“hostile hostel”

Ranked #599 of 1,518 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
Belfast, United Kingdom
“hostile hostel”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It was really difficult to find from the metro station and I went round in circles a few times, when u print out a map it fails to tell you that there are several exits and subways from the metro station it only showed one exit and I assummed i was following the map. Locals did not understand even when I showed them the map and used my magic caption "isvinite" which means excuse me. Eventually I recognised the blue steeple from the picture. It is in fact a magnificent church and do pop inside, however the Hostel staff Knew nothing about having a tour around it or climbing the spire as advertised!
The girl who booked me in was not hospitable, made me pay in change said she had none but when I bought extras she was able to miraculously obtain some from the safe behind her. She made me wait whilst she took 3 phone calls and was not at all a meeter or a greeter! The artwork around the halls was really good but a member off staff kept turning the light out so you could barely see at the end of the corridor. I was in a dorm which I will loosely call a room, Room 2 it had another door leading to another room inside it and was really a walk through for all the people in the room to go in and out through. Privacy means nothing. Unbeknown to me one dorm bed in the room which I can only describe as a nest was occupied by a member of staff and her boyfriend who came and went and she dictated when the lights went on or off and left the door open, people were just walking through all the time!
If you were wondering about breakfast, bring your own or eat out as they charge for a meagre breakfast of toast and coffee! Whoever stayed in my bunk b4 me left boots, a ph charger and clothes under my bed. I was told that he was a friend of a staff member, I moved his stuff out into the hall in a bag, thee floor was dirty and covered in hairs and I gave it a wipe and disenfectant spray around my bed. As my bed had black footmarks on it I borrowed a quilt from the bed above as no one was there. 3 members of staff came and trailed it off my bed. They were very hostile and I was almost afraid to sleep the first night.
The bathroom is smelly and dirty. On a poster it says it is cleaned every hour but I never saw ne1 clean it the whole time I was there. There is a kitchen,cooker fridge microwave, some people take over the tv room although it says u should not eat there! There is a 24 hour supermaket nearby if you cross over a bridge but at night it is dark waste ground and there are a lot of Drunks about so be careful! My towel was not changed whilst I was there and I had to sleep on my coat as the pillow was like a napkiin and they ignored my pillow request. As I say the church is remarkible but there is no way the staff r hospitable unless to the male visitors who frequent and leave baggage there. There is nothing in the Kitay Gorod area worth seeing at all and it is about a 20min walk to the station and to Red Square. If you can afford to stay somewhere else it will definately enhance your stay more!!!

Room Tip: Room 2 is a walkthrough room leading to another dorm and people are walking in and out at all hours...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed October 27, 2011

great location, but poor facilities: mixed toilettes (just 2) and showers. Clean toilettes, but the double room wasn't so clean, although it was big and comfortable. We had some problems with the registration. Bars, restaurants and supermarkets nearby. Kitaj Gorod is a great area to stay in Moscow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank an0nym0us11

Travelers are raving about these Moscow hotels

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Great little hotel/hostel with tons of character in the heart of Moscow. Don't believe the negative reviews, the Basilica is about two minutes from a full service grocery store, several bars and restaurants and easy walking distance to both Red Square/the Kremlin as well as Kitai-Gorod Metro station. Our room was clean and comfortable and well worth the price considering other options in Moscow.

Room Tip: If you have the extra cash book a hotel room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TrivialTraveller
Wilmington, Ohio
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I'm a frequent traveller to Moscow and always stay in private apartments in the center. However I needed a one-night stay before heading to Volgograd for a few days and there were no apartments available so on the recommendation of a friend I stayed one night at Basilica. I booked a room with a queen size bed. My trip to Moscow from USA was hellish and of course they lost one of my bags during the transit. Upon arrival the staff showed me to a private room with twin beds and explained that was all that was available. I was too tired to argue and happy that the room had a private bathroom and shower. The room was comfortable and very quiet.

The friendly staff went out of their way to assist me with my lost bag. They held one of my bags for me in their luggage room and recieved my lost bag from the airline when it was finally delivered two days later. They even contacted me on my cell phone to confirm the bag had arrived and was being securly stored.

When I returned to Moscow three days later, they retieved all my baggage and helped me make contact with an economical taxi who transported me and my stuff to my apartment.

At my age (57) I was a little hesitant to stay in a youth hostel, but the experience was much better than I imagined. The rooms were very comfortable, everything was spotlessly clean and the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. 10 minute walk to Kyti-Gorad Metro station gives you total access to the city of Moscow.

If the situation warranted, I would stay at Basilica again without question.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank volgogradbrad
Tokyo
Reviewed August 1, 2011

They say it's walking distance, and yes I could walk, but still it was too far to walk. Only one toilet for many people, no stores around the hotel. Room itself was big enough and nice and clean.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MikaTokyo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We've stayed at the Basilica hotel for the duration of our stay. It pretty much met the bill for everything we were looking for in accommodation in Moscow: great location, friendly and helpful staff and comfortable rooms. They had a nice art exhibition of local artists going on. We really liked the gazebo they had in the garden out back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The location of the place is not bad, you can walk to the red square, and clos to the river where you can walk to where you can take a cruise. it is on an inside quiet street just near the BAsilica. Nice and helpful owner and staff, newly remodeled rooms. I stayed in a single room it was beautiful, they took care of very small details that you dont see in other hotels.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo