“Good Value Business Hotel for Moscow”

InterContinental Moscow Tverskaya Hotel
Ranked #14 of 316 Hotels in Moscow
West Hollywood, California
“Good Value Business Hotel for Moscow”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Intercontinental Tverskaya Hotel is a very nice, modern option on a convenient stretch of Tverskaya Blvd. It’s close to two metro stops, and there are a number of good stores and restaurants within an easy walk from the front door. The hotel itself is completely updated and, for an American traveler like myself, provides a list of many amenities that I’m used to from 4 and 5 star American business hotels. There’s high speed internet. There’s central air conditioning, controlled in the room. There’s a big bathroom with marble floors and a separate tub and a shower. There’s a nice flat screen TV on the wall and place to make tea or coffee in the room.

For the most part, these amenities deliver as expected. Though I was staying here on vacation, and not business...I would probably lean more toward staying here again in the future if I were in town on business.

First the good stuff. Aside from what’s mentioned above, the rooms come with nice beds and linens. The rooms are well lit, but also have great darkness shades for getting solid sleep. The rooms are quiet as well. You don’t hear any door slamming in the hallways and I never heard a sound from any adjacent room. For me, this helps in getting solid sleep while traveling.

In the bathroom the towels and selection of shampoos and lotions are very nice. It’s a high quality for a European style hotel. The TV service has a decent selection of non-Russian channels. There are at least 4-5 channels in each of several other languages (though an option of PPV movies is notably missing). They also provide a nice mirror in the bathroom for shaving and a quality hair dryer. If you like to work out, you’ll love the gym here and the spa services available in the hotel (though I didn’t buy those, so I can’t review them in specific). Seems like a very nice, new spa facility. Just didn't get any services there. The lobby is plenty spacious and comfortable for a business meeting as well.

In terms of convenience, there’s a Starbucks Coffee (for those who like it) on the same block (rare for Moscow), and in the building just to the North of the hotel there is a fantastic, gourmet supermarket (called “Bahetle”) on the basement level. Anything you could possibly need for your room you will find down there. You’ve also got plenty of restaurants within a block or two, so you can find food with no hassles. As for Red Square, it’s a nice, easy ten-minute walk South on Tverskaya (which runs right into Red Square). You’re also a block from a major subway station, so getting around town is easy too.

Now the few misses. And I just want to highlight a few of the things that might be important for another traveler to know when making a decision about this particular hotel.

While the bathrooms are beautiful and modern and great in almost every way for a Russian hotel, they made the funky design choice of using partially frosted glass to separate the bathroom from the rest of the room. Same with the toilet stall. So for those of you who are modest, you may not want to stay in this kind of room with another person. There’s basically no privacy. A person sitting on the bed can pretty much see and hear a person sitting on the toilet.

The standard room also is missing enough drawer space for a guest to empty their suitcases of basic clothing. There’s enough room in two closets to hang the clothes that need to be hung, but for everything else, there’s really just one small drawer on each of the bedside tables. These rooms could use one more piece of furniture for storage. But, there’s also not much room to store luggage out of the way either. So your otherwise spacious looking room will fill rather quickly if you have more than one large suitcase.

The hotel offers wireless internet for free. But what you probably need to know is that it’s a pretty slow and weak connection (at least it was in our room on the 5th floor), and they try to upsell you to a faster connection speed for about an additional $30 bucks a night. Problem is, the faster internet also seems to be weak in the rooms when you’re furthest from the front door. And the work desk in our room was the furthest thing from the front door. So it was a little frustrating to have to stand by the door of the room, with my laptop in my hand, to try to keep a strong signal for my downloading of files from the internet. When I spoke to someone at the front desk about it, they acted as if it’s the first they heard of a weak signal in the rooms. Hard to imagine…but maybe so. However, they were more than willing to move our room to see if it would fix the problem. And there’s not much more you can ask of a hotel than to do this. Unfortunately, we don’t like to move rooms once we get settled in at a hotel. Plus, experience tells me that there’s a good chance the internet issue wasn’t simply isolated to my original room.

