“What we loved, what we didn't”

SunFlower Park Hotel
Ranked #61 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Fresh off our Russian experience I would like to review the Katerina before my memory goes blank.
Our first arrival (more to follow) to the Katerina was on July 28th. The initial feeling was a bit chilly and there were a few issues, Olga (I love her!) upgraded us to a "deluxe" room.
We stayed there 5 days, then went on to St. Petersburg. The Katerina was nice for Russian standards, we enjoyed our room. They offer free breakfast which was very nice regardless of the country you are from. They have coffee, tea, an assortment of juices, yogurts, fruit, cheese, meat, buckwheat, potatoes, eggs (much to be desired) porridge etc.
Down stairs you have 2 computers at your disposal, it was really nice to come in at any time of day and have free access to the internet etc.
We didn't have a hotel booked for our return from St. Petersburg so tried to negotiate a decent rate with the Katerina for our return. Our daughter's new apartment was quite a distance so wanted something closer to her. The front desk wanted $259 a night for a room upon our return.....I walked over to the computer and got the same room for $131 on TRIP ADVISOR!!!
You are quite a distance from Red Square, don't be dismayed. Walk out of the hotel, turn left get on the Metro, go North & you will hit Red Square in 8 stops for $1.80 (can't remember the rubles.) It's really not hard.
In the long run, the Katerina really was a nice place to stay aside from the beds, they are hard. Everything else is great, they really try to accommodate their guests. The best part is they fill the mini bar every day with water, peanuts, little snacks etc. for free. what more could we expect? In surmise, you get polite English speaking hosts, free breakfast, free use of computers, a packed mini bar every day for around $130. Thanks Katerina!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Christine G
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2011

Dear Guest,
I am glad to hear you liked our hotel and thank you for the advice to other guests to use the metro - it really is efficient. Regarding the front desk rate: I am really sorry, there was a mistake. Front desk forgot about our Hot Deal and 3 for 2 rates. I can assure you we have made proper training and instructed our team members about all available rates. Thank you for helping us to improve and do visit us again soon!

There are newer reviews for SunFlower Park Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Nice and close to the Metro but lots of building work around the hotel which caused problems going in and out of the hotel, especially by car. Breakfasts were good although i felt the buffet could have been arranged in a way that was more organised as it was abit of a 'free for all' at busy times. My room smelt like somebody had been smoking very heavily previously so that didn't make me want to stay in there too long. Also on my 1st morning it took me 10 mins to get a lift down to breakfast as they were all full! The reception staff all seemed abit muddled too and our bills were slightly confused as i had to be called down to pay more money and told my card could only be charged not authorised so i could pay at the end of my stay even though i'd had no problems at a previous hotel a few days before. On the plus side the mini bars free which i thought was a nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Loobs72

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am glad you liked the location, the free minibar and the breakfast. I understand your point about breakfast and the wait for the elevator. In order to improve this, we have introduced a new service: coffee, tea and fruits on guest floors in the morning when the occupancy is really high. All 4 elevators work fine, but it still might take a few minutes to take all guests down to breakfast at the same time. Pictures of minibreakfast can be seen on our blog.
The City is progressing with their construction works, they will be done by 15 October. Regarding smoke in rooms - we have tested and now invested in new euipment that will remove unpleseant smell. The reception approach should have been more informative: Electron cards can only be charged not authorised. I am sorry for this inconvinience and thank you for helping us to improve. Really hope to see you at our hotel again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We (me and my wife) stayed at Katerina Park Hotel between July, 25 and July, 28, 2011.
We found the hotel nicely located. Situated in the Moscow surroundings reachable by Metro in only 30 minutes From Moscow city center. It have a Metro station at only 5 minutes walking.
We were putted at the 12 floor and my advise to any person is to avoid at all cost the top floor because of the noise coming from the main air conditioning unit.
Right after we entered the room we saw that the floor wasn't vacuum cleaned because we found fruit pits on them. The first night i didn't sleep at all because of main air conditioning unit noise. We told at the reception and the staff changed us to 11 th floor so the noise was overtaked. I must say that all staff is extremely kind and helpfull.
Since my wife is Russian (me not) the communication was normally made in Russian language but they speak English fluently.
In the new room provided on the 11 th floor we found a concerning problem related with lack of cleaning that was immediately reported by e-mail to Mrs. Valentina Merinova (the General Manager). She didn't spoke with us personally but was kind enough and sent as a letter about the claim and made everything that was possible to minimize the issues.
We were unlucky because during our stay there were construtions in the hotel entrance. The staff told us that the constructions were responsability of Russian Government and they cannot do nothing about it. We understood.
Our stay at this hotel coincided with several Chinese tourists and since they were very unplesant, two of them started to smoke in the breakfast room. The breakfast room didn't had signs sayng that was forbidden to smoke. I asked an employee to stop that attitude from the Chinese guests and sugested to Mrs. Merinova that the breakfast room should have red signs saying that is forbidden to smoke.
Since the hotel is located only at 30 minutes by Metro from Moscow city center, wich is a very expensive city, this hotel was an economic option and because the staff was very kind and helpfull i cannot give a negative appreciation to this hotel even with the problems that we had.
I hope that the problems detected will be corrected and i sincerely hope that in the near future we can stay again at Katerina Park Hotel.
Best regards,

Room Tip: Avoid the 12 th floor if you
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luismgh
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write about your experience. I am glad to hear you liked the location and found our staff to be kind and helpfull. However I sincerely regret we were not able to deliver 100% on the cleaning. The experience you describe is certainly not up to our standards and I am deeply sorry for the inconsistent service. Rest assured that we have now enforced additional resources and routines in order for such situations not to be repeated. We also sincerely regret the disturbance of the City Works, they will be finilized 15th of October. Thank you for recommending to put up more signs regarding our non smoking policy, we have done so and we have also put up signs about the non smoking policy in Chinese. The issues you mentioned are corrected and we really hope you will give us a second chance - we would love to see you as guests again soon. If there is anything I can do for you at this moment, please do contact me: katerina@katerinahotels.com

Reviewed August 6, 2011

We liked our staying - the hotel is veeery nice, the service was very good and the food was excellent!!! So we rally had a romantic weekend in Katerina Park. We recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Dear Guest,
I am so glad to hear you liked staying at our hotel! Great that you found the service to be "very good" and food "excellent". Thank you for sharing your opinion about our hotel, please visit us again soon. Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We pre booked a cab with the hotel to pick us up from the Dobrulobova Airport. There was a problem with this but the friendly staff contacted me to advise of alternative arrangements. To compensate we were uprgraded to a deluxe room with complimentary fruit which made all the difference. The metro stop nearby is on a direct line to the stop nearest to red square (25mins) and travel by metro is very inexpensive. Breakfast is very acceptable and the hotel is great value in a city that can be expensive. Would definitely recommend anyone to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank steph135
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion about our hotel. I am glad to hear the issue with the cab was solved and that the compensation made a difference. Unforeseen things happen and I am glad it turned out in a good way. You are very right about the convenient and inexpensive metro – a good advice to other travelers. Hope to see you as a guest again soon. Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels

Reviewed July 27, 2011

An amazingly clean and smart hotel close to a metro that gets you into the heart of Moscow in 20 minutes. The room is a bit small, but the bathroom is large and the rest of the hotel is excellent...especially the wonderful breakfast and the friendly, helpful, and eager staff who all speak English.
This hotel is a real find! You need not look further. The price is more than right; it's a steal for all that you get in an expensive city. When I return to Moscow, I will not think twice! The Katerina Park is the only place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank al1002

Dear Guest, I am so glad to hear you liked our hotel! Thank you so much for your kind words about the hotel and about our staff , it is a great reward for us. Thank you also for taking the time to write your opinion. Look forward to welcoming you back at Katerina Park! Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels

Reviewed July 27, 2011

The quality in the recently renovated hotel is good. Fast check in, clean rooms (we had a bedroom and a sitting room) and the minibar was free. The breakfast was good. It takes 10 minutes to the metro and (next to the metro) a huge shopping wall where you also can find afewrestaurants. If you have a non smoking room than you need to smoke outside. If i am not wrong it's a non smoking hotel. Domodedovo airport is not to far away.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zhanhar
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for sharing your opinion – it is great to hear you liked the fast check in and the rooms. You are absolutely right – we are a non smoking hotel, we believe in the fresh atmosphere for all guests and all staff. Hope to see you as a guests again soon! Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels