“Not a typical Moscow resto”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ragout - CLOSED

Ragout
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Italian, French, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Presnensky
“Not a typical Moscow resto”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This resto could be in New York or London or Montreal. Loved the atmosphere and the food. I went with a group of friends and seemed to luck out on the choices. Got a cabbage roll-type main dish and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. Weeks later, I still think about this meal! My friends didn't love it as much as I did, though.

Service was typical Russian-less than polite and slow. Food made up for it, in my opinion.

• Visited December 2013

• Polish first
Moscow, Russia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a perfect dinner place with modern cuisine”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Couple of years ago it was a definite first pick when you need something gastronomic, stylish and affordable in Moscow. The choice expanded since then, but "Ragout" is still one of the best Moscow restaurants. The owner is a food expert journalist, who is totally inspired by french approach.

• Visited December 2012
“Excellent first dinner in Moscow”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Upon arrival in Moscow from Los Angeles our group headed straight to Ragout for dinner around 11:30pm on a Friday night. It was recommended by a Russian local and we were famished from our travels.
The hostesses definitely rolled their eyes when we helplessly pleaded "English??" after crowding in from the street. However, they quickly dug out the English menus and pointed wordlessly to the coat check in the corner of the small restaurant.
After being seated, we could swear there was a fight among the wait staff about who would take responsibility for our English-speaking table and this may have been the reason we were left to our own devices for the next 30 minutes or so without any service.
After our waiter finally arrived he was marginally friendly (he's Russian, remember?) and mostly inattentive. The food was average and was average-priced. Sadly, each of us was served at different times which made the meal much longer than we had hoped and was a bit awkward. The real highlight of the meal came when the guests at the table across from began to make out as if they were at home on their couch.
What else can I say? I was underwhelmed. The credit card machine was not working (we couldn't understand the reason why with the language barrier) but all of the patrons around us seemed to be very upset by this and had to leave to get cash to pay for their meals.
The interior of this restaurant is run-of-the-mill modern. On a chilly night in Moscow it seems extra cold and unfriendly.
After my 10 day trip through Moscow and St. Petersburg I can see why this restaurant stands out. It would fit in on any corner in Santa Monica or the East Village and I suppose that's exciting to the locals. It just really wasn't all that special overall.

• Visited October 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A Great Lunch Spot”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I took my mom to Ragout for her birthday lunch. She was skeptical at first, because it's a new restaurant, and she has not heard about it before. We were pleasantly surprised by their French inspired menu. We both ordered the lunch combo which included a cold appetizer and soup. I had a mushroom tart and tomato soup, and my mom had eggplant terrine and pumpkin soup. My tomato soup had a lot of tomato paste rather than fresh tomatoes in it - this was the only problem with the food. Everything else was delicious. For desert we had an Alaska and a Dark Forest cake. Both were great, but would have been even better if they had less sugar. Overall we had a good time. The service was good, and the menu had a good variety of dishes.

• Visited October 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“great contemporary food”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were delighted to find this bustling, modern restaurant in Moscow. The atmosphere was lively, the service was good and the food was great. We had a fun evening and would recommend a visit.

• Visited August 2013