And finally, I’m a traveler who likes to sleep in a relatively cold room. I chose this hotel, in large part, because I read about their central air conditioning that’s controlled in the rooms, and it’s a newer hotel. I figured their central air system would allow me to get the room as cold as I wanted it. However, it turned out that this AC service is probably no better here than at some of the older hotels in the area. The in-room setting allows you to go no cooler than an 18 decree Celsius (65 degrees Fahrenheit) mark. That actually would be fine, if the room really cooled to that temperature. But, on that setting and according the to the temp reading on my bedside travel clock, the room would get no cooler than 23 degrees Celsius (74 degrees Fahrenheit). With the outside temps here in July in Moscow at about 26 degrees Celsius (78 degrees Fahrenheit) during my stay, I was a little disappointed that the room couldn’t cool further. Not the end of the world, of course, but if you like to sleep in a cool room like me, and were thinking about booking this hotel in summer because of the AC service, perhaps look elsewhere.

Overall, the hotel is quite nice for Russia and a particularly good value in this price range for Moscow. I’d say it’s a pretty fitting place especially for a single business traveler to come to town for a few days of meetings, so long as they’re not concerned about the temps in the rooms. For one person, these standard rooms are plenty big. You won’t need to worry about the lack of privacy with the bathroom glass. And you can conduct meetings in the lobby, the lobby bar, or maybe even the restaurant (when, and if, it’s open for service beyond breakfast again). Really applaud the helpful, bilingual staff here and overall, enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JuliaPetrenko, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Moscow Tverskaya Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear “Rob_from_LA”

Thank you very much for staying with us in Moscow recently and for taking the time to write a detailed comment on Tripadvisor.

Your comments as they show that we are going in the right direction 'in general', but of course I have taken note of your list of 'misses”' as well: when it comes to the speed of internet. We do offer free internet at 512kB throughout the hotel; paid internet gives you 4GB speed; while I agree that the 512kB is not enough e.g. to stream movies, it is the highest speed that offered free of charge throughout the Moscow hotels. The charge for high-speed internet is published and you need to confirm it during the log-in process.

I was sorry to hear that you had challenges with the air conditioning in your room and we will work with the Engineering team to check the rooms and to make sure that this does not happen again!

Following your comments it seems that we did not really manage to deliver this value up to your expectations and we will focus on this to make sure that you feel that you are getting great value for your money.

Of course I was happy to see that you would stay with us again and knowing how the team works to deliver great satisfaction, I am sure that during your next stay you will see that your feedback had an impact and that we deserve the fifth tripadvisor-point and will be able to change from good to great.

Thank you for staying with us - it was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Julia Petrenko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
ENGLAND
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Good location, within less than 3 minutes walk to a major underground station. You can walk to red square from the hotel but it would take around 30 minutes. Staff were polite and friendly. I remember in particular a receptionist called Rick, he was always smiling and even helped us to write a very pleasant note for us to buy tickets at the underground. Everything is fine, it does the job but nothing above or beyond.
The not so good part: The staff at the concierge was generally below what a 5-star hotel standard. We asked them to help booking a table at the Swissotel, they didn't/couldn't do the job and I booked it via the e-form from the website in the end.... We asked the concierge to book us a taxi to the airport on the day we were checking out, were told of a price that was high, we knew it was high because our friend had a quote from the Royal Marriott nearby with a much cheaper price. So we gave the concierge that exact number and told them what price our friend got, they managed to get the same price for us, after talking on the phone for a bit, obviously, in Russian. To be honest, it has broken my trust.
Overall, if the concierge doesn't improve, I won't rate this a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank QQ-LITTLE
Dear “QQ-LITTLE”,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor .
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Particularly great to see that our receptionist Rick has been so helpful.
We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience you have had with the concierge. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.
We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.
It was our pleasure to have you staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you again to the InterContinental Moscow!

Ocala, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Really top notch brand but somehow didn't quite match its sister properties in other cities. Worst things I can comment on are that the location was good but not great; room was clean and modern but slightly dysfunctional with difficult to operate plumbing and awkward lighting, although they were kind enough to provide us with gas masks (really?); and concierge was not aware that the Kremlin would be closed on the day we wanted to visit.

Nonetheless, one could look upon those matters with a humorous bent as well.

Room Tip: Higher floors, to lower street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear “Kairho1”,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay.
We are happy to see that you have had good overall experience.
We have taken your comment to heart regarding the relevance of the information provided by concierge.
We are very much looking forward to your next stay with us in order to change from good to great!

London and Hanoi
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I sated at the InterCon for four nights in June 2013, and it exceeded my expectations. The room was great; staff very helfpul, and breakfast outstanding. It was expensive but turned out to be the best place I have stayed on several trips to Moscow.

Dear “HanoiFoodie”,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay online with the Tripadvisor-community.
We are happy to see that you enjoyed overall hotel facilities, moreover, the interactions with our team.
Looking forward to your next stay in InterContinental Moscow Tverskaya.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Like much in Moscow it is quite expensive but an outstanding hotel in every respect. Nicely appointed rooms. Good WiFi. Friendly service that goes the exta mile (held on to a couple of heavy books for me while I traveled outside Moscow and had them waiting for me in the room when I checked back in a week later). Expensive but extensive breakfast buffet. Location near Pushkin square is ideal.

Dear “CAMOBAP”,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback after your recent stay with us.
We appreciate the time you have spent to share that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular hotel facilities and the service.
Thank you again for your comments here – it was great to have you staying with us.

Dallas
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had an overnight layover through DME, chose the IHG property in Moscow. They were helpful with the visa invitation via email. I should have accepted their offer to book their car for pickup at the airport. (I didn't and got scammed by a taxi driver.) The hotel was built in 2012 on an old factory site. Contemporary styling with old Russian influence, like heavy columns and gold. One of the coolest staircases I've ever seen, about 4 floors of glass steps from the meeting rooms down to the spa. Great lighting features; the hallways glow blue at night and yellow/orange in the morning.

The hotel sits a few blocks from Red Square, easy walking distance. There is a Chili's next door, although I didn't eat there. Most of the staff have good English skills and they seemed excited to have an American guest. The spa was nice, got a wonderful massage, but English there wasn't so good so I couldn't tell whether a tip was included or not. The lounge was nicely appointed and happy hour and breakfast had traditional Russian offerings (caviar and rabbit at breakfast). The staff was mostly cordial but I wouldn't say welcoming in a hospitality sense. I'd attribute that to the Russian culture; lots of guys in dark suits talking into microphones. A couple of the front desk and concierge staff were quite friendly and had very good language skills.

A unique property in a unique city. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: The Ambassador program is worth it for the upgrade. I was there in the winter so the windows were q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear “BannerotPartners”,

Thank you very much for your stay with us at the InterContinental Moscow Tverskaya Hotel and for sharing your comments about your stay with us.
We are of course very happy that you enjoyed the facilities and the location of our hotel and that you valued the efforts of our team to make you not only feel at home but to give you a great experience of Moscow. I am glad that the team succeeded and made you feel a little bit like true Moscovite!
It was our pleasure to have you staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to the Russian capital!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A well-run, high quality hotel which is an excellent base for either business or tourism. ( A gentle stroll to Red Square). Well-organised, with helpful (multi-lingual) staff, and all the facilities/services you might need on a business trip. The room was spacious, well-appointed, and with the quietest air-conditioning I've encountered in a long while! Wifi worked well. Food and drink in the hotel was good but expensive, (but to be fair, Moscow is an expensive city!) The free mini-bar was a nice touch.
It's a shame the hotel doesn't have a pool, as that would have been a great bonus. Definitely where we will book again on our next trip.

Room Tip: The non-smoking superior rooms were a good choice, esp. as they had free wifi as standard.
Dear “Blackheathvoyager”,

Thank you very much for your stay with us at the InterContinental Moscow Tverskaya Hotel and for posting your feedback here on tripadvisor.com.
We were of course very happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that our colleagues looked after you well.
The whole team is working very hard to deliver an impressive level of service and I am pretty proud of what they are doing.
It was great to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Moscow.