“A seafood lover's heaven!”

Filimonova and Yankel Fish-House
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Patriarch Ponds
Grantham, United Kingdom
“A seafood lover's heaven!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I often eat at Goodman's when staying on Tverskaya, especially when my steak-loving colleague comes along but fancied a change. I love seafood and this place hit the spot. You could choose lobster which would be wandering around the tank until moments before you ate it!
I ordered the crab and mushroom cocotte to start and it was superb. A really rich sauce, tonnes of mushrooms and plenty of crab - large pieces, none of this flaky stuff, and a cheese crust.
Main was seafood and grilled veg - plenty of scallops - queen and sea, octopus and prawns, the veg were aubergine, courgette and yellow pepper.
There was ample seafood - the main reason for ordering the dish, I grant you, but only one piece of each veg. I would have preferred a little more. The dish was very well flavoured and tasteed really fresh.
Dessert was a creme brulee with blueberries.
the restaurant was relatively quiet - Monday night, heavy snow in early February, but a really nice place.
Service was very good, my waiter was attentive and never far away, possibly becasue it was a little quiet, but he was not pushy in any way.
I am getting used to "moderate" pricing in Moscow equating to extortionate anywhere else. Three course and 2 glasses of one of the cheapest wines (tasted very good) left me R3000 lighter, but richer for the pleasure.

• Visited February 2013

Chisinau, Moldova
“The best snails in Moscow :)”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

One of the most suitable places for a business lunch for those who prefer fish. When ordering, you may want to look for Fish-Dinner menu - the best price/quality offer. The offered grilled Sea-Bass is prepared very well.

I must mention the snails with garlic, which are delicious when served with some white wine.

• Visited December 2012
Moscow, Russia
“Value for money fish in Moscow”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a nice alternative to a few expensive fish restaurants in Moscow, as prices in Filimonova are reasonable and the fish is fresh. Owned by the same group as the Goodman steak house chain. They have a few outlets, but my favorite is the one on Tverskaya -- quality is consistent. Their wine list is moderate, but includes several choices below 1,500 rubles (50 dollars). Grilled dorada or seabass is very good, as is grilled seafood platter, mussles and salmon. Apple pie with icecream for desert is truly excellent.

• Visited December 2012
Moscow, Russia
“just okay to tick an outing”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I pushed wife into a vertually empty hall on an evening following a boat trip on Moskva river as their one outlet faces the getoff stop. I owed a party and ordered one of a pricier fish dishes plus wine. What arrived was eatable / drinkable - and that's it. We sure had tasted better wines on our travels, to speak nothing of Malaysian fish preparations, sizzlers etc. This here, alas, was as ordinary as I may fry at home with little oil and herbs on hand. With not even a live band around to dispell out boredom, we headed home, the night out nipped. The girl attendant handed us a leaflet and invited to call again. I can't blame her nor the Chef - they are captives of the listless atmosphere. Perhaps the cooked fish was too. Blessed are the handful of other eateries that have overcome the listlessness. I realize that I am being up against so many happy zany reviews but then it's Russia you know.

• Visited May 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastically fresh, tasty seafood in Moscow! Tbepckar 23”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

A local took us to Filimonova & Yankel Fish House for dinner. Best seafood meal in Moscow (on our 6th night in Moscow, so we had tried a few). We had the special of the day - sea bass with either Broccoli or French fries for 990 rubels - around US$30. Excellent wine list.
Located at Tbepckar 23; down drive way, recognisable by orange themed decor. Nr. Pushkinskaya metro.

• Visited June 2012