed, and I highly recommend her. Thanks, Viktoria!

2  Thank cloudykaleigh

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I hired Viki as our guide for two full days in a recent visit to Moscow based on comments here at TA and we weren't disappointed. First the person, she's an honest, friendly, and down to earth person who comes across as passionate to show her love of her city. She took us to all the major attractions in the city and more, explaining everything in detail. Moscow can be a difficult city for independent tourists like us due to the language and difficulty in reading street signs etc. This is the reason why a guide in Moscow is a necessity and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Viki. As a side note, don't believe what you hear that many people in Moscow speak English, as this was not our experience. Also, don't believe that you will generally experience problems with police, beligerent people, etc. as this was also not true.The Russian people we met were friendly and always tried to help. Thanks Viki for making our visit a pleasant one.

2  Thank HappyCloud99

See more reviews
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had only 4 hours available between business appointments, so I needed a tour that allowed me to see as much as possible in such a short time. But Viktoria was great. Straight onto the subway and into Red Square, the Kremlin, St. Basil's, plus places I would never have thought of visiting, such as looking around one of the cathedrals and the architecture in the subways.

Viki's enthusiasm and passion for Moscow and her country and its people shone through. She was able to answer any question I had, and because we had only a short time, she kept us moving along.

I thoroughly recommend Viki for anyone looking for a personal tour of Moscow. I have only one regret, that I didn't have more time to enjoy Viki's wealth of knowledge and her enthusiasm.

2  Thank Pauladkinsau