All reviewsmetro stationthe football world cupdifferent pillowsbusiness triphelpful stuffdepending on trafficrooms are spacious and cleantour groupnice hotelfitness roomrecommend this hotelbreakfast spreadroom servicefront desk staffsmall gymtea coffeered square
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at the HI Simonovsky last week after trying a number of hotels in Moscow over the years. It's a very comfortable property, the rooms are clean, light and have all you'd generally expect as a business traveller and even the free wifi was not that slow although I did upgrade to the faster option.The restaurant was fine although breakfast is a bit basic for the price. Service was efficient and generally friendly although I did get told off by a grumpy waiter one morning for asking for a cereal bowl - he was just probably having a bad day. The coffe in the bar was particularly good. The hotel was very quiet and never seemed busy or noisy despite a few meetings taking place while I was there. I would like improved lighting in the bathroom. The light level was a bit soviet!

It's covenient to a metro station (Proletarska) and it's quite close to Paveletsky Station where you can catch the train to Domodedovo. Amazingly for Moscow it's also easy to park, either at the hotel or in the nearby streets. If you want to take a slower trip to the centre you can also take the boat from the bridge nearby and get off close to the Kremlin.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are indeed lighter and sunnier.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DLM48
Reviewed June 15, 2012

If you consider this hotel as one that caters for coach/package tourists, then it is certainly fit for purpose. It can move a large number of customers in and out very quickly.

Positives:
Nice room
Middling price
Short walk to metro

However, if you are a business user beware, especially if you have heavy luggage.

-There is NO bell-boy service on the ground floor to help you with your bags. I have 4 bags, no help at all in getting them through the security doors, and no help getting them to my room. They do have "trolleys" but I don't think they want customers to use them.

-The internet charges are an outrage. They suggest that you can use their "free" WiFi by using little tokens, but basically it is a 128k service, and it seems that everybody is hanging off that. It is "barely" any good for text based email, little more. You can pay for "extra" internet at prices up to $30 a day (wow). They also suggest that the speeds are up to 2Mbps for the top package. That simply is not true. I work in the business and run some speed checking software. Although the "headline" speed may be 2Mbps, is is VERY apparent that they are using "Policy Management" to throttle the speed you can actually achieve (for example, peer-to-peer was throttles to exactly 10% of that). Basically, I was achieving faster speeds on my 3G phone.(By the way, Moscow now has a 4G service via Megafon). There is also no option to book a 7 day service at a discount, so you have to pay up to $30 a day for internet.

-Don't use the ATM in the lobby! While it is marked as "no commission" the exchange rate that it offers is outrageous (worse than at the airport). You are better off crossing the road (through the walkway) and use the bank over the road, which gives you a lot more roubles to your dollar. Again a complete rip-off.

-It cost more to have your socks cleaned in this hotel than the socks cost per pair (this is obviously only an issue for longer term guests). Outrageous cleaning costs, although not uncommon in hotels I suppose. I ended up purchasing a new 7 pack of underwear every week as it was simply cheaper than cleaning them in this hotel.

So, if you arrive on a coach, and there are 50 of you, perfect hotel. If you are a business traveller check out the Holiday Inn Lesnaya (Beloruskaya) instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the curtains/shades actually block out the light, else you will be waking up at 0500 in teh summer.
2  Thank Aaron R
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have stayed many times here. The staff are friendly and welcome you as a Priority Club member. The rooms are large and comfortable, have tea/coffee available, TV with limited English channels (CNN). Rooms have shower and bath and wifi internet (basic speed is free, but expensive for the faster services. Food is ok, but over the road are pizza/sushi restaurants an a very nice steak house. The Metro is 5 mins walk and will cost you about a pound to go to the Red Square (get the hotel to tell you which stop (I think 3)-you wont understand the signs. The Hotel has a reasonable gym. You can walk to the Kremlin on a nice day-follow the river (50 mins).

Room Tip: overlooking the rear o the hotel (towards the river). The opposite side is noisy.
2  Thank TeamPitts
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I went many times in this hotel for business trips but the quality is making bad progress.
Good :
Rooms are large and comfortable, location is convenient
Avoid rooms with view on the avenue (very noisy)

Poor :
Price is substantial
Quality of Service weak, (smile is an option...)
Breakfast expensive and common (bad bread, low quality yogurt, fresh fruits to be improved)
Bad smells of fried eggs(beware to take a seat next to the buffet)
Restaurant : not worthy to comment

3  Thank San2sB
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear Santos B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy you liked the cleanliness of your room and found it comfortable. We’re sorry you received poor service from our staff and the dining options fell below your expectations. I understand the inconvenience this caused you. I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Bon V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 10, 2012

This is the first time we went to Russia. We have a language problem after the arrival. We took a long time to assess the metro. The hotel is located in a suburb area. We lost the direction to the hotel even after we got out from the underground. Luckily we there was a Russian lady who showed us the way even though we only communicated based on the map.
The hotel, looks quite large for us, is close to the metro and require about 5-8 minutes walk. The front desk staff are able to communicate with adequate English. They are helpful to tell us the way to the hot travel spots. We used their exchange machine to get the local money too.
The room is spacious, new and modern to us. It is clean and quiet. The Internet is free and wireless. But we have to renew every hour. The speed is not fast but enough for us. We like this hotel and will use it again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple