“great hotel for moscow”

SunFlower Park Hotel
Ranked #61 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Generally speaking, due to lack of hotels in Moscow, staying in Moscow is expensive but low quality. However Katerina Park is an exception. It is reasonably priced, with great location for everyone and exceptional service. During our stay, the hotel was overbooked due to a guest being sick and because he had to stay one more night our reservation was a problem for them. But they managed to keep us smiling with great crisis management. Spassiba!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear Guest, spassiba to you for taking time to share your opinion! It is great to hear the unforeseen situation was solved in a good way for you. Hope you will visit us again soon!

There are newer reviews for SunFlower Park Hotel

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were in this hotel just one night but it was really exceptional. Many thanks to personnel that was very tolerate to all our requiries and activity. Big value was also created by very good sauna and breakfast with very good choice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spiridonovaa

Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our staff. Great to hear you liked the sauna and the breakfast too. Please stay with us again soon! Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels

Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and me spent a nice weekend at this hotel. The bathroom was huge with two tubs. Great breakfast with camamber, fruits and nuts. We loved the hotel and we'l be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, I am glad to hear you liked the bathroom and the breakfast. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion! Please stay with us again soon. Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels

Reviewed July 19, 2011

I'm sorry to disenchant those who, while trying to select a decent hotel in Moscow, have just settled or are about to settle for this “lovely,” too-good-to-be-true (based on the multiple positive reviews), and unbelievably cheap, new-ish property in the overall expensive Russian capital. My family DID NOT like the hotel, though some parts of our two separate stays there were or could have been okay.

Not to seem out-of-control negative and groundlessly biased, I'll provide plenty of pictures of and plenty of detail on what got me and my family SO disappointed.

We stayed TWICE in June 2011 in both medium and large rooms (what they mean by “large” is a two-room suite). Before going anywhere –Katerina Park is NOT a 4-start property, and I really want to know what person in what bad dream decided to position it as 4 stars. I mean… shoot me! Let them show a certificate that has at least 3 diamond heads on it. For those wondering what level to expect, I’d say think Holiday Inn Express or La Quinta –2.5 stars at the most. DO NOT think Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, or the like. It’s new, but cheaply made; it uses very cheap bedding (ours had an IKEA!!!! stamp on it), and the mattresses are atrociously cheap as well (don’t know the brand, but they are the lowest end possible). The carpeting is cheap, too, and already has its fair share of wear and tear. The building is 17 months old, but the walls –especially the corners-- have a lot of scuffs. I cannot imagine what the whole facility will look like in 5 years.

With both of our visits (both were pre-paid, so I couldn't cancel the second one), we arrived to a huge ditch 4 feet/1 meter away from the main hotel entrance. See pictures. The fence was ridiculous, with holes and openings large enough to let an adult go down, much less a 3-year old toddler, which we happened to be traveling with. No work was being done on the "project" on either of our visits, so, as we came back for our second stay, we thoroughly "enjoyed" the same ugliness we had to deal with 3 weeks prior.

The hotel in non-smoking, but smoking starts right at the entrance door. You WILL inhale some.

Further, the neighborhood.... Where do I start? Maybe here … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL38JTJ3g3c
Please do not fool yourself with an expectation of a lovely quiet neighborhood with parks and such. Yes, there is a small park and a playground across the road (each of which is quite miserable and neither of which has anything to do with the hotel itself), but there's also an ambulance station right next to the hotel. The hotel is in dangerous proximity to a VERY busy market place (think flee market here, not anything fancy and/or innocent); we witnessed a fight and saw blood spills on the pavement one night. The metro is near, but you are SO IN THE STICKS --getting to the center takes 45 minutes. Tons of noise in the morning: tractors, bulldozers, excavators… Again, check out this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL38JTJ3g3c

Third, the service... I do understand it's a new thing in Russia, but there are limits to incompetence. On our first stay, the cleaning lady let my wife in our room without a key --my wife just told her she was staying here, so ... no-brainer, right?!!! On our second visit, another cleaning lady amused us --BIG TIME--when she, in a truly naive and adorable way, couldn't understand why we needed a king bed and why two twin beds, put together and dressed with one sheet, would not work for us. Hmmm… Hotels are largely about beds and sleep comfort, right? At least I always thought so.,,

The most bizarre experience involved our reservation and payment. I booked this hotel months in advance using booking.com. Due to an appealing rate, the reservation was non-refundable. After making the purchase, I got a message from booking.com saying that my card would be charged the same day –common practice with non-refundable rates. Then the craziness began. My card was not charged. Booking.com said they wouldn’t charge the card –the hotel would –and stood by the promise that money would be taken immediately. It wasn’t. In fact, after talking to six different people at Katerina over the period of 4 months, I was told that the money would be taken at the end of my stay and that they just needed my card to “hold” the reservation for me. Let me just emphasize – I can’t cancel anything, but they won’t take the money… Here’s where it takes me… In the months between the day of booking and the actual stay, the Russian currency went up against the dollar by 7 or 8% (they quoted the rate in roubles), so my stay was more expensive by that much. I would kindly ask Katerina management to review what “non-refundable” means and brainstorm some ways of handling such reservations, so everybody benefits equally. I have a right to save. That right was taken from me. What REALLY bugs me is that NOONE at that hotel knew a) what my concern was and b) what ways of handling my concern existed in the universe called “hotel reservations.” With so many people servicing the hotel, the level of training is extremely low and the overall helpfulness is close to zero. The management hierarchy is so USSR: there’s always some Marina or Kristina, who is up above and who can potentially help you, but you deal with the front desk, who is … scared of Marina and/or Kristina … Hope you get my meaning.

Forth, safety, cleanliness, and comfort… The glass wall/partition in the suite shower was not fixed/fastened, so it could move back and forth freely. No big deal? Well, push it a bit and it will hit the sink and break. God knows how badly those chunks of glass will cut you or whoever is in the bathtub (see picture). The shower cabin in our first room was dirty. Very dirty. There was one roll of bathroom tissue with no extras anywhere in the room. The bathroom had very few towels –we had to ask for more twice.

Moving on… they had a total of two baby cribs (the Sleep-n-Play type, not anything real-crib-like) for the entire hotel. Both were broken when we were there, so our kid ended up sleeping with us. I had ordered a crib months in advance… I myself had to move the pull-out sofa around, so the pull out part would have enough space to extend fully. I doubt an old lady (there’s plenty of older people staying at the hotel at all times) can do it… There was a door stopper (!!!) right in front of one of the dressers, so the dresser had to be moved as well.

Air conditioning issues… Okay, the deal is… the air conditioner is just not sufficient for the size of the room. Period. If it’s hot outside, expect to be hot. Sorry.

Speaking of the size of their rooms, the medium one is small as in S-M-A-L-L. The large, two-room one is good size. Take an upgrade if one is offered. The view from all of our rooms was ugly. The most picturesque part was a huge power plant about 4 miles down the road. The whole area is a wild combination of Soviet-style, 20-or-so-storey-tall apartment buildings and random businesses and plants, ranging from flee markets to factories and construction machinery depots and services. Again, check out the pictures and video.

There were, of course, positive sides to our stays. First and foremost, the breakfast choices were really great. At 8:00 or 8:30, though, the breakfast area was just too busy. No coffee cups, out of milk, not enough cereal bowls, have to wait for spoons, hot water is out … small things that ruin even something that is not bad in the first place. Again, they have a million service people running around. It’s a question of training!!!! Just dressing them in uniform doesn’t cut it.

The mini bar was appreciated. Expect two 0.5 liter bottles of water per adult (one carbonated, one not), small packages of juice, coke, and 2 or 3 types of snacks (e.g. peanuts, milk chocolate, etc). No liquor or beer. If you don’t speak Russian, the restaurant downstairs is your only option for food and drinks (there is really nothing in the vicinity, except a scary-looking Japanese place). Be prepared, though-- both food and drinks are shamelessly overpriced. Example: one of the two choices for “water” was a 0.25l bottle of Perrier, which cost around $5. The other option was some other big name brand at an identical price. A pint of beer ended up costing an arm and a leg, too.

Bottomline: I commend the owners of Katerina Park on their attempts to make it big in the developing hospitality business in Russia. I am not at tall impresses and cannot give them all a grade higher than a D at this time. Seriously, there are better ways and better places. I will certainly try a different hotel next time I am in Moscow.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank root9900
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The hotel is near subway Prazskaya (only 5 minutes walk). Rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped. The room price offer free mini-bar, sauna visit. Near the hotel are shops, markets and restaurants. Breakfast is very good. The city center can be reached by metro in about 2O minutes.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bedrichha
Katerina_Cronstedt, Owner at SunFlower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion about our hotel. I am so glad to hear you found our rooms spacious, clean and well equipped and breakfast very good!
Hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

top service, good style, wonderful team, delicious breakfast, good access to metro station.
if i go again to russia, i shall stay in it again and again and again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank abomunzer

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your warm words - it is a great reward for us, we try hard! And thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about our hotel. Hope to see you soon again and again and again! :)

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Quite a decent hotel. Resting on the hip club-action as well. The cost of living in a large room was 3200 rubles per day, of course, very pleased. In the hotel there are many foreigners.
Good service, decent rooms and nice, do not smoke. In general, at all focused on the client, which in Russian hotels are still not common.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Apekreto

Dear Guest, I am glad to hear you liked our hotel: the service, the rooms and our non-smoking policy. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion about your experience! Hope to see you again soon! Sincerely yours, Katerina Cronstedt Managing Director, Katerina Hotels