“Not 4 star” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Timisoara
Timisoara, Romania
“Not 4 star”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel does not deserve 4 stars. I attended several trainings and conferences in this hotel. They do not really pay attention to details. The conference room "Gold" is not well enough ventilated, and once we could not make a conference call due to the lack of equipment, although we have mentioned that we need a phone for the conference call. This winter they did not clean their own parking so it was full of snow and ice. The food is kind of bland and it comes in rather small portions. And a very important detail: the chairs are horrible, not ergonomic at all. After 8 hours spent on a training your back hurts really bad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Emina79
LIDOTimisoara, Manager at Hotel Lido, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate that you expressed your disapointing in obtaining your maximum satisfaction therefor I have to respond to you:
I do not know about your qualifications in ranking a hotel .I have to tell you that with all room amenities ,hotel services and sqm spaces we could easily (was missing a outdoor swimming pool) obtain 5 stars.
Regarding the conference amenities ,if you would have seen the e-mails when it was contracted the conference ,you would have seen that I didn't provide telephone service only in other two conference rooms with extra costs(please gather all datas before expressing yourself).The chairs in conference rooms are conference-chairs with attachable write-desk used in 90%of hospitality industry.
Regarding the meals , together with our Maestro in International cuisine (I will provide its qualifications in international,asian,mediteraneean cuisine if needed) we created conference -menues with calories calculation in order to avoid sleeping atmosphere after the lunch at a resonable agreed -tariff with your company.
We are always opened to any pertinent suggestions .

Best regards,
Ec.Andy Balanescu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I spent 7 nights at the Hotel Lido, with my wife, returning home yesterday. We had travelled to Timisoara for the wedding of a young friend ( incidentally he was brought up two blocks away from the hotel) who has been our house guest for two years as he studies theology in Liverpool. I arrange the trip - flights and accommodation through lastminute.com whom I have used before. I received all of my documentation and it was completely in order.

When we checked in, our young friend who had met us from the airport was with me, I passed over the voucher for our 7 nights bed and breakfast accommodation and was duly given my room key, they copied my passport as ID - not needing a credit card imprest as the accommodation was pre booked and paid.

We enjoyed our stay, breakfast was self service and substantial, but had the problem that a number of other hotels have of keeping the hot food hot. The restaurant staff were particularly attentive - we had invited friends to meals (up to 12 on 3 occasions) and brought considerable business to them - paying for this as we went along. We enjoyed the food, it was nicely prepared, well presented and there was a good range of choice. The young woman who seemed the oversee and manage the restaurant introduced us to some fine Romanian wines. The restaurant staff were excellent, the room staff were good and the room was clean and well presented. Reception staff were generally helpful.

The hotel is convenient for transport, the bus, trolley bus and tram stop outside, and the taxi rank is close by. Travel is comparatively cheap and the licensed taxi drivers, with their meters are excellent value. 4 people travelling for less that half the cost of a bus fare in Liverpool.

My review ceases to be postive at checkout. I was forced to pay even though a voucher had been presented for prepayment - I was unable to contact lastminute by mobile and felt intimidated into paying - particularly by the swarthy, unshaven individual who came out of his office waved papers at the receptionist - a young male which idnicated that I had paid tried to pay by American Express but they hadn't had payment in advance. I am now pursuing the matter with late rooms. To retrieve my money. This spoilt what was a pleasant, though average hotel experience.

I shall be visiting Timisoara again for an important conference but not, I am afraid the Hotel Lido - I have also warned the conference advisors about my experience and my Romanian friends who are local to the hotel were very upset and apologetic when I told them last evening. I am still uncertain as to whether this is a scam or a genuine error but I am certain lastminute will rapidly investigate and set matters right and reimburse.

Room Tip: Upper floors seemed safer and more secure.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MerseysideAlan
LIDOTimisoara, Manager at Hotel Lido, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Mr.Ryan,

I must appologize for your last impression about our hotel,taking account that all your staying you appreciated cuisine and staff,and it was spoted at departing.We advised travel agency months ago regarding the impossibility of AMEX prepayment.We accept AMEX as a payment method but not in advance because the bank is requesting some conditions for advance Amex payment.Regarding the receptionist's attitude and look ,he was penaltied due to our internal conduite code.

