“Cold War Bunker visit”

Ranked #65 of 2,455 things to do in Moscow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A unique exhibition of Cold War history located about 65 meters underground, Bunker-42 is a military history museum and an entertaining complex founded in the former classified military building of the USSR.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our guide really didn't want to take us here. But I thought my husband would like it, and if the weather was bad at least we would be indoors.
Even though we were with our own guide, we had to take the tour with about 20 other people, way too many IMO. The guide was interesting, but with so many people, it was difficult to hear him. The bunker is very interesting, especially for people who lived through this time period. I can understand younger people not believing any if it or finding the tour too Disneyesk. After watching the movie shown, you wonder how we could believe anything our government told us.
I thought it was good, however it was a bit hooky. My husband liked it less than me. The subway ride to the bunker is interesting, and you do get to see a real residential neighborhood.

3  Thank UpperWS

Reviewed April 3, 2013

we visited it through MOSCOW FREE TOUR, hence we payed 50euros per persons for the ticket, which is a lot.
but of my understanding is the cheapest way to visit it if you are in a small group
the guided tour starts with the descending under 60meters (16 floors) into the bunker, and it is really cool
you'll see a short film on the nuclear weapons (very interesting) and then a short tour
if you like cold war and historical wars you WILL LOVE IT (my girlfriend for example was totally uninterested :-)

2  Thank pescantini
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Bunker 42 was much better than expected. You are led way down into the bunker under Moscow that was designed to withstand a nuclear attack. 600 people worked there through parts of the Cold War and Russia's defence was managed from there. They showed a short film that brought home the severity of the Cold War. Our guide was particularly good and enthusiastic. If you lived through the Cold War, you will hardly believe it is possible that you are in Bunker 42. Highly recommended.

1  Thank RichardHost
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The location is amazing, but the tour is quite boring. You don't see that much. Main part is a movie about Soviet Atomic super power. This would not be the top of my list when visiting Moscow.

1  Thank adria33
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed the tour in Bunker 42, the guide spoke good English, and said very interesting stories. We could touch the objects, sit by the desks, hold the gubs, which wad very cool (taking pictures), because you are not allowed to do that in some other places. The only thing I didn't like was the annoying kids from another tour - they were screaming and running around, and their guide (and also the other guys who worked there), didn't say a thing to them, so it was hard to understand what my guide was talking about.
Overall it was a cool place to see. Not a must-see, but pretty interesting.