“Nice food, great environment, nothing else”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pavilion

Pavilion
Ranked #1,624 of 13,554 Restaurants in Moscow
Cuisines: European, Russian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Patriarch Ponds
Barcelona, Spain
“Nice food, great environment, nothing else”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had dinner tonight at Pavillion. Nice setting, standard decor, efficient service, but distant, it makes you wonder if they are doubting if you deserve being served by them.
The menu offers a good choice at prices expensive, but not unreasonable. A different question are the wines on the wine list. I have never seen such prices for very regular wines. Bottles you can find anywhere for 30 - 50€ are priced here above 100€. There are only 2 red wines for less than 100€, one Italan, one Australian. Surprisingly ( probably not so ) neither of them was available. I refuse to be charged 200€ for a bottle that any other restaurant in this world ( including Paris ) offers for half that price. Other restaurants I have visited in Moscow have wines that are also expensive, but within known standards.
The food was good, excellent beef Strogonoff, good salads.
The patisserie is outstanding.
In all we had a two course dinner, desert and mineral water for 50€ per head.
Not bad for Moscow, worth visiting, but don't expect too much. Any other city in Europe has restaurants like this one by the dozen.

• Visited September 2012

Moscow, Russia
“Fantastic place to feel the best of the "old times".”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have seen this place often, since I love to walk around the Patriarchy ponds, this is where this restaurant is located. Then once I had some colleagues from different countries visiting and I decided to take them there and try it out. I have to say that I received several "thank you" emails from my colleagues after that fatanstic evening where the food and ambiance competed and both were excellent.

You can go to this place for many reasons: beautiful setting (in Summer they also have a nice terrace right by the pond); to try / eat the typical Russian food (now I know which Russian restaurant to recommend to my foreign friends when they visit Moscow); and the best would be to go there for a great evening out with vodka, musik and great food. I think ideal is to go 3-4 people to be able to share the dishes as they are all excellent and this way you would try more and also to have a better "drinking atmosphere" as in Russia people usually make toasts when they drink.

Well, briefly: atmosphere and service are superb. The waiters are very attentive, professional but not intrusive; one of the best service I experience in Moscow. The food ... oh boy. It was fantastic for the Russian food. I felt like I was a child again and going to one of the few grand restaurants that there were during the SU times with my family and eating all those tasty things. One should first go for a lot of starters, especially if you order vodka as well. The fish plate (cold cuts) was very good and the marinated vegetables plate was fantastic, we ordered 2nd time. The stuffed hot pancakes were excellent, have not eaten this good in years; pirozhki (small stuffed pasteries were also tasty). All in all, we were very full already when we finished with starters. However, we also went for mains which were all typical Russian dishes again and also well prepared. And finally I had a cup of icecream with chocolate :). Ask your Russian friends about this icecream, they will tell you how fond of it people were once upon a time. Almost impossible to find anywhere now. We finished off with some coffee / tea and a shot of amazing fruity vodka based liquor - I had the raspberry one, incredible :).

The restaurant is not cheap but it is not "over the top" either. It actually looks more expensive as it is in reality. We ended up paying about 100 USD each and it felt like a great deal for Moscow for such dinner and atmosphere.

There is also live music, again some traditional Russian melodies. On the week day it was not very loud and there was no singing, just playing; I heard on weekends it can get more "festive",

All in all, it was one of my most authentic and enjoyable dinner experiences in Moscow in a while. I would love to come back.

• Visited February 2012
Moscow, Russia
“Perfect for a tourist willing to feel what was good about SU”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Perfect kitchen, great location.
Waitresses in starched aprons, stylized interior and music and a very-very good food!
I couldn't even imagine a better place to feel that Old Moscow.

• Visited January 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great quality - high prices”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I used to live in Moscow for four years, just 100 m away from the Patriarch's Pond. So I have been to the Pavillon a few times. I love their tuna tartar as a starter, the best one I ever had in Moscow. Overall, this is one of my favourite places in Moscow, but clearly one of those places which are better if somebody else picks up the bill :)

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank Niklas A
Geneva, Switzerland
“Nice place”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Good food, cosy atmosphere, very expensive. But a place to have gone to at least once.

Visited October 2011