I present my appologize for all this unpleasend situation!
Best regards,

E-mai:manager@hotel-lido.ro
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed in October 2012. Paid ca. EUR 53/single/night incl. breakfast.

It is that kind of hotel which wants to make an impression, so the lobby and ground floor restaurant are equipped accordingly. Outside of the hotel there are several flags of various countries so we should know that this is an "international hotel" in southern outskirts of Timisoara. I have spotted unusual concentration of cars like Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover at the parking. But maybe that was just a coincidence.

Floor layout is quite strange, it looks like the architect was drunk or insane upon designing the floor plan. Long corridors with strange curves and stairs up and down... There was no hot water in my room upon check-in but I was told the matter will be fixed later in the evening, which actually happened. But I had to wait some hours. I was satisfied with the food quality in the restaurant.

Conclusion: I will probably try another hotel when I am next time in Timisoara as I feel no urge to come back. But if I need to stay here again, I will know there is no big harm to do so.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steffff
LIDOTimisoara, Manager at Hotel Lido, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

The cars parked in our parking is no coincidence according to our occupation.We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed our cuisine.We accept all pertinent suggestions,but appologize me if you are not an architect you shouldn't express yourself about the architecture, because it was buil taking account of ground basement.
Our work is to please all customers and we accept all suggestions in order to progress.

Thank you for visiting us!
Ec.Andy Balanescu
manager@hotel-lido.ro
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel is OK but located far away from centre. A bad point is the parking. We choose this hotel because we seen a parking on the Internet page but has been occupied mostly by TM cars. At reception, they told us to come later to find a place. The reception personal prefer to stay in the next room than to the desk. Shortly, never again by this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with fru.pl

LIDOTimisoara, Manager at Hotel Lido, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

I appologize for the inconvenient.I also can tell you that the receptionist was punished 10% of his month salary.Regarding the parking issue ,our hotel provides free parking for 35 cars,and in that day it was a matrimony and a conference(for you I am sure it is not important) but in order to clarify I must provide you all detailes.I am not happy with these situations but I am sure that you could see some things you liked also.

Best Regards
+40 756 059 302
ontario, canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 1 teen and 1 kid) stayed at this hotel for nearly a week during July. We had a family suite which was beautifully appointed, comfortable beds and the linens were so nice!!. We were there durning a very hot period and the airconditioning worked great! The hotel is located not very far from the downtown area, we took a cab to the centre and also to the Julius mall, both were less than 10 lei ( less than $3) The staff were very professional and very friendly. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style with a pretty good selection. The roof top terrace with jacuzzi and swimming pool were a huge hit with the kids!! Over all, we had a very enjoyable stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Timisoara.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank trixy12
Dear Guest,

I must thank you for all good words and also I hope that you will give us the chance to host you in future.

Cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed recently at this hotel for a couple of nights whilst on business in Romania.

We had a large clean room with all the amenities that you require for a couple of nights.

Only a 10 minute ride into the centre of Timisoara and around 20 minutes to the airport.

Breakfast was pretty poor, the choice was extremely limited and the coffee machine was very temperamental and as there was no waiter in the self-service breakfast room, you sometimes had to do without unless you went looking for someone to come and fix it.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite room they are much larger than the standard ones, we had a free upgrade too which wa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank 50cents
Dear Guests,

Sorry for answering so late but I checked after your review the behaviour of my staff....you were right regarding their absence and refill of the breakfast line.I have applicated our internal penalty rules and in the future we hope that it will be avoided some similar behaviours.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

My family and I spent a night at the Lido on our way back to Italy after spending a week in Romania. We chose it because it had decent reviews and was affordably priced. We were not disappointed. The clerk at the reception desk was very helpful and check-in was a snap. Both rooms we reserved were large, immaculately clean, and all of the furniture was in good shape. Breakfast the following morning was also more than adequate with a varied selection of breakfast items, As we were traveling with gear on the roof rack of our SUV, we also liked the free, secure parking lot at the hotel. Evidently, they've got security cameras placed there to keep track of anything happening. Lastly, while the hotel is definitely not in the Timisoara's center, it only took us about 10 minutes to drive there and find parking. Bottom line is that we definitely recommend this hotel, especially for transient guests, and would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank ulical
Dear Guests,

We thank you for your good and warm words (sorry for answering so late) and we hope that in future you will choose our services once